[Suggestion] ASKING FOR A LANDMARK MESH EXPORTER

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Zimnel, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Zimnel Trailblazer

Seeing the upcoming disappearance of our beloved voxel game, which has been and is unique, It's time to do something, or at least trying.

Request of a Landmark mesh exporter

WHY AN EXPORTER
    Many of us invested hundreds of hours in our creations, and I say hundreds to say something, because it could be more :)
    We're not going to sell the objects next door, since the exporter shouldn't keep the associated features of the objects ( textures, any sort of map and or shaders).
    Just the rough 3D object.

Exporting the mesh to a generalistic format as OBJ or STL may allow us to use the exported object in almost any 3D app for our own enjoyment.

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?
    I'm going to use this Voxel Farm article as a starting poing:
    http://procworld.blogspot.com.es/2010/11/from-voxels-to-polygons.html

[IMG]

It's an oldie, but the first sentence says everything. Voxels are just a way to store 3D data.”
    Being the next one: “Somehow they need to be visualized. “
    That is a 2010 writing, but the core is what is interesting here. In 3D there's universal formats as OBJ. Universal 3D formats can be used in almost all 3D applications, and not all of those are super complex. Some allow painting the 3D object directly!

The only voxel data I found in the Landmark folders (I could be wrong here but those are the only ones I've seen) are some of the winning contest templates, and I say some **cough** because certain tower is not in there o/

As voxel data version can be and it probably would be a big problem trying to reimport directly in another voxel editor, that's the main reason for an exporter, being able to work with a generic format as a starting point.
    From there you have a lot of 3D editors to choose from

HOW DOES THAT LOOK?
    After you reapply textures and do an accurate polishing work, involving the creation of a nice and new 3D scene to get an awesome background, you can use your voxels in that scene. Here's an example on how voxel data looks integrated in Unreal 4: http://procworld.blogspot.com.es/2016/08/system-integration.html

[IMG]

EXPORTING OUTSIDE LANDMARK
    If you think in the social media tool made for Landmark, it's not impossible to export an ingame file to another place. That's what that tool is doing, it gives an order to the file to go to the specified Twitter account (if you're on Twitter given the case). That is the main reason why Landmark is asking for your Twitter account logging data when you first use the tool, you're giving the game perms to upload an image and text to your Twitter wall.

I thought a Landmark template exporter could work similarly. A pop up window or button added to the interface could give us the ability to export (put the converted mesh in a cloud folder) and give you the option to download it later in a folder of your choice in your computer.

It may look as a big badass block as seen in this wellknown vid!

[IMG]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp6hHpTxdRM

SHARING VOXEL DATA
    It seems our templates are all online and that could be the main reason why big template folders are/were so slow. since they may have to be downloaded in its entirety everytime you ask the game to show your templates collection. I'm just making assumptions on this one based on my own experience working as a tester for a programmer. If someone else has something to share on this, please do it!

Ah if it was as simple as it is in here : )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R_DReCJj-0

http://procworld.blogspot.com.es/2015/09/all-your-voxel-are-belong-to-you.html

HENCE THE QUESTION!
    I already know Landmark is not Voxel Farm, but it's based on it. Like a relative.
    Processes may not work the same but similarities and familiarity is there.
    And yes, all of our voxels are not ours, are Daybreak's, so here's the question:

Daybreak team (Terry Michaels or Steeve Klug if he's still around), could you consider adding an exporter in Landmark or outside Landmark (via our Daybreak's accounts if the meshes are online) for our mesh templates?

Only the ones made individually by us and just the rough mesh, not asking for textures, shaders or maps. A bit of 3D knowledge solves that. That could be a way to keep some of our work and continue doing something with it, just for personal enjoyment. Signing a disclosure agreement as if we were getting a patch or a new game version could solve the license issue.

Any input will be well received :)

note: Images and linked writings. All copyrights go to Voxel Farm.
    note 2: this is not a ranting/hate thread, keep it polite and on topic, please.
    Helie, Idrona and FWazzle like this.
  2. Zimnel Trailblazer

Adding some infos in here. The Cache folder stores the voxel data imported during the last game session so yes, it could be worth the try, but is better doing this properly : ) We also have "voxel" folders with numbers like 444 or 345 but... are all empty.
  3. Boudreaux Founder

YES! PLEASE DAYBREAK!
  4. Zimnel Trailblazer

5. Tarmuar_TT Trailblazer

This is a great idea, but I wouldn't hold my breath. It would require development time, and as it stands right now, even one man-hour is probably two hours too many for their budget.

We can be happy if they continue to do the the server restarts, but anything else has already been nixed imho.
  6. Zimnel Trailblazer

I know, but I have to try. I already had the "no" before starting : )
  7. s4ndm4n2014 Trailblazer

If you're asking for the devs to give this to that I wouldn't hold my breath. If you're asking the community to get something going that will do this, I don't think it would be an acceptable thing to do. We didn't license LM to make our own personal models for use anywhere we like, it's not 3ds max so the models created aren't ours to export and use elsewhere, it's still the property of the game company. As much as I understand why people would want this, considering how things have gone already, this just isn't going to happen.
    Zlyvr likes this.
  8. Zimnel Trailblazer

If you read again the post, you'll see I'm asking the devs. I'm not asking for their content, only for the objects we individually created. I don't want the textures, nor the maps, lights, nothing. I want a bare and rough mesh, free of any licensed content.

