Fast travel in EverQuest Next: love it or leave it?

Discussion in 'News, Announcements, and Dev Discussions' started by Dexella, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spencer510z New Member

long travel with faster methods available (at a cost).

spirit of wolf (sow)(faster run speed)
    wizard/druid ports
    gate necklace (allowed non-gating classes such as warriors the ability to gate at a high reagent cost)

this would affect looking for groups as well, if you spent 100g or 2hrs traveling to a far away desired grouping spot, you would more than likely build friendships with those people because you would see/group with them for several days before deciding to travel back to civilization.
    • Up x 3
  2. mouser Active Member

I do get what you're saying but I don't know if that would happen today.

EQ 2 tried on launch to have an 'interdependent' crafting system, where all crafters needed 'subcombines' created by another class of crafter to make their items. The idea was that all crafters would be dependent on each other, creating a stronger community. The result in the game didn't quite work out that way.

Part of it was due to some design flaws (some classes were more 'dependent' than others) but part of it was just people not wanting to deal with other people.

A LOT of players play MMO's to be in an ever changing (if only by updates and expansions - Next takes this to a new dimension) world inhabited by lots of other live players. That doesn't mean they actually want to talk to or deal with those other people directly though.
  3. Dygz Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean they want to be dependent on other players. Right.
  4. Smoothlove Well-Known Member

I wastn't there at launch of EQII so can't judge it
    what really can annoy me in the kitchen is when I am supposed to do the cooking,
    but then this person gets in that starts to interfere with the ingredients and what should be in and when I should add things,..
    However I do appreciate help if someone says "ill cut the onions for you"

I think, by what you say, that system failed because it let other player interfere rather than help out.
    Perhaps if new recipes can be unlocked if players cook together at the craftstation,things would be different.
    the design flaw probably was that it stimulated players to interfere with each other,rather than help

"not wanting do deal with other people" leads to "I want everything solo in an mmo"
    -> players finish content in weeks (or even days)and move on to next mmo since they have no real attachment to what is in the world anyway.

“If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” - James Michener

food just like music,people,religion,culture are things to inspire us on the travel
    • Up x 1
  5. Dygz Well-Known Member

There was no interference. You just couldn't progress unless you asked other crafters for their crafted items.
    A cook would be forced to depend on player butchers, gardners, dairy farmers and spice merchant for their wares.
    But, players, in general, don't want to be forced to rely on players who are strangers and beg them for help obtaining ingredients, so lots of crafters just used alts.
  6. Smoothlove Well-Known Member

and knowing classic mmo's, that would end up with gardners selling 1 apple for 10000000000 gold
    No wonder they'd be using alts to craft the other items.What they had in mind was good but the implementation was bad.

knowing that mmo's provide with incentives to be greedy
    it just makes people angry that other people are so greedy ,when the game forces them to depend on greedy players.Greed destroys generosity and openness

Being forced to depend=/= providing with incentives to help each other out
    I think if players can unlock new things by crafting together it would encourage them to try to find new recipes together.There is only 1 facebook game I ever played,but it doens't seem to exist anymore since 2012;restaurant city
    And in that game you really helped each other out by visiting each others restaurant
    You could trade ingredients for free with friends if you(and friend) both had an ingredient that could unlock a recipe for friend and you,so you traded.. rather than you both buying it expensive from the market
    this is a link http://restaurantcity.wikia.com/wiki/Ingredients
    Just because they had it wrong in EqII doesn't mean it is a flawed concept to make players help each other
    They just have to make sure mmo's provide the incentive to help each other out first rather
    than the greedy personal incentives mmo's have had for all these years
  7. Dygz Well-Known Member

That's right.
  8. swami on the mountain Member

No Fast Travel, and here's why...

Why was fast travel put into games in the first place? It was because traveling was boring. Places never changed, monsters were the same, NPCs were the same, quests were the same. etc. Players were also forced to go back and forth due to quests. Go get your quests, go do your quest, go back and get your reward and next quest, go do that, so on and so forth. So they ended up traveling more than doing something "important."

Make traveling more fun! and this wont be an issue.
    You've already started doing that with this more dynamic, destructible, creatable world.
    Have interesting things possible where-ever you go.
    Have the roads, paths, bridges, villages change.
    Have multiple ways to travel. Whatever they may be: steeds, gliders, rafts, zip lines, whatever.
    Also makes those ways change. Hey the river dried up or was damned, the horse trail got blocked, the gliders got stolen, or somebody built a new bridge, put in a rope ladder, made a short cut trail, dug a tunnel.

