Fill tool problem, smoothing becomes removed

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by stealingfeathers, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Atmospherik Trailblazer

I'm not sure if any devs are aware of this but the problems people are discussing in this thread with the Add Tool and the Fill Tool are all due to the new contouring toggle (semicolon) added in the last (i think) update.

The main problem is that contouring is having an effect on other Tools like the Add Tool in the first place. Unless i misunderstood something it should only have an effect when using the Fill Tool with a shape.

The second problem is that contouring defaults to ON. And it resets itself back to ON every time you change tools.

So for anyone having issues with the Add Tool all you have to do is toggle contouring OFF by hitting the Semicolon ( ; ) before using the Add Tool every time you change tools. There's no icon in the bottom right for contouring when using the Add Tool but it can still be toggled on and off.

And to the OP and anyone else having problems with the Fill Tool it's the same thing. For the Fill Tool to work as intended you have to toggle contouring OFF first. With the Fill Tool there is actually an icon in the bottom right to show whether it's on or off at least.

I started a thread here last week when i first started noticing issues with the Add Tool. In addition to it no longer fully resetting voxels with contouring ON, it also creates interior distortions similar to the "grid bug".

TL;DR The new contouring feature on the Fill Tool is breaking other tools. :(
  2. Gromatici Founder

If they aren't aware, it isn't for lack of information being provided...

See here or here in addition to your own...

They'd pretty much have to force themselves to not be looking for signs from the community. Or have a much bigger ignore list than most.
  3. Shardiis Trailblazer

It may not be a case of ignoring...it may be that the problem is much more ingrained in the code and much more complex than we can see. They may not have the answers to the root cause of the issues, and even if they did, they may not yet have a plan/resources to fix it right now.

Whatever the case...communication would be much appreciated, just so we know that they hear and acknowledge that there is an issue and that they are working on it.
  4. stealingfeathers Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. When I first posted about this, I ran a number of tests and to the best of my recollection, I tried the semi-colon toggle with fill and it didn't make a difference. I'm happy to give it a try once more.
  5. Atmospherik Trailblazer

Wow i totally missed your post way back in August, i think i was on vacation that week. I can't believe the devs have left the tools in this broken state for this long.

It looks like i was wrong about toggling contouring to OFF completely fixing the Fill Tool. The tests in did were on a single voxel. And it does seem to work better/differently with contouring OFF.

But i just did a quick test in game using the Fill Tool to fill a cutout sphere shape with Glass and it didn't work the way it should. It works differently with contouring on or off, but either way it still deformed the smoothed interior shape.
  6. Gromatici Founder

I think, since it can 90% be worked around it falls into the "not a priority" category. I think the other option would be a rollback and I can understand why they don't want to get into that habit, even if they could.

See page 1 of this thread? (oh, hello, I see stealingfeathers had that covered... after the fact, doh) Something of the material it seems. It may be we'll just have to address that after the tools are working again in the first place. As it's hard to tell which bug is which right now, at least for me. Hopefully they aren't of the type that "you can have this fixed or that fixed, but not both".
  7. stealingfeathers Trailblazer

Yeah. I can't seem to get good results like "the old days." I ran more tests. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the fix makes it into the next patch. I'm just working on some other stuff that doesn't require complex designing.
    Helie likes this.