ZAM Interviews Dave Georgeson

Discussion in 'Community News' started by ARCHIVED-Calthine, Apr 20, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Janathia Guest

foozlesprite wrote:
    As someone who has played EQ2 off and on since launch (and have yet to get a character to max level), I can't emphasize the above quote enough. EQ2 is a massive game with, seemingly, a lot of stuff to understand, process, and learn. Yes, there are third party websites that do help (Wiki, eqtraders, ZAM, etc), but it can be hard to track down *current* info/guides, and I stress current very strongly. There is a ton of info out there, but a lot of it is outdated.
    Because of this, in my opinion and first hand experience, it seems hard to keep that new player. I've tried to get several friends to switch to EQ2, and whereas they think the game is great and fun, they always drift away without getting very high level. I can't help but think it's because there seems to be such a high learning curve to the game. Now before folks jump on me about that, I don't think it should be "dumbed down", but I would hope for some clear, concise info about the mechanics of the game and how things relate. Heroic opps for example. To this day, I've yet to get a very clear understanding of how they work in groups. Solo, I understand them just fine. Perhaps that onus should be on my shoulders to suss out and understand (by going to these third party websites), but how many others are willing to do that? Maybe there is a very clear explanation of Heroic Opps in the game and I just haven't come across it? Heroic opps are just one example. The quote above covers another.
    So once you consider all of the things a new player needs to learn is it no wonder they give up? Especially when they're looking at a playerbase that is matured to the point they (the playerbase) already know the ins and outs of the game. It's a little intimidating.
    I'm not sure what a solution to keeping that new player is. To some extent, understanding the game should fall on the player's shoulders, afterall EQ2 is a very social game, but should we make them dig deep for that information? Perhaps easy to understand guides on the EQ2 site (ie, not the forums)? Even looking at the links posted under the Community tab at EQ2Players, some of those are outdated/no longer exist. And if you'd rather rely on getting info out there via the forums, then go through the forums and clean up all the outdated info in the stickied posts. ;)
    Basically, in conclusion, getting reliable and current info about the game and mechanics of the game has been the biggest stumbling block, in my opinion.
  2. ARCHIVED-Andok Guest

Well, count me as very optimistic about the future direction of EQ2 under Smokejumper’s lead
  3. ARCHIVED-BlueX Guest

SmokeJumper, I'm optimistic about the impact you will have on the game.
    However, I don't care for micro-transactions. I can live with fluff / appearance items on Station Cash, but that's the extent.
    Even then if feels like it's a part of the game that I'm cut out of because I have no in-game way to earn it, and that's the only road to get in-game stuff that seems worthwhile to me. For example, the Cloak of Flames or Hero of Maj'Dul title. You better believe it meant something to me to wear those after all that work. When I see someone with those things, I also respect their work.
    The first time I saw a Legend of Norrath title, I thought it was cool until I asked how they got it. Then the title meant less than nothing to me, neither to have nor to observe. That's not to say that I view all items from SC / LoN as useless or undesirable... some of them are funny or go particularly well with some outfits (some of the LoN ones are unfortunately functionally useful too)... but they certainly don't carry the same gravity as in-game obtainable items. They are just trifles because of how you must get them (opening your RL wallet) when they could be so much more.
    My view, anyway.
  4. ARCHIVED-SmokeJumper Guest

Responding about my PvP experience:
    • I was working at Activision when we did MechNet (one of the very first PvP computer experiences) and worked on the Mech II series, as well as Heavy Gear 2.
    • I Produced/Directed "Tribes 2"
    • I Produced/Directed "PlanetSide"
    • I was an avid player of RvR in DAoC
    • I've played countless years of tabletop minature strategy games (and even ran a company that did that for a living).
    In essence, I'm a fan. But that doesn't mean that EQ2 is suddenly going to wallow in the stuff.
    But you can be assured that I understand it, I like it, and if it's appropriate to this game, there will be more of it. But that's an "if" right now until I get to do a lot more digging.
  5. ARCHIVED-EQPrime Guest

More zoning fixes, less pvp nonsense tbh.
  6. ARCHIVED-SmokeJumper Guest

Uguv...do you get the feeling that I'm a programmer? That my responses here are taking time away from fixing those performance issues?
    That's not the case. The programming team is working on those issues right now. My job consisted of helping them to focus on the necessary tasks and breaking down the issue for the rest of the company to understand and support those efforts. I do lots and lots of things for the project, but code is not one of them.
    However, the fixes are in process now and we'll get them done as soon as possible. I do want you to know that they're not simple issues and it might be a few days. But, we *are* working on them. Really.
  7. ARCHIVED-akaglty Guest

If you could read some of the problems in ranger forums and give a nudge to devs to work on it so we can raid again you will be worshiped!
  8. ARCHIVED-EQPrime Guest

Exactly, I'm just hoping they're focusing on fixing the perfomance issues ahead of other stuff. I believe your staff is working on them; I just wanted to make sure they're high up on the priority list.
    Thanks for the reply and I hope you have a smooth transition to the team. It's nice to see that you've been playing the game a bit. Your interacting here on the forums is certainly a positive.

