Which of these characters from the EQ franchise would you like to see in EQN?

Discussion in 'News, Announcements, and Dev Discussions' started by Dexella, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smidjun New Member

Yup I agree! Why is there seldom an "All of the above" button?
  2. Synra Well-Known Member

I get all that, but when it comes to Antonia Bayle, it just doesn't sit right with me. It feel like in EQN we should see an Anton Bayle as a major figure instead. I feel like if you include Antonia, you would just be including her because she was the EQ2 cover girl. There were more Bayles in EQ history than just her. More important ones even.

I mean, maybe if Anton Bayle was a major figure in EQN, and he had a little five year old daughter named Antonia, I could live with that.
    • Up x 3
  3. Murzerker Member

If I'm forced to choose just one, I pick Venril.
  4. Sordak Member

late to the party, but i heard someone say venril was already mentioned in the lore?
    Did i miss anything? when was that?
  5. Squirrels New Member

I see no reason Antonia Bayle should be in this version of the EQ universe at all. She was a useless character in the second EQ and not even in the first one.
  6. Zarriya Member

I would like to see a yes to all option too. I am wondering why Antonia Bayle is even a choice - I am assuming that she (or a relative) is a part of this considering she is on the official art:

[IMG]
  7. Moorgard Developer

That image wasn't necessarily intended to depict Antonia.

Keep in mind that some of these famous franchise characters could turn up much earlier (or later) in history, not necessarily at the start of the game. For instance...

Early in the Dal Era during the Age of Ascension, a warrior woman arose among the northern clans of humans named Antonia, who was renowned for her fierceness in battle. She conquered her rivals and united the clans into a fledgling kingdom, taking her home village of Bayle as its capital. Antonia of Bayle became the first of a line of rulers of the northlands, transforming the city of Bayle into a hub of human civilization.

Though the fortunes of the Bayle family would rise and fall over the ages, the legends of the first queen continued to endure among the northerners. Songs are sung to her in the halls of Halas even to this day, and her descendants are proud to carry on the family name.

It's certainly possible that one or more of her descendants--whether Antonia, Antonius, or some other name--will be important in the timeline of EQ Next.
    • Up x 2
  8. SOE_Brasse Member

I have to agree with "All of the Above!"

Here's Senior Game Designer Bill Trost with the Roundtable Response #39 on this topic
    ~Brasse
    • Up x 1
  9. Durost Member

Dont forget all the rare spawns that were added into lower level zones for the purpose of epic 1.0s. Many a new player got LOADING PLEASE WAIT... for getting too close.
  10. kalie New Member

Its nice for some nostalgia, but considering it is 10,000 years in the future from what we remember of them, and with the crash course of whats happened - I would think that most would be lost/forgotten, or simply tales from the past in hidden lore. It would be great to see many of the old gods and characters reappear, but it may be nice to run into descendants of the fore-said. Just my thoughts.
    • Up x 1
  11. LlyranKeen Well-Known Member

Needs more Fippy, will be waiting patiently...
  12. Zorg Member

Mistmoore should have computer generated trains! Mistmoore got my vote! lol
  13. Shayye New Member

I voted for Venril, but Mayong was def a close second for me!
  14. Xenor Member

Antonia Bayle was really kick-*** in Eq2, great skin ect... I really hope to see her back in Eqnext
  15. Keeble New Member

All the above of course! In due time.
    Should this have been....
    Which would we prefer to see first?

...The further EQN migrates away from an eventual link with EQ1, the further it tries to push me away. :(
  16. Mythicia77 New Member

Don't know why everyone keeps thinking this! EverQuest Next is not 10,000 years in the future from the original games - it's an entirely different timeline, a parallel universe if you will. Nothing that happened in EQ1 and 2 necessarily happened in this world. Our old favourite characters will crop up in EQN, leading different lives (and they'll still be awesome).
  17. Synra Well-Known Member

With the new video response, I have two thoughts here:

1. Fippy Darkpaw

You are all crazy. I can't believe all the love for this character, both from players here and in the video. I am one of those old school, year 1 EQ players. I remember Fippy perfectly well, but not the way others talk about him. Fippy was not some terror of the newbie areas the way the other characters here were. I always thought Fippy was the single dumbest NPC in the game, and I mean that in terms of intelligence, not opinion. All he did was spawn, yell something out (might as well have been "DERP!"), and then run face first into not one, but two guards who were way over his level.

He is the only NPC in the game I can think of who does something like this. Players will do this kind of thing from time to time, but they generally learn better after a few deaths. Fippy did this for YEARS. Imagine playing Super Mario Bros, and just running face first into that first Goomba over and over again, never learning to press the jump button. That's Fippy in my mind.

For all the big fat stupid Ogres in EQ, Fippy is still the biggest dummy on Norrath.

2. Meldrath

You ask what other iconic newbie terrors I would like to see? Definitely this rogue Gnome. I still remember getting into groups to camp the minotaur caves, and every once in a while, someone would get too greedy in pulling and go a little too deep. Then before you knew it, the evilest gnome in the world was there at the entrance wrecking people.

Like the other 'nemesis' characters in this poll, Meldrath was a learning experience. The lesson was "Don't mess with Meldrath".
    • Up x 1
  18. Nealio Member

Not to be "that guy" but the real question is to be framed within the following context:

Everquest lore has been erased and edited so much over the last 12 years that is hardly recognizable to those who played it during its rise to success from 99 to 01.

Given this context, why does it really matter if any original EQ persona is replicated in EQN? It won't have the same back story as originally written for EQ, hence it will be just another NPC with a familiar name.
  19. Nealio Member

This post explains the very reason why so many seem disappointed in "yet another re-write" of EQ lore.What exactly is the point of creating an entirely new game and populate it with npc's named after npc's from EQ when there is no correlation between the two npc's aside from that name? The name Miragul is already associated with an extremely hard mob in an extremely inaccessible portion of a remote zone. Why does it need to be "re-imagined"? And how would it create anything other than confusion and disappointment by re-using the name Miragul? How does it evoke and/or honor the spirit of EQ circa 1999 when you hail Miragul and see an elf of the Takish Empire?

Why not simply name this elf George or Jim? Less "baggage" and just as much relevance as naming it Miragul.

I am an avid EQ fan, that won't stop. I mean what I say in no ill will or malicious intent but I am just terribly confused by the whole idea of "re-imagining" EQ. Create it as EQ or don't seems to be the two logical options. Instead of a "re-imagining" I'd whole-heartedly pay to see a "returning" to the world/lore originally started by Smedley, McQuaid, Clover, and Trost. Then begin to truly flesh that out instead of yet another "rewrite".
    • Up x 1
  20. Vakr New Member

Mayong Mistmoore.

Castle Mismoore was my favorite dungeon besides Unrest in the original Everquest. The entire zone was shrouded in mystery and the layout was amazing. Even at high levels, I would go back there and explore the entire zone, trying to find something new. Every time I would go I would have an amazing experience.

He should definitely be included in EQNext, though why not change his story around? Mayong is old, and during his "life" he seen kingdoms come and go. How does he continue to live? Sure he is a vampire, but what is preventing a specific faction from destroying him? Easy, he has been a political influence for the past thousands of years. He has many aliases and he knows people in high places (maybe some of them are thralls?). It would be great to unravel the mystery of Mayong Mistmoore and his political influence. What better way to ascend to godhood than controlling kingdoms?
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.