Specialty Server Types? (Question Inside)

Discussion in 'News, Announcements, and Dev Discussions' started by Dexella, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Argel New Member

OK, so what I'm about to say is dependent on whether faction will exist. they have not announced this i think(correct me if I'm wrong).
    So, I'm supportive of all types of servers so long as they fit the lore. Currently all announced playable races belong to one faction "the Combine", this being said how can a PVP server exist when all player are fighting on the same side. I don't want characters in the game to fight each other just because they want to pick a fight, It makes no sense. Now, by no means am I saying to exclude PVP servers instead I would take a different approach.
    • Add factions that match the lore. this would allow for entire pvp servers
    • Have locations scattered around the world where player can compete in challenges such as tournaments for rewards or titles. (I would love to see this one happen).
    • Let Players commit crimes that bestow a bounty on their head. this would allow other player to hunt him/her down and claim the bounty. (I don't know how possible this is, but it would be really cool I think)
    I like PVP as much as the next guy, I just don't like when things are forced just for the sake of having them.
    • Up x 3
  2. Smoothlove Well-Known Member

we know so little about how they plan to implement pvp,the inclusion of pvp in this topic poll might be a trap haha.. I like the idea of factions with players fighting for the faction they support against different players.but we don't know how pvp is going to be.I think pvp is the most tricky one because I'd definitely agree to separate it in some area's of the game while I'd encourage to include it for other area's. I don't know about pvp zones..I myself might prefer a toggle mode whenever I feel like it..I wouldn't play on a pvp server but I'm going to leave that for the rest to debate.
    I do see advantages in special ruleset servers like "no fast travel" for people who strongly dislike it like myself..but since that is what is destroying mmo's why not get rid of it all together? hmm well.That was that and I leave it to the rest now
    • Up x 1
  3. Talathion Well-Known Member

Agreed, I don't believe people know the dire consequences of what they are asking. There should not be a separated game, it should be promoted by choice. If you want to be hardcore you should go to the most dangerous parts of the world and take on more danger with less of a group and get rewarded more for your hard work.

We don't need separate servers for this.
    • Up x 1
  4. Tannlin Member

Actually, to be more specific, I -want- an RP-PVP server. I voted PvP because RP is going to happen regardless if there's a rule set for it or not. That's how RP-ers role.
    • Up x 4
  5. bopalula New Member

Just want a European server that's run on equal terms with the North American ones as this was not always the case in EQ 1 & 2.
  6. Bempa New Member

I mostly find myself playing on PvP servers. Mostly cause I like the excitement of random pvp encounters. I'm a closet rollplayer and I find rp-servers interesting although the only difference from a normal and rp-server in most games is just the type. There isn't really any set rules the make the rp-server different appart from the people that actually play on that server. There might be more strict naming conventions but u still find Baddassorc, Legolass and Mightyjedi on those servers in most cases.

Special rules servers is a really cool idea. Having servers like loot or steal pvp could be a cool idea and make for interesting gameplay. I don't know how many would actually play that kind of server but it would open up an almost totally different game with just having a different ruleset to the game.
  7. Mobuhiro Member

While I would really Like an RP server, I feel that a Hardcore/Special rule set server for all those people whom request additional hardship would actually make more sense.
    • Up x 2
  8. Cosmic Cube New Member

I'm not much for RP, Permadeath doesn't really add anything for me, and PVP without purpose just feels tacked on. Special rule sets could be really interesting though, even if just to visit.
    • Up x 2
  9. Aurom Darkweaver New Member

Yes yes a million times yes. As a former necromancer for 7 years in eq1 I cannot agree more with this post.
    • Up x 5
  10. Talathion Well-Known Member

Its too restrictive for a Sandbox server.
  11. Gabriel New Member

I typically don't care about the rule-set except for being PVE vs. PVP (depending on what I want to play). I typically will go where the population is at and where there is a strong and friendly community regardless of rule-set. There are some exceptions:

1. Test servers where there is a dedicated community playing I tend to like in some games. I did this with EQ which had an awesome Test server community.

2. Special rule servers - I might play on one depending on the rules if I found them appealing. I might stay and play if it has a strong community.

3. Oceanic server - I belong to an AU guild that runs 24x7, and they tend towards the oceanic server. Members are all over the world, but it's interesting being able to log in at all hours and find people to play with.
  12. GameFrogger Member

I really like the sound of faction vs faction, I think that's one of the only ways real open-world PvP could be justified (and I am STRONGLY for it).
    Perhaps if there was a 'good vs. evil' type of system in place where a Dark Elf and a High Elf would be automatically flagged against each other? Or races that don't get along are only allowed to fight (no making friends). I'm not sure, but I'd find it hard to get into the experience when I could kill anyone I like even if they're my lore-wise partners.