Edit: I just wanted to note that I actually enjoy battlegrounds, but not if they're impacting normal gameplay. Though I have to admit that they're down right now and we're still having zoning issues.
  9. ARCHIVED-Oakum Guest

Welcome to EQ2. The first computer game I played was the gold box SSI D&D games in 88 and that hooked my on computer gaming and even fantasy novels (Forgotten Realms books) and that expanded from there. Prior to that I was more into SCI FI.
    I am glad you did not mean it about the raids. They, just liking grouping and soloing are part of the overall fun of the game. If you are bored with one facet of the game, you can go to another for a while.
    I am glad about the raid zones too. The one thing I wish had put in though was a WoE style X2 that was as stepping stone into x4 raiding instead of a KT x2 with the second mob being a show stopper unless you have people arleady geared up by x4 raids.
    WoE style X2's help people appreciate raids as well as get them ready for more intense X$ ones therefore making people more likely to do them, even as a pickup. The more people you get playing all facets of the game, the longer they will pay their subscriptions.
    Oh, yeah, cant wait for more healer weapons and really hope that we get some druid swords one and two handed even thoiugh druids, unlike shaman, were not generaly allowed to use two handed flavor weapons and were stuck sharing the generic priest hammer (which I think should be for clerics only) and staffs that all priest can use. .
  10. ARCHIVED-SmokeJumper Guest

My first design job was as part of the original "Pools of Darkness" team, Oakum. :)
  11. ARCHIVED-Hellswrath Guest

Welcome to EQ2, Smokejumper.
    I'll admit that this interview caused myself and several others a bit of concern over the microtransactions bit. However, as long as the station store/LoN are not the only way to get good looking gear/house items and offer no gear with actual useful stats, I think we will survive. Just look at the thread on the infamous LoN loot zone if you want a sampling of player base feedback on selling gear with stats, though.
    As for the rest, I applaud your intention to not try to steer the ship too heavily until you learn the game. This is a huge game with many facets and a great deal of complexity. I wish you the best of luck in this, and maybe your fresh view on how new players see the game will give incentive to make certain aspects more clear, such as combat mechanics (which Timetraveling is doing a wonderful job of compiling mechanics details that have been less than clear for a long time in his general gameplay thread).
    I'm looking forward to seeing what influence you have on this game.
    Oh, and big cheer on the level of communication so far. I speak for several of my guildies when I say that we love seeing communication about what's going on and not being left in the dark unnecessarily.
  12. ARCHIVED-Araxes Guest

13. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

SmokeJumper wrote:
    So would you say your duties would best be discribed as Cathurder/interperator then? ;)
  14. ARCHIVED-brammator Guest

SmokeJumper wrote:
    Please describe it! From wiki, your part is titled as "encounter author". What's this?
  15. ARCHIVED-Leko Guest

SmokeJumper wrote:
    Thanks for the update on your PvP experience.
  16. ARCHIVED-Jhanos Guest

Heavy Gear was a series i felt Activision dropped the ball in not pursuing further, was a lot of fun (You learned very quickly not to use your rocket assistance and rollerskates at the same time while jumping over hills though. Sure you might get a beautiful shot from above, but then your legs fall off on landing).
    As far as Pools of Darkness goes, if I find you are responsible for the heavy Drow combined use or hold and blade barrier, we will have words sir. :)
  17. ARCHIVED-Captain Apple Darkberry Guest

Greetings and welcome...I hope that you come to enjoy your experience with EQ2.
    There seems to be much weighing of your past experiences and how they mesh in theory with EQ2. I for one think that what happens, is what happens. I look forward to seeing if possibly you become the first SP to have a true interest in this game since Scott Hartman left. Maybe by some odd chance you will bring the game back to the enjoyablity that it was at that time and hasn't been since. Good luck...
    ...and I hate to even bring such up in a "Welcome!!!!!" thread, but...
    Maybe you could consider looking at such long standing graphical bugs that have been ignored since launch such as hats stealing hair from nearly any race that wears them, and the most horrific graphical bug of all...
    [IMG]
    3 of the races, Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes, are ridiculed openly any time that they put on a formal dress and step outside. Ghastly panty lines mar what would (and is on all of the other races) a wonderful bit of developer craftsmanship. It may seem trivial, but you will soon find as you become familiar with the game that there are only 2, as in two, graphic bases for dresses; this one and the non-formal one. Those three races are pretty much excluded from wearing one of those basic types. Leaving them one choice.
    There are many other things like this. things that have been ignored since the launch of the game. It would go a long way towards making a statement to the community of EQ2 if you looked for and fixed such long standing bugs.
    /salute
    /welcome
  18. ARCHIVED-Paddyo Guest

You call it a graphics bug...I call it HAWT!
    Thanks for the pic!
    **runs off to find his jumjum rejuvenating lotion and a moist towelette**
  19. ARCHIVED-BleemTeam Guest

Paddyo wrote:
    I just threw up a little in my mouth...
  20. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Cricket@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    While the dress thing you talked about is knowen and recognized by the devs as a bug. The disapearing hair thing is not. It is a short-cut used to make building hats much quicker. Without having to worry about tucking hair into the hat they can just make any type of hat they wish. That is why the "Brigand" Zorro/Hamburaler hat has a "bandana" under it, and why most hats are so big they cover most of the head.
    Also don't start with the Druid Hats, and other circlets as those are not Hat Models but parical effects wich are completly differant then a graphical model, and that is why you can keep your hair while wearing them(though if you notice your hair clips though them as well, it is just not as big a deal).