Fill tool problem, smoothing becomes removed

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by stealingfeathers, Sep 7, 2016.

1. stealingfeathers Trailblazer

Thank you Domino. :)
  2. Sizuma Trailblazer

That's the thing, I had some level of optimism when the game launched. I was excited about all the stuff we got for launch, but with each update it seems like one more thing gets broken. I don't even have the motivation to log in hardly at all these days.
    Zlyvr likes this.
  3. Zlyvr Trailblazer

This. I'm not voxelmanser and it was hard for me to make something nice. But with every patch it becomes harder and harder... I feel like devs doing everything possible to push me out of this game :(
  4. Sizuma Trailblazer

I don't feel like they are doing it purposely, it just seems like everytime they try to give us something more, it backfires horribly. I don't know if it's lack of skill (I doubt since they've given us what we have already, good and bad), the voxelfarm code itself, something else or even a combo of everything is the core problem. I know I come down on the devs pretty hard sometimes, but I honestly think they want the game to be as good as they promised. I'm pretty sure the devs that play, especially Domino, get just as frustrated as we do, maybe even more because they understand more about what's supposed to be happening.
    Zlyvr likes this.
  5. Zlyvr Trailblazer

I don't think Domino and AugurDev doing it purposely. I think that they doing everything they can to make this game better. Maybe there some other devs, who hate us and they wants shut down this project as soon as possible :(
  6. WhiskyJack Trailblazer

When I was I kid I had imaginary friends. Now that I'm older I have imaginary enemies.
  7. Sizuma Trailblazer

I doubt anyone on the team is working against us. I think it's the complexity of what they're trying to do, then again I could be completely wrong also.
  8. CoyoteDancer Trailblazer

Figuring out how to do the impossible in LM:
    [IMG]

Figuring out how to chat with the impossible in LM forums:

[IMG]

KCKB

Good thing I wasn't drinking my morning coffee - hate having to wipe down the screen after a good laugh. Owe you a whiskey, Jack.
  9. Shardiis Trailblazer

To the OP, have you tried using the FILL tool, as opposed to the ADD tool? The add tool will distort anything with a shape. The fill tool shouldn't, at least it didn't before the advent of the "smooth" fill tool. I will only use the fill tool (in original blocky mode) to add water to a pond space. This way I can fill & smooth as I go--a time consuming process but one that gives superior results.
    GoddessV likes this.
  10. Terrogaunt Developer

Hey guys, sorry for not chiming in on this sooner. We did an integration with some speculative code that we were hoping might make our smoothing vectors more accurate on tools like the line delete and mesh. Clearly, there's been some problems that came along with the ride. We're looking into it, so expect to see a fix coming in the patch later this month.
    stealingfeathers, Neria and GoddessV like this.
  11. Bugfinder Trailblazer

Thanks Mr. Did any of our posts showing voxel deformation and showing its there even if you cant see it, and how you can sort of fix them but only sort of even help? are we barking up the wrong try by working so hard to try and show things?
  12. Jinkys Trailblazer

To be clear here are the issues with the tools since the last update:

Add Tool: When using the add tool to overwrite existing voxels that are not clean prime voxels, it takes up to 8 clicks of the tool to overwrite other voxels.

Fill Tool: The fill tool is disturbing surrounding voxels such as the inside or outside of curves when placed.

Line Tool Delete: Instead of a clean cut, voxels on either side of the delete path are being transformed into the default prime voxel shape. The same can be said for using the line tool delete (or regular line tool for that matter) on microvoxels or megavoxels - instead of "pulling" or "pushing: the existing voxel shape without changing the thickness of the shape as the line tool did before this past update, the line tool now transforms any size voxel shape on the side of the voxel the line tool is being used into the default prime voxel shape.

Sphere Tool Delete: Same as the line tool delete - Instead of a clean cut, voxels on either side of the delete path are being transformed into the default prime voxel shape.

Thanks for looking into this.
    Terrogaunt likes this.
  13. Hopestealer Trailblazer

There you go. nice summary of several threads on these forums
    stealingfeathers likes this.
  14. stealingfeathers Trailblazer

Yes absolutely. Of course FILL is the first thing to try...as I have successfully done so many times in the past. This is apparently a new bug, which Domino had acknowledged in this thread.
  15. Andelos Eatherion Trailblazer

If something good were to come out of this, I would hope that, in the future, major errors like this could be rolled back until stable fixes were created. It's very undesirable to leave the live game in this state for weeks or longer. I know almost all the people on my friends list don't bother to log in because building is so frustrating right now. I made the effort to get my screenshots done but, other than that, the time I spend in game is not productive at all. Please allow for rollbacks in the future. I'm considering this a mandatory game break- hopefully a temporary one!
  16. Bugfinder Trailblazer

Or have a test server so we can all log in pull up our templates lay some stuff down try our stuff and give you the benefit of however many users as testers to go "you know this doesnt work any more" ...
    Gromatici likes this.
  17. CoyoteDancer Trailblazer

Just an FYI for you & the rest of the team ...

Something similar is going on with the Heal tool. It leaves "scars" - deformed geometry that outlines the shape of the selection volume where it intersects the terrain. If I select a straight-edged volume then heal I get straight lines of spikes & dips. If I use a spherical heal I end up with curved segments or even whole circles of spikes. Swiping the same area multiple times only spreads the deformation to the edges, does not correct it. Fast swipes sometimes leave more circles, slow swipes usually leave fewer. This happens not just at the edge of the selection where there is still painted terrain, but also where the selection cuts across the original terrain. Sometimes it even happens if i go to an undisturbed terrain and "heal" the naturally occurring terrain.

I am painting terrain textures onto terrain, so it's not a conflict between architectural and blending terrain behaviors. It happens in all the textures of terrain I've tested. Haven't tried every single texture but some each of stone, dirt, sand, grass, snow, ice. It happens when I use textures designed for the particular biome as well as those designed for use in others. It happens in Tundra, Ancient Forest, Tropical and Volcanic - haven't tested any Deciduous or Desert claims so far.

I do have screenshots, but the result of healing is so obvious and happens so consistently I'm not sure it's needed.
    Gromatici and krizet like this.
  18. Andelos Eatherion Trailblazer

The live game is the test server. /bonk! LOL

But joking aside, I can't seem to find a link to verify it, but I am almost certain the devs said in a video stream that they were putting a process in place to roll back changes if they caused major problems. Maybe someone else can clarify that or provide a link? This update would certainly qualify as far as major problems is concerned.
  19. stealingfeathers Trailblazer

Yeah, I've noticed these issues, too.
    Gromatici likes this.
  20. Gromatici Founder

Not much of a fan of rollbacks - but still nice in near fatal events.

Would much prefer, a mini server for player testing prior to rolling out(if there even could be such a thing). Active accounts could have 1 claim only, and use of account templates made in live (not vice versa, or maybe, but that would have to be thought about more thoroughly).

No matter how they desire to test in-house, and make excellent efforts I'm sure, they cannot in any timely fashion test new implementations as thoroughly or diversely as we can. This go-round we see the effect of not having this setup already in place more profoundly than any other update I can recall (wipes and such notwithstanding).
    Helie, Aldente and Shardiis like this.