Reading Order of Lore Books [Updated April 8, 2015]

Discussion in 'News, Announcements, and Dev Discussions' started by Moorgard, Aug 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moorgard Developer

Hey folks!

First, let me say how awesome it is to have a centralized place for conversations about story and lore. :)

I thought it would be handy to post the definitive reading order for eBooks (available for download here (click link)) in one place, as this question keeps coming up a lot. So here you go:

These stories are set early in the Age of Empire:
    • The Razor's Edge
    • No Poetry in Death
    The next stories take place at the end of the same age, chronicling the Ashfall and the Dragon War:
    • The Stars of Home
    • Prison of Fire
    • Rise of the Ring
    • The Enemy of My Enemy
    • The Mage of the Teir’Dal
    • The Arch Mage (Parts One & Two)
    • Fall of Bastion
    • The Last Stand of the Teir’Dal
    • Dreaming in Shadow (new book -- added April 8. 2015)
    These stories are set during the Age of Exile:
    • Dreaming in Shadow*
    • From Ash Comes Fire
    I'll keep this thread updated as new stories are released.

* Upcoming release.
    • Up x 29
  2. Kupo New Member

THANK YOU!!! I've got the EQ Lore books up next after I finish my current read, but I'm obsessive about read order - even when it doesn't matter. The OCD side of me loves you right now.
  3. shadyendless New Member

Thank you so much for this post.
  4. Iadien Member

Also, they are sorted chronologically on the website, minus the newest eBook.
    • Up x 2
  5. Hannar New Member

Thanks, MG.
  6. Moorgard Developer

Yep, the newest story will always be listed first with a "new" banner on it. We work with the web team to keep the others in chronological order from left --> right.
    • Up x 4
  7. Kupo New Member

Awesome to know, too. So hard to verify this without checking on the plots and getting potential "spoilers" in the timeline of events
  8. Zenrei New Member

Thank you for this post.. I loved reading the Ebooks. Great backstory and I can't wait till the next :)
  9. Murzerker Member

In a bit of an EQ2 rut, (waiting on my craft helper to make a new recipe), so tonight I start the eBooks again. Hopefully pick up some details I missed.

Any ETA on the next book? Can we expect a book a month or just sort of when you have them edited you'll release them?
  10. Elddar New Member

Any chance of making the eBook files a little more Kindle Paperwhite friendly? The Kindle can read the file, but the text looks so washed out, it is not really readable.
  11. Iadien Member

I convert them to mobi files. Works well enough. google pdf to kindle.
  12. Aleenik Active Member

I think it would be great if, on the ebook page, you guys stated somewhere that they are in chronological order from left to right. I also think that even the new ebooks should be placed in their proper chronological order right away instead of being placed on the far left. A lot of people get confused about the reading order, which is why you made this thread in the first place of course, so I think if my suggestions were to be implemented, that problem would be nonexistent.
  13. Cathranis New Member

Judging from the events of The Razor's Edge that it goes first in the reading order? Seems to be taking place as the Dal Empire is subjugating the other races.
  14. Moorgard Developer

I talked about this in the news article that accompanies the new story:

So for a change, all stories on the page are exactly in chronological order! :)
    • Up x 4
  15. Ballin Stormhammer Member

New updated list of books in order to timeline.

Before ---Age of Allies--Takish Age or Age of Empire.

The Razor's Edge---The Dal Era---The Takish Age

The Stars of Home The Dal Era--- The Sundering Age

Prison of Fire The Dal Era--- After The Sundering Age right before war.

Rise of the Ring The Dal Era--- The Dragon War

The Enemy of My Enemy The Dal Era---The Dragon War

The Mage of the Teir’Dal The Dal Era---The Dragon War

The Arch Mage (Parts One & Two) The Dal Era---The Dragon War

Fall of Bastion The Dal Era---The Dragon War

The Last Stand of the Teir’Dal The Dal Era---The Dragon War

From Ash Comes Fire The Combine Era---The Age of Exile

After, Age of Hero's where we come in.
    • Up x 1
  16. Swamp Tao Well-Known Member

Wow, seeing it all set up in front of me like that makes me realize just how terrible a path the Shissar put the races of EQ upon by showing up. Tainting the elves from trusting other races (as well as setting up the Takish empire through Valinor's efforts as general against the Shissar), retaliating against the elves by sending someone to sabotage the spire and cause the Ashfall, if that wasn't enough for the Ring of Scale to doubt them they find out that the elves have been imprisoning and torturing dragons (thanks to Valinor's son Miragul's commands) which starts the Dragon War just after the mortal races are getting used to not being at war with scaled beings. Of course, that ends in their exile, only to end up back in the Shissar's hands with a slave army already at their backs once they think they're FINALLY safe. And THEN, when the combine and the slaves actually push their slavers back and close the portals to their world, a faction of the slaves decide to emulate their former masters, forcing them to flee again!

Geez, someone needs to Greenmist those suckers. Just don't let any get on the Ogres!
  17. VisGaming New Member

I just finished reading these books. Absolutely awesome. I love that we are getting a beautifully written history lesson on Norraths past. Thanks so much for these , and please continue to make them :) !
    • Up x 3
  18. Evilar_the_adventurer Member

THANK YOU! I just listened to a amazing dramatic production of Prison of Fire and Edward LeCore has done The Enemy of my Enemy in two parts as well, they are fantastic.

I look forward to reading The Stars of Home and continuing with the rest.
  19. FotZik New Member

Gonna start right away :)
  20. Sivit New Member

Let's say I'm totally new to Everquest coming from WoW. Should I just read the above books in that order, or is there another resource I should check out first? I want the world and the names to have weight when I begin my adventure.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.