How do lore factions work in the game so far, in general? It's pretty important information. I know it's the Combine, but...

Not at all for me, it's always just been a bonus. People in games with open-world PvP would fight over specific stuff and then try to delve into the lore and world that they were fighting for.
    • Up x 2
  13. Talathion Well-Known Member

PvP servers should not be because most of them have no rhyme or reason why they are camping or killing players or why other players are attacking them, its not only not immersive it does not fit the game type or the lore, it also propels hate and grief. Not only that it separates gear and bug fixes and problems.

No Server Separation is best. It means that nothing will be changed or balanced around one server and gives people and players the choice to do what they want to. You want to pvp? You can flag yourself for it, or kill a guard, or do a crime. Your going to pay for that choice and consequence. However THAT is immersion.

I want a PvP-RP-Hardcore Mode Server, however I know for a fact I won't get that, we all can't get what we want, and I know how "limiting" that can be. Freedom should be the choice.
  14. Trelonist Active Member

Maybe they should have offered the option "18+-server" because I feel like a lot of people are voting for RP, simply because kids are not attracted to that..
    • Up x 2
  15. Talathion Well-Known Member

There should not be "Separate Servers" all your doing is imprisoning the Sandbox world. Having one world with all rules in it would make the game that much better in the fact that its simple and straightforward and makes everyone happy. I want a RP-PvP-Harcore server, however I know I won't get that and I know how limiting that can be for others, but WHY do we need that prison? Why do we need "Limits?"

This is a Sandbox game, Freedom is best and will always be best. Spoken from an American.

I would want an +18 Mature Server ruleset as well. However if I was given tools or texture-override folder mods to allow such a thing and language thing I could make it +18 myself. Make a server that makes everyone happy, DON'T LIMIT YOURSELF.
  16. Night Nexdium New Member

I voted "no specialty servers" because I look at that option as the PvE servers...So PvE or PvE-RP servers would be my choice. I think having special rule set has it's positive and negative side.

The positive side is that if the "rule sets" are controlled by SOE, but the negative to that is if the players have control of the rule set's, then certain things may have the possibility of being abused.

PvP is an option that alot of people want...but having separate PvE and PvP servers is also has the possibility of splitting guilds up that plan on going over together. Where some are PvE and others are PvP...so the Arena system is perfect for them.

I'm gonna take a page from Guild Wars 2, where I loved the WvW combat system. That is another thought as well.
    • Up x 1
  17. GameFrogger Member

Well, a PvP-RP-Hardcore server would be great, I usually go PvP server > RP server > anything else, but like you said it probably won't happen.
    Anyway, I just feel like a no limits open-world PvP server would be great for the people that do love that sort of thing, and since it's kind of like a Marmite preference of you either love it or hate it, I'd prefer it was on a different server completely. People who love to open-world PvP are deadly serious about it and others really despise it, so I think it's best just to please both parties and not have a compromise.
    PvP's one of the main reasons I'm interested in this game, the destructability could really make this one of the best PvP games I've ever seen.

Most of my fondest memories of gaming and PvP in general was (hate to say it now) WoW, to me nothing beat the feeling of adventuring into dangerous enemy territory with high-level guards who were just waiting to kill me, stalking past them all and being in the middle of a danger zone looking for a kill was a real rush, and then there was the fight itself and getting away, it felt like a real breathing world when I was doing that stuff.
    But if I could have destroyed the world, had heroic movement, digged tunnels into enemy bases, blow up walls in enemy forts? I'd have played 24/7 until I dropped!

But yeah, I'm wondering, in EQN what's the situation on the races views on each other? I'm pretty sure certain races hate each other deeply like the Drow and High Elves, but what about the rest?
    Could we have a faction vs faction thing of Elves vs Short races, and so forth? Not sure if it fits the lore.
    • Up x 1
  18. Talathion Well-Known Member

I love open world pvp, but I hate people who go around killing low levels and camp players. That is "NOT" pvp, to me that is just mindless griefing. Having PvP as an "Option" or "Consequence" with a Karma/Flagging System would be best.

If you want to PvP, it should be a "fight", slaughtering low geared or underleveled players and making them want to quit before the game even starts is not a fight, and should not be considered PvP.
    • Up x 3
  19. Elskidor Member

I'm wondering is some of these polls are just thrown together last minute and without much thought just to keep people talking, debating and helping maintain the interest of the game. I think we all know Role Playing and PVP servers will be offered. The hardcore server would be something we should debate more on.
    • Up x 5
  20. Dygz Well-Known Member

W00t!!
    Dev responses make it likely we will have specialty servers.
    Let's push for a PvP server so we can have some space to PvE in peace.
    :p
    • Up x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.