Main point: if the game and therefor the traveling is fun, then players are not going to gripe a lot about there not being fast travel.

Yes I know it's daunting to know it'll take hours to cross the map without a fast travel method, BUT that's the point. Remember...

"It's about the journey, not the destination."

Hope this helps. =)
    • Up x 3
  9. Dygz Well-Known Member

Depends on the specific reason we're making the journey.
    But, EQN will have fast travel and instant travel. The devs have already responded to this poll.
    Fast travel will be in because the world is huge and sometimes players need to travel quickly in order to group.
  10. Wudbine Well-Known Member

Dygz - you're oversimplifying and making it sound worse (I know, some of you think "better") than it is.

They said there will be a network of non-instantaneous travel nodes that have to be discovered before they can be used. I suspect we're talking something like the original WoW flightpaths. They said specifically that instantaneous travel was "something they plan on limiting." I for one am hoping they are only going to have player-initiated fast travel (Group teleports with very limited destinations for a very few classes, and at a level of training that means these teleports will only be available for a fairly small percentage of players, i.e., maybe 1 in 10.)

Personally I find this repulsive, but since many of you have no patience whatsoever, have at it. Hope you continue to enjoy the game 6 months in when you can get everywhere in a jiffy and the game world feels the size of your living room.
    • Up x 3
  11. mouser Active Member

Without knowing the size of the world, we really can't come to conclusions.

Take Daggerfall. With no fast travel it would take you more than a week (I believe several) of real time to run from one side of the world to the other. Does that make the world feel large? I suppose so, but what if you actually wanted to meet someone on the other side of that world? Without some form of 'fast travel', it just isn't going to happen; at least not anytime soon.

I hope it is like WoW's griffon system. Fast enough to be 'convenient' but slow enough to still let you appreciate the size of the world. Well done flight paths to show you some sights that you could never see from the ground and maybe even a few places you didn't know were there you could try to find.

Edit: To those who think Daggerfall isn't a good comparison: Both Next and Daggerfall are (will be) largely procedurally generated worlds. There is no reason Next can't be every bit as large as Daggerfall. There could even be several continents that size if the devs ever want to take it that far.
  12. mouser Active Member

Someday I'll learn the difference between "edit" and "reply" :oops:
  13. Wudbine Well-Known Member

Hey, I think I can actually agree with you on this, Mouser :) At least for the most part. Since it already appears that my preference for NO game-supplied fast travel is off the table, this is what I'd like to see too, with some caveats:
    First, I'd like the fast-travel network to be NON-INSTANCED and VULNERABLE. In other words - I'd love it if a dragon or other flying beast could swoop in and knock you off your fast-travel thingy, even in dangerous territory :) Second...I'm only afraid of this because of the (admittedly questionable)"slippery slope" argument. I'm afraid if they start here, they'll eventually listen to the whiners who don't know what's best in the long run and just make everything easier, as every MMO seems to have done to date.
    • Up x 2
  14. mouser Active Member

WoW's griffon/hippogriff paths at launch were GENIUS.

The first time I flew into Ironforge I was absolutely blown away - I still remember that moment. I remember flying over that zone in the middle with the big red critters and the lava.

With a bit of planning (and assuming you've been there before), you could get pretty much anywhere in a half hour. 45 minutes if it was really remote. To me that's a good travel window - 15 minutes for close by - If they're going to have instant, and it sounds like they are, that could connect the 'hub' cities somehow, and then the longer flights the further out you go (hopefully there will be towns and stuff out there).
  15. Dygz Well-Known Member

It is what it is. How it sounds will be subjective.

The world will remain the size that it is. When I want to slow travel -which I typically prefer- I will slow travel.
    When I feel there is a time pressure, I will fast travel.
    That's the beauty of having options.

Game worlds become small when zones are static and can be outleveled and we're stuck in an endgame waiting for a handful of new zones to conquer.
  16. Dexella Content & Social Media Manager

Hey all,

This topic has generated some interesting discussion! Lead Game Designer Darrin McPherson and Senior Brand Manager Omeed Dariani discuss this topic in the response video:

If you haven't seen the Heroic Movement that Darrin describes, you can check out this Landmark video featuring it here:

Thank you for taking time to participate in this Round Table poll! At this time, we're going to be locking this thread (for more info, see "Round Table: Forum Updates"). We look forward to chatting with you on the other open RT topics!

Thanks,
    Dexella
    • Up x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.