Quoting myself:

"HENCE THE QUESTION!
    I already know Landmark is not Voxel Farm, but it's based on it. Like a relative.
    Processes may not work the same but similarities and familiarity is there.
    And yes, all of our voxels are not ours, are Daybreak's, so here's the question:

Daybreak team (Terry Michaels or Steeve Klug if he's still around), could you consider adding an exporter in Landmark or outside Landmark (via our Daybreak's accounts if the meshes are online) for our mesh templates?

Only the ones made individually by us and just the rough mesh, not asking for textures, shaders or maps. A bit of 3D knowledge solves that. That could be a way to keep some of our work and continue doing something with it, just for personal enjoyment. Signing a disclosure agreement as if we were getting a patch or a new game version could solve the license issue."
    CoyoteDancer and Helie like this.
  9. s4ndm4n2014 Trailblazer

Well as I said I wouldn't hold my breath on that. They've abandoned the game, it's shutting down, why would you even think that they are going to go out of their way to give us something... for free, like objects in the game?
    Zlyvr and Tarmuar_TT like this.
  10. D'hara Trailblazer

Yeah, this isn't going to happen.
  11. Zimnel Trailblazer

Again it seems reading costs too much. I'm not asking for free objects. I don't want their models. I want mines, the ones I created.

Luckily for me, the Twitter community is being more collaborative :) It's not about "this isn't going to happen", is about support too. Even if "it's not going to happen". So... bump again.
    Helie likes this.
  12. Lilaeth Trailblazer

The ability to do this must already exist in some form, as we can now buy Player Studio stuff in Everquest 2. Could they not let us save our stuff and import it into that, at least? I have whole islands where I could place at least one of my current claims.
    Zimnel likes this.
  13. Grumbles Trailblazer

That is an entirely different process. Player Studio in other games import objects that are made externally by 3d modelling programs, like Maya. Even then the DBG staff has to do a lot of "tweaking" to make the items compatible with EQ/EQ2/etc.

Player-made objects/builds in game are done with in-game tools for manipulating voxels. That's a much different process than external 3d modelling.

What the OP is wanting is a utility that would take the in-game voxel structures and export them as Maya-type 3d objects. But that tool likely does not exist at all, or at most in very rough form. Given that the game is shutting down it is highly unlikely that they would dedicate the resources required to do this, particularly in a very short time-frame, as it would be new development.

Note that the original plans were to move some player-built items to EQN - which was also to be voxel-based. I never heard any plans to move voxel objects to non-voxel games like EQ/EQ2.
    Mavix and Zimnel like this.
  14. D'hara Trailblazer

I'm not being non-supportive. I'm being a realist.

In reality, you ARE asking for their models. Your models have never been YOUR models. It's in the terms. And I don't even think it's that. This is about budget. I doubt they'll put any extra time or $$ into developing new software so you can have their models. You're asking for them to do months of work on a game they have already announced is dead. And that's if they even know how to do it. They would probably have to hire someone and if they could do that, they probably would have already hired someone to fix the broken tools. So no, its just not going to happen. You can bump until you're blue in the face and I think you're just wasting your time.

If you're looking to be coddled by the twitter community then you should probably post this stuff there. Here is where you get the truth. And several of us have been telling you the truth about this game for quite some time now. Time to man-up and admit that this game is dead so you can move on to something better and start having fun again.

I would suggest that you spend whatever time is left placing your builds in the world so you can take a bunch of screenshots of everything. Then you can still enjoy them for years to come. I actually put up a website so I could do just that and all of my builds that were worth anything are posted online for anyone to see any time. My builds will never be truly lost. You should do the same.
    Aldente, Tarmuar_TT and Zlyvr like this.
  15. s4ndm4n2014 Trailblazer

@D'Hara: Get out of my head. almost exactly how I was going to reply XD.
    Tarmuar_TT, Zlyvr and D'hara like this.
  16. Zimnel Trailblazer

I will decide what to do with my time.
  17. Boudreaux Founder

Any time someone says "Im being a realist" It means they are being non supportive
  18. D'hara Trailblazer

So, you really think there's a chance in hell that the devs are going to do this for us? Sometimes when someone says they are being a realist, they are actually being a realist.

And Zim my suggestion was only a suggestion, not an order. If you really DO want to keep your builds, this is about the only way in which you'll be able to do it. Do it or don't. Don't really care at this point.
    s4ndm4n2014 and Zlyvr like this.
  19. s4ndm4n2014 Trailblazer

^^^ this.
  20. s4ndm4n2014 Trailblazer

Look the fact of the matter is, it's a little silly and quite presumptuous to think that after the number of years we've requested things for the devs to do in game while it was in development and were ignored, that at the end of the life of the game, after it's been announced to be shutting down, that the devs are NOW GOING TO GIVE YOU SOMETHING FOR FREE?! They won't even offer to give the founders of this game, who stuck by them, free copies of other titles or anything. How realistic is it to ask for them to give up anything at all that is theirs? Again, the models may have been created by you, but they were never YOURS, as soon as you chose to create things in a game owned by a company that declared all creations to be theirs, you gave up your rights. Anything that they give to us would be a gift to you or us, and based on their track record this is not going to happen.
    Zlyvr and Tarmuar_TT like this.