[Zarrakon TLE PvP] Staggered Levelling Suggestion

Discussion in 'General Feedback' started by Milambers, Mar 24, 2023.

1. Milambers Active Member

Suggestion: Please consider a staggered levelling approach on the new TLE PvP server. A server-wide cap on the maximum level would be rapidly (weekly, or so) raised in fixed increments to provide an engaging experience. The server would still be flagged as KoS unlocked.

Reasoning: This concept would greatly enhance the attractiveness and enjoyment on the new server. I've discussed this topic with a wide range of players in several different forums, and I can honestly say this is the first time since Nagafen launch in 2006 where I see uniform agreement around an idea.

The PvP player base thoroughly enjoys the nostalgia of fighting against each other in lower tiered zones. With this approach, the player base is allowed a brief period of time to relive each tier. It's a simple idea that I and others believe would be incredibly popular.

This concept also addresses the potential risk of the server suffering from the fact that Varsoon TLE server will only have recently moved on from the Kingdom of Sky expansion when Zarrakon is launched. At present, players from Varsoon will may feel little desire to replay an expansion they've only just completed. By staggering the level unlocks, an exciting opportunity arises to experience different content, be it casually on an alt, or going more hardcore. By the time the level cap hits 70, more time will have passed between the last time players experienced Kingdom of Sky content.

Example Timeline:
    Week 1: Level 20 -> Week 2: Level 30 -> Week 3: Level 40 , Week 4-7: Level 50 , Week 8-9, Level 60 -> Week 10: Arrive at level 70.

The timeline must find the right balance between brevity and rushing, between pauses and stagnation. If simplicity is easier for the devs, a straightforward +10 level increment on a weekly basis would be considerably better than nothing.

Additional benefits: Allowing people to briefly 'max out' at a set tier will provide incentives to spend daybreak cash on mastering out spells and combat arts. During a typical launch with KoS enabled, there's a rush to 70 where most people attempt to level quickly and therefore the vast majority will not spend $ to max out their abilities instantly. With this approach, mastering out at each tier will become desirable. This will translate into greater revenue from the server.

Thank you for your attention.
  2. DENSER Well-Known Member

Huh you want to force them to work and press a button every week?!
    kidding. Here is one who knows how to talk to the devs, free advice, take advantage of it.
    Nice idea
    Siren likes this.
  3. Zishan Member

+1 have pvp quest linked with this too
  4. Taled Well-Known Member

I think you'd be better off suggesting a PvP version of the Kael Drakkel server where everyone is automatically leveled to the tier of the zone they enter.
    Teju, KaitlynnAM101, Siren and 3 others like this.
  5. Dude Well-Known Member

I really thought that's the way they would go. Putting everyone on a level playing field from the start seems like it would resolve most of the concerns people have about ganking.
    Teju, Siren, Raeven and 1 other person like this.
  6. Peak Nagafun

I like the idea, but we're a month out, so seems unlikely it'll happen.

Also, is that you Broccolisword? brb watching pvp vid again
  7. Raeven Well-Known Member

Since the Kael Drakkel server already exists, it seems like it would just be a matter of making another one and adding PvP to it. Interesting idea, seems like it would lengthen the interest in and life of the server.

Edit: It would also do away with usually being attacked by toons 5-6 levels higher than you, which is to say, eliminate higher level toons from preying on those several levels lower because they are easier kills.
  8. Occisor New Member

This sounds like a great idea.
    KaitlynnAM101 and Raeven like this.
  9. Bombs New Member

Great idea, I'd love to see the timescales between each tier increased to about a month + pvp gear for each of those tiers were we can work on obtaining also.
    KaitlynnAM101 likes this.
  10. Milambers Active Member

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. Would it be possible to know whether this is being considered or not? Many thanks.
    KaitlynnAM101 likes this.
  11. Chrexx Active Member

A staggered level increase is the best way to hold and maintain a decent population on Zarrakon.

As we all know, the population on PvP TLE servers are generally lower than on the PvE TLE servers. This move makes it so that the entire population of the server is farming the same tier zones each week. Both casual and hardcore players will enjoy this. Casual players have an entire week to reach the next level cap, and don't have to worry about being left behind. Hardcore players will spend their time maxing out their toons at each tier (doing HQs, farming materials for spells, farming zones for gear).

If you're worried about low-level itemization, don't. The way things are currently itemized at lower tier are just fine as is. It's not perfect, but it doesn't need to be. When we finally get to T5, the power boost will feel extremely rewarding.

If you're worried about what the level cap would mean for what content is available, don't. Just release the entire server as you would have normally released it, except with the level caps that you can increase each week. This way if people want to try to kill/farm upper tier content at a lower level, they can try. The hardcore players will have an endless amount of preparation for each tier, and it might actually make some of that content pretty difficult/rewarding.
  12. Chrexx Active Member

I honestly believe the only chance this server has at being a success is to implement the staggered level increases. Otherwise, you're just re-releasing Tarinax so soon after the server just closed, and a lot of people just did that content on Varsoon.

