Specialty Server Types? (Question Inside)

Discussion in 'News, Announcements, and Dev Discussions' started by Dexella, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smoothlove Well-Known Member

it can be equally frustrating for pve players that do not want to engage in combat but always get new invites though
  2. Elskidor Member

I was thinking something a bit more creative. I kind of figured we would be seeing PVP and roleplaying servers, because they have always been around so I'm a little disappointed that this was even a question, and you guys could not get more creative in your poll question.What does a hardcore server entail? I need some more examples of this, before voting on it.

I think there should be a server aimed for the players that enjoyed the challenge of the early EQ classic era. If there is one theme that has been in every single one of these threads, it is that a large chunk of the posters find many of the old school mmo format very appealing. Create a server that has limited travel, especially if the game ends up going the route of fast travel. Give it corpse runs even, no bazaar or broker system, heavy death penalty and an overall more challenging time leveling up and adventuring through zones. I would love to play on a server that provides a great deal of challenge and time, and I would love to have a mix of excitement and fear while adventuring into the world.
    • Up x 4
  3. Sir Francis Member

Like I said, I really do agree with you but leaving so much freedom to players causes chaos. We cry for freedom but don't know what to do with it when we get it. I'm not trying to change your mind just giving you something to think about too.
  4. Thea New Member

I agree with everything there with the exception of:
    • Increased over-all difficulty level so that soloing is discouraged by the strength of the content.
    While yes, it is a multiplayer game; there is, and will always be some lone wolf types that would prefer, at least some of the time, to play alone. There will also always been certain times of day or days of the week where some may have trouble finding groups. I think best solution would be having more than one server type to choose from, but if that isn't an option then best bet is to accommodate as many player types as possible on the one. There are as many player types as their are individuals behind the screen, so admittedly that would be hard but variety is the spice of life and all that. :)
    • Up x 3
  5. Diknak New Member

Hardcore, but not permadeath. I want corpse runs again! To me, that would be hardcore enough.
    • Up x 1
  6. Maloy82 New Member

I know this is off topic, but I was thinking about this, Rp and pvp can co exist, on the same server, if open world pvp is set up right, and by this I mean, for example. swg had it set up with the GCW going on, and each player if they wanted involved would go to a recruiter and recruit there self in. so just an example, say something was added to lore, such as, a war going on between races, like Dark elves, wood elves, for example, and each npc city had recruiters for what ever faction that was involved, that's just an example how it could work, not exactly an idea. this would make pvp completely optional, and make both sides content in my opinion
    • Up x 2
  7. Askari New Member

Pretty much all single player games now come with different difficulty modes. MMORPGs need to catch up.

My biggest problem with most recent MMORPGs is that I have been playing them non-stop since 1999 and they are too darn easy to hold my attention for long. I understand that the developers have to cater to the lowest common denominator and maintain a low "barrier to entry" for newbies. However, that leaves a lot of us consuming an MMORPG in a couple months and then desperately waiting for the next big game.

I understand that Next on the whole can not possibly be as difficult as EQ1, but give me a server that is much more difficult... and you'll have my business for significantly longer.
    • Up x 2
  8. Smoothlove Well-Known Member

will we be able to switch between those different rule servers like channels I wonder?then choosing 1 special rule server might not trap us in our choice forever
    • Up x 1
  9. Talathion Well-Known Member

It can, it did in SWG. The most hardcore of Roleplayers in SWG also did /duels and fights with their own "special" gear to make them last longer, long gun fights and a "player-made" honor system. Guilds could also war each other, however they had the option to turn this off at any time, Guild Wars like this followed a strict honor system, even though players were red and yellow to each other they did not attack each other without a "Roleplay" reason, people who didn't follow these rules were removed from the guild.

Immersion should be what drives the game. Letting players make the rules and having consequences to player actions is what makes a game, not forcing players in four separate prisons.

