Landmark Build Out Contests (New RT Format)

Discussion in 'News, Announcements, and Dev Discussions' started by Dexella, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostPaw Member

Personally it would be cool to see competitions to build things we might see in EQNext. While alternative genre competitions may be fun they will essentially be meaningless outside the competition itself. Where as if something suitable for EQNext wins, then that can feature in the world you're building....and that is all kinds of awesome, even if I'm unlikely to ever win!
  2. skeletonbuns New Member

This is amazing. How can you connect it to the lore?
  3. Bloodwyne New Member

This was one of the hardest questions to choose only 1 answer. I picked EQN but I actually like the idea of rotating build contests with different themes.

What if there were a nostalgia contest, is it possible to put items from EQNL into EQ and EQ II? Or with a Sci-fi contest to get EQNL into Planet Side 2?
  4. SirCharles New Member

I voted for EQN. I agree with a previous poster. Lets focus on moving towards EQN until that is launched and then start with other contests. I suppose a random non-EQN contest here there would be good as well though.

I would love to see some concept art released, so that can be the basis of these EQN building contests.
    • Up x 1
  5. HalasRadar Active Member

Tell us more about the Navy?
  6. Syllogy Well-Known Member

I make Norrath-y things... :D

[IMG]
    • Up x 4
  7. swami on the mountain Member

Wait, I'm not following. What's the "new RT format?" I miss something?
  8. Wudbine Well-Known Member

Really only interested in making the "New Norrath." But some of that absolutely SHOULD be an homage (or rather, a design for the older version of) EQ. (I know this is going to irritate the heck out of some people...but I don't even consider EQ2. At all. It's like some kind of twisted stepsister.)

Frankly I want to redesign Kelethin.
    • Up x 2
  9. Talzar of Quellious Active Member

It seems to be that they're going to give us some context and not just toss an open to interpretation poll at us.
  10. Daniel Active Member

Use the castles and monuments the people built in Landmark to create Ralling Calls for EQN.
  11. kookykoko New Member

I agree!
    • Up x 1
  12. kookykoko New Member

Looks like helping build the game that will become Everquest Next is the way to go. I have never played EQ1 or 2 so architecture from their will only have such an effect on me. I am excited to see how the new world of Everquest Next is going to look like.
  13. chamazul New Member

Well i won't say just Norrah, fantasy is ok with me and hopefully might even add inovative content to Norrah itself...
    Either way, I will hope it doesn't become a "Who's got the best castle?" Contest.
    • Up x 1
  14. Syllogy Well-Known Member

Some work I did yesterday:
    [IMG]
    • Up x 5
  15. Kairis Nabi Member

Architecture for the new Norrath ftw!

I'd love to see the direction of the new world we'll be adventuring in. After a good taste of that, it would be cool to see some throw back lands giving homage to EQI/II.
    • Up x 1
  16. Kairis Nabi Member

I'd hate to see how big the animal it was that you got that giant tusk from ;)
    • Up x 1
  17. Fionna New Member

I really hope SOE does lots and lots and LOTS of Norrath building contests.

With the amount of people passionate about Norrath participating, and SOE choosing only the submissions that meet EQN standards, it is my hope that quantity over quality will not be an issue.

The reason I hope for this is because most MMO worlds are totally unfun to explore, because not only is the terrain small and not realistic in scale, but it's full of recycled models. Even on less than stellar builds in Landmark that just look like someone was experimenting with the tools, I'm inclined to explore the interiors, or climb stairs to the top. Why? Because I never know what I'm going to see. Now imagine a whole world filled with high quality stuff hand picked from the best of the lot.

Never knowing what's around the corner is an aspect of exploration that is lost on most MMOs because most MMOs only focus on raid encounters, linear quest hubs, and vertical progresion anymore.

With its Landmark+voxel+procedural model, EQN has a unique, never before possible opportunity to have one of the best, most explorable worlds the genre has ever seen.

I would love to see the day when I can travel for months through Norrath without ever seeing a recycled building, cave or interior.

So yes, as many EQN building contests as possible!
    • Up x 2
  18. Bloodbeard New Member

I chose eq/eq2 homages, but really I don't see why homages and architecture for EQN couldn't be accomplished at the same time. While it doesn't need to be exactly freeport style, or Neriak style, etc... it IS going to be Norrath and so I would suspect some buildings to remain, and much of the new architecture to display the inspirations from, or contributions toward, eq/eq2 time period. :)
  19. kookykoko New Member

Great job!
    • Up x 1
  20. kookykoko New Member

From the video's posted on youtube from all the alpha players, I don't think that will be an issue. Most of the people are dedicating their time to building amazing original projects. I am really excited for this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.