It's worth the time investment to figure out how to code it.
  13. Chrexx Active Member

Last thought - you can test out your "voting" feature you've been talking about for this idea. I'd be willing to bet most players would be down to delay the release if it meant implementing this idea.
  14. Kazooooooooooo Active Member

Less than a month away from another cash grab server and y'all are expecting dedicated dev time. I am baffled. It's a nice idea in theory, it doesn't make sense for them to waste time on staggered leveling though. Staggered leveling would decrease the $$ spent on spells due to less demand(you'll out level them in a week why swipe.) and doesn't deal with the issues involving content at cap which is where the game is played. Extending the leveling system only to hit cap and be forced to play what is a pretty barren end game in terms of content doesn't sound like a smart investment of resources. And you're going to play either way, right?

Keep in mind this game is entirely about progression. There's very little progression you can make through gear until cap. Most early game progression and feeling of success comes from leveling both combat and AA's. They basically did this for the first TLE servers. Cap was 50, most players rushed and there was a vote that failed several times to move the server onwards.

Asking the dev time spent on this server creating and adjusting leveling caps seems like a far cry from what they should actually be doing. Fix their broken game and they won't have to get cute with leveling systems in an attempt to keep their players. Put a quality product out and players will play. Look at Blizzard or any other number of companies that have successfully put out their own version of TLE's.

Eq2 players have been abused by the devs and their lack of communication for so long that you've come to accept all the crappy decisions they've made and attempt to justify the server by X concept or Y. Compromise like this(like we've done a million times before) and they're only going to continue to put out garbage with new little niche cash grabs that never contribute to the health or success of a server. Y'all are tryna fight the good fight but the focus is wrong imo.
    Frostfang likes this.
  15. Kazooooooooooo Active Member

Just cause I'm tilted and want to rant about this bad company. Think of how hard they've shafted all the other PvP servers. Every single one has either coincided with the release of new PvE server or the new xpac on PvE(that PvP has never reached.) On the first TLE we sat in Vanilla and DoF for six months EACH while unable to get any sort of reasonable balance patch. Spells were hitting for 1/8th of what they should have in PvP and scouts(specifically rangers ran rampant due to busted autos) No balance patch until a year later when KoS dropped and they completely gutted autos. On top of the straight disrespect to the actual game giving the players the ability to swipe for a spell rather than venture out into the world to acquire it(yanno make your server feel full and populated, extend the progression system.) Seasonals were killed by a XP bug but instead of rolling it back they patched it and absolutely massacred anyone who was still leveling(dw plat dupe rollback np on Tarinax cause it effects their bottom dollar.)

The most recent server was lined up with ANOTHER PvE xpac, a live update(could be wrong about this one) AND they had launched those loot crates until there was an absurd backlash. They don't care, they don't even bother to set up the server for success from the beginning. All in all, I wouldn't get your hopes up. I'm usually the first person on these forums and in discord begging for a server but I've been burned by this company one too many times. Not a single thing they've done over the last 5 years should display to anyone that they care about the longevity or success of a pvp server. I finally learned my lesson, hope y'all see the light too
  16. Milambers Active Member

I do entirely see where you're coming from. The time invested in PvP servers vs the profit they make is obscene. They're small, sure, but a small cash cow because dev time invested into them is as close to zero as humanly possible, other than actually launching the server.

That said, that won't change if the community remains silent on the forums. It still almost certainly won't change, but it's worth the 5 minutes to make the post imo. To address the other part of your reply, I disagree about less $$ generated. Rushing to 70 on launch will mean absolutely no one spending cash to upgrade spells they'll only be using for a few hours, apart from possibly a handful of essential ones. Maxxing out at a level for a week will mean most of the competitive players happy to spend $ will do so, each tier.

I also agree that we've become so used to very limited developer time that we're happy to get scraps. But I'm not really sure what to do about that either.
  17. Kazooooooooooo Active Member

I've been vocal on the forums including several writeups leading to the launch of both DT and Tarinax. I still have the google docs. There aren't enough players to drive to the forums for any sort of meaningful changes.

Why will players swipe for spells that will be upgraded in less than a week when it takes almost no time at all to craft/farm them. What else do you think players will be doing for the full week after they've gained ten levels. It's the only thing that there will be to do lol. The demand of people paying for spells comes from end game. There is zero reason to swipe for spells aside from stupidity. Leaving players with no other options doesn't mean they're going to swipe. They swipe because they can use those spells for months on end at cap. It just doesn't make sense, nor do I believe the math would add up. Not to mention how quickly you can research spells at those levels.

As for limited dev time, just quit. Stop supporting a company that doesn't care about you. It sucks but the only way to get them to care about making a quality product is to veto it with your wallet.
  18. Xiao Member

bump for a lot of good feedback that was well received a few weeks ago
  19. Zenji Well-Known Member

More reason to launch at EoF. Loads of additional quality content for all the leveling tiers that normally gets passed by when EoF is released and the majority of players are 70.
    Xiao likes this.
  20. Vahln New Member

Really really great idea!!

This would also make things WAY more appealing for more casual players who might be too scared of falling behind to give it a shot. Please do it.