Norrathian Races & Building Collaboration

Discussion in 'News, Announcements, and Dev Discussions' started by Dexella, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Al Borland Member

Okay as much as I love dwarves, Dark Elves!

We're going to need lots of neon glowy colors though...
  2. Randin Member

To me, it makes the most sense to start with the simpler architectural styles, and leave the more complicated ones for when the building tools are in their more-or-less complete state.

When I think 'dwarven architecture', I think straight lines and geometric shapes; hard to get much more straightforward than that. So it makes sense to use them for the first of these collaborations.
  3. Neriifur Member

Dark Elf.

I personally cannot stand drawves.
    • Up x 1
  4. Al Borland Member

Is it the overly hairiness?
    • Up x 1
  5. EverQuestNextfan Active Member

@RedAngel.

You hit the nail on the head here.

I was wondering how they were going to build these starting cities. And when I started thinking of the list of things, I started imagining a large list like you complied. And that's just the basic feel of the starting city.

What happens when you start adding the trainers and necessary vendors for each class to each starting city? Especially if they are allowing all classes for all races from the start. Last I heard there were 40 classes. That would mean at least 40 class trainers and the large amount of spell/tomb vendor's needed to equip players with their training for each city?

I know EQ players view the Nexus as the thing that started the downfall of EQ, but it may be a necessary evil if they are truly going with 40 classes. Maybe the Nexus can be there, as a training, crafting, spell/tomb vendor hub, auction house/bazaar, banking, guild hall hub, buff hub. While not being a travel cheat hub.

I think most players will be happy with it, as long as it does not interfere with EQ style travel. So basically each starting city could have a "book" that teleports people to the Nexus. They can train, buy stuff. But when it comes time to leave, they could only return to their own cities. Not quick travel to other player race's cities. Thus the Nexus would be a hub to train/shop and meet others, and maybe get other players to port you to other areas. But it would not be a travel cheat.

I know it's old school, but I think the vote clearly showed, that EQN fans favored EQ style travel. Walk, use your mount, get a bard to run your group some place. Mooch a sow from a druid or ranger. Get a druid or Wizard to port you some place.

Maybe they can have NPC druid/wizard port areas that port you to major areas every 15 minutes or so. Like to another continent. But other than that, show people how huge the world is, by having them travel.
  6. Zeoni Member

Going for Dark Elf here .. Sorry Dwarves I can't say I even know where to start.

Races I played Dark Elf, High Elf, Wood Elf , Iksar , Karren , and Ratonga .
  7. EverQuestNextfan Active Member

@Hebitsukaza:

I think Orcs are totally new as a player race in the EQ franchise.

So a ton of people will probably be quite excited when they start getting down to the nitty gritty of the orc starting city.

Personally I hope they end up being more like the stereotypical D&D, Rolemaster Orcs. I personally loved the way they did the lore for Orcs and Goblins in the Rolemaster "Undground Races" book. Their also a great choice as player classes. As unlike Dark Elves do not require an entire re-write of their lore to allow them to travel in daylight. Orcs hate the light, but are not seriously inhibited by it.

If the devs decide to give a great storyline to the Orcs. I think there is fantastic potential to make them a very interesting player race.

As I said in another post. I hope all the underground races get some decent attention paid to them in EQN. In most Lores, Dwarves, Orcs, Dark Elves and Gnomes would be underground races.
  8. Hebitsuikaza New Member

You know-- it is entirely possible that the previous methods of training done in EverQuest I and II will be deemed far too troublesome and cumbersome to make it into the next edition. A lot of other MMORPGs have come out since EverQuest II was in production and may have highlighted better ways to handle leveling and gaining new powers rather than "go to a mob in the city, buy a bunch of usable items, use those items."

Also... while there might technically be 40 classes, they are arranged in a tree where many of them are specializations of others. Really, there are only about 14 or so classes-- they just almost all have 2 or more branches.

I think it might be best for them to review that anyhow. There is really no need for more than a dozen classes. Those classes just need to be flexible enough to allow for players to play them in different ways.

In fact, if general way of playing when leveling up would not be to buy all powers available to you, but rather to focus on one particular power subset and then once you hit max level, you can work on earning other abilities with your class allowing you to slowly master other play styles with the same character, it might add a lot to the game.
  9. Ancientone New Member

if we are to work on the general feel for a race we should start with the basics....Landmark has plenty of mining available such would be the draw for Dwarves...if there were hunting then I would say Dark Elves...but sadly at this point I see no Elves or a draw for them in the game at this point as the lore is not in place yet....much less the darker Brothers or third cousins the Dark Elves....so to be fair Dwarves would have more to do at this point so designing for them makes more sense at this time.
  10. Durost Member

This was an interesting question, but it was hard select one, the question is, did dark elves of the time period opt for subterranean structures the same as the dwarves? If the answer is yes I would rather build in the dwarf style, if not I would rather build in the inky style.
  11. Syllogy Well-Known Member

Uh no. Totally incorrect.

40 independent classes, each with their own skills, techniques, spells, etc.
  12. Daalberith New Member

Dwarves to me see to have a somewhat straight forward style. Still, Elves are near the bottom of my list right above Fae/Arasai. I'd vote for almost any other race over any of them, even Frogloks. So I picked the lesser of two evils imo.
  13. Druid Member

I would love to see the Dark Elves done first. However I think that waiting a while for improved building tools and new props would improve the look and feel of their buildings. I think that at the moment the quality and feel of Dwarven structures would fair somewhat better than Dark Elf structures.
  14. Ilvai New Member

My primary character across the years was a Dark Elf, but we've already seen a fair share of concept art surrounding dark elves... there's also been heavy lore on the Teir'Dal, so I think the dwarves and other races should get some love.

Vote Dwarf!
  15. Snakebite84 New Member

Yes! This is the kind of question ive been waiting for! Dark elves, dark elves and more dark elves!! Love to see how nerriaks lookin 11 years after the first of many times i found myself lost in there

But i can understand why dwarves would be a better choice due to having simpler looking buildings.
  16. Saje New Member

Dark Elves get my vote!
  17. Darktide Well-Known Member

Definitely need props created by your design/art team for the winner of this poll. There is no way we can create objects with the same detail that is found within your props. It would be nice if we could, but Landmark does not provide such avenues.

Without proper props, the designs will be rather bland.

Weapons Racks would be a good start.
  18. Nanfoodle Member

Took me hours to find my Necro trainer in Neriak. I felt like every area I explored was something magical and a mystery. Going deeper into the bowels of Norrath sent shivers up my spine. 100% Dark Elves all the way. I sure hope this is done well, as this was my fav city in EQ1.
  19. RampagingKitty New Member

Are players going to be able to claim land and build buildings and such in Everquest Next? Just like we are able to do in Everquest Landmarks
  20. Nanfoodle Member

Not set in stone but the devs said at this point that there will be areas in each city for player housing, a district. They dont see EQN being a build anywhere game but again not set in stone. If there is a district in each city, my guess is it will end up like FF14 where that district will have shards so there will be room for all to build. Also was mentioned if I remember right, that building will be themed to the city you build in.

Click HERE for the devs feedback.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.