I want freedom of choice in my game, having four mini-games separates my freedom. You want a game that limits freedom and choice like almost every other MMO on the Market, FINE. However I will make my stand.
  10. Mallas Scumlord Well-Known Member

I am ok with a RP server though i don't want to split up the community like that. PvP can be set up in certain areas of certain continents or full continents with open pvp (maybe be able to take coin from players killed. I think the steal items isn't all that great of an idea).

I want to keep the community together. We need the nice RPers on the all servers to cancel out as much of the stupid 5 year old drivel and genital talk in map chats.
  11. WildeNight Active Member

Roleplaying, first and foremost - with Hardcore and Special Rulesets nearly as high on my list. If I could get one server that catered to all three... HEAVEN.

I wish we could vote on more than one choice on some of these polls. LOL.
    • Up x 5
  12. Talathion Well-Known Member

That is another problem. I want an RP-PvP-Hardcore Server. However I know they won't have it. I also understand that restricting it all will not only have negative effects on the gameplay, but the entire game itself.

Having one server with all rules combined and all types of game-play would make everyone happy and not imprison us all within one style. It would also be super immersive and promote healthy game balance and bugging.
  13. Askari New Member

Do you even lift, bro?
    • Up x 2
  14. Atomexcel New Member

I'm going to preface this by saying I like different gaming experiences and I think most players do as well.
    An idea for special rule set servers.
    Player ran servers (rule set wise).
    Say the base rule set does not change, it is a RP, PvP, or whatever server. The rules that can be changed could range from length of holiday events, corpse running or not, fast travel or not, porting reset times, etc. This can offer a ton of fresh game playing feel on and ongoing basis.
    Sony could be very creative and provide a slew of options, even getting some from the community.
    How to determine when and what changes take effect could be done interestingly as well. While it could be a server wide poll, or randomly generated at intervals, or by elected players.
    Elected players could run for Major of a town or Senator of a region or even a Steward of Norrath type position. These terms could last for a predetermined amount of time and could only be held once or twice by an account.

Since the rule set would be changing and evolving and offering new experiences to players it is highly likely, basically a guarantee that players will end up with one or two rules they dislike, but it's temporary and not permanent.

I think this idea in concept is pretty interesting and fun.
  15. Caonedh Active Member

I would love an RP server with something as close to EQ1 as possible. As for the idea of "ramping up the difficulty," I hesitate to join that crowd before I know what the base difficulty of the game will be.
    • Up x 3
  16. Maverix1804 Active Member

I like the idea of different types of servers. I am not only in favor of the regular types of server (PvE, PvP, RP) but I like the idea of some different types of server. I remember in Eq1 Vanilla where we had Race vs Race Server and Faction vs Faction server

Race vs Race - Each race belong to its own factions and fight against all other. Each server is free to make alliances with other races to fight/defend against others.

Factions vs Faction - The world was split in 4 major factions: Humans (Human, Barbarian, Erudit, Half Elf), Elves (High Elf, Wood Elf, Half Elf), Short Races (Gnome, Dwarf, Hafling) and Evil (Dark Elf, Ogre, Troll). Each factions fought against each other for Norrath.

I really loved the factions server and how enchanters could cast illusion spells and freely roam in any city =)
    • Up x 1
  17. daGELLO Active Member

Specialty server idea...

EQ1 server
    EQ2 server

Since it's a voxel based world, just build the original sets in the game.
    • Up x 2
  18. Talathion Well-Known Member

You can make one server rule with options that allow this depending on the choices you make inside the game.
  19. Mallas Scumlord Well-Known Member

oh i think a hardcore server is useless. You can check a box to make yourself hardcore and play with EVERYONE else.
    • Up x 2
  20. Loradio New Member

I put a vote down for PVP, mainly because I don't believe it should be a "SPECIAL RULE SET" server.. it should be the standard. As for other specialty server types, RP/HC/PVE ONLY, these are fun to run around in every once in a while to try something new when the game gets boring.
    BUT PLEASE do not even be tempted to allow character transfers from RP and PVE to PVP or HC..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.