ZAM Interviews Dave Georgeson

Discussion in 'Community News' started by ARCHIVED-Calthine, Apr 20, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Morghus Guest

Server issues, dealing with zoning, and performance based lag while raiding need to be looked at. Client performance improvement must also be a priority.
  2. ARCHIVED-Jhanos Guest

SmokeJumper wrote:
    I remember you from the Planetside days, even think I killed you in beta (with a little help from my handy TR rifle), welcome to the show.

Now you have your first fun one to deal with, determine why we can't login to the game and enjoy that fine BB scenery with you. The post SF lag and funkiness needs to go go go.
  3. ARCHIVED-SmokeJumper Guest

We're currently working on the performance issues. We'll kill 'em.
  4. ARCHIVED-Corydonn Guest

SmokeJumper wrote:
    I think I love you.
  5. ARCHIVED-Cyliena Guest

Corydonn wrote:
    Hey now, don't scare him away! ;)
  6. ARCHIVED-Azzad Guest

Here is my problem with RMT:
    I always get the impression that this is how a meeting will go:
    1) artist creates 20 new armor sets for the expansion.
    2) "Guy in Charge" says "these 5 are the best so they go on Station Marketplace and these other 15 can go out for free"
    Can you tell me that doesn't happen?
  7. ARCHIVED-shaunfletcher Guest

"EQ2 is high fantasy and that zaniness is not as appropriate (except in rare doses)"
    If you really do mean that then you will have a couple of major fans in New Zealand.
  8. ARCHIVED-Quicksilver74 Guest

SmokeJumper wrote:
    Awesome.

Oh, and when I read your title, it says Senior Staff. Am I the only one who is reminded of the old Nickelodeon show, HEY DUDE!" when reading that?
  9. ARCHIVED-iceriven2 Guest

Besides what most ppl stated alrdy, performance issues and continued class balance tweaks, I would like to see more focus, especially for the xpac team to design something new. SF was a gorgious xpac, with some cool fights but it brought more of the same. Lvls, AA's and imrpoved items.

Not much of an idea bin, but maybe more focus on dieties, like actual use of there temples or diety AA's. Maybe more accessable herioc like sig quests. take fun spells, was a nice touch at launch, why not more enviromentally interactive fun spells that create a more lively experiance for a player and there grp. Even recent released animations for races dancing a different way, even though they were tests, it brought a lot of interest.

Welcome onboard and good luck... cuase you will need it!!!

PS. I so cant wait for spell effects revamp !!
  10. ARCHIVED-Fatuus Guest

SmokeJumper wrote:
    I am so glad that we have several people locked from the game and unable to even log on because you have fixed the performance issues. This is ridiculous. Its taking insane amounts of time to zone, buy stuff, or even attack stuff anymore.
    Frankly the issues that you are fixing sir have only broken the game more.
  11. ARCHIVED-maddawg138 Guest

Fatuus wrote:
    yah cause he has a hand in everything as of this point.....the issues have been ongoing BEFORE his arrival and it doesnt happen magically cause someone NEW shows up. At least he posted and said they are working on it. And from Rothgar's posts it does seem they are working on it, its not as easy to just fix a database issue etc as it may seem.
  12. ARCHIVED-Tehom Guest

He seems like a nice guy who's pretty sharp. I hope he can understand that many people are nervous about identifying areas where they may be devoting too much effort on niche features and shifting them; EQ2 is a game of players that fall into a huge variety of different niches, and suddenly deciding that any of us don't deserve development time could basically mean we don't have a game anymore. It's his call to make, and I imagine he more meant 'less' rather than 'zero' time on anything that targets a specific subset group of players ("How many people really enjoy crafting? Not enough, no more crafting! Raids? That's a tiny portion of players, no more raids!"), but still, players who spend almost their entire playtime on a single aspect of the game might feel a little trepidation.
  13. ARCHIVED-CorpseGoddess Guest

Fatuus wrote:
    ...aaaaaaand welcome to the forums!
    Seriously, give the gentleman some time. He just got here. And he's not "fixing" issues himself---I doubt they handed him a wrench and had him get under the game and start tinkering around. Show a little patience and restraint; I know you're frustrated, but immediately taking this out on the new Head of State isn't the most productive route.
    Thanks for posting, SmokeJumper, and it's great to see you here. I also came to the game from EQ1 and exactly experienced what you are right now---the "Oh! Oh! It's that!" moments are wonderful when you find them.
    Please stick your toe in here as often as you are able---I know that it goes a long way towards easing the community's concerns when the mucketymucks are about and vocal.
  14. ARCHIVED-Runelaron Guest

SmokeJumper wrote:
    Well your attitude about the game seems positive, and I like that you update what your doing and not just what plans are happening.
    I could imagine if you keep up good composure on the forums the community will like that. I also noticed your the first Director to actually have a Persona and not just your Name and Director as your title.
    My only general concern and I think it go's long standing with this community is,
    I would not like to see plans that simplify the game just to draw a wider audience that really doesn't grasp the complexity it.
    IE. Making the starting area more simplified without gradually expanding on the specificts of game play effects.
    causing a level 80+ character to not understand what Potency does.

Oh yeah, Welcome. and Nice to meet you.
  15. ARCHIVED-BleemTeam Guest

Crabbok, you mean Ted McGriff ? That guy who played him was on Blosson and Sabrina too...
  16. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

SmokeJumper wrote:
    There is a reason in most polls EoF ranks very high when talking about favorate expainsions. ;) Though Kunark also rates very high.
    Wellcome to EQ2, as for your questioning of everything befor moving forward, that may have been something that was lacking in this game, atleast IMO, as alot of things seemed to be added without thought of secondary effects, until us players pointed it out.
    Lastly, you should ask Kiara how to change your forum title to something more fitting. ;)
  17. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Sangfugol@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Well consitering it would take about 5 years for the Artists to create that many new armorsets I can more or less guarantee that doesn't happen in this game. ;)

Seriously though if you accually look at the stuff on SC, really you can't say the "best stuff" is placed in SC, there is some nice stuff sure, but there is just as many nice an cool looking items in game.
  18. ARCHIVED-foozlesprite Guest

I can't count how many times I see people ask in channels 'what's ability mod? does 10 ability mod mean all my abilities are 10% stronger?' or 'what's potency?' If you're going to focus on bringing new players you need to take the existing content we have, and create a better tutorial system to teach them to deal with it. Microtransactions make me nervous, especially when recovering from a recession, but as long as it's fluff stuff I'll just ignore it instead of speaking out.
    That being said I've been through most playstyles myself, from crafter (woot Domino!) and casual player to grouper, to raider. I hope none of them get shafted here, as all were very enjoyable. I also hope you don't take on too much for the next expansion, we prefer polished content! Oh, and fix class balance please. Good luck making such a varied player base happy, lol.
  19. ARCHIVED-Leko Guest

During the interview Dave does not mention PvP at all.
    Dave,
    How do you feel about PvP and what PvP games have you played in the past? Will you roll a toon on the PvP server so you can experience EQ2 PvP?
  20. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Leko@Nagafen wrote:
    Consitering it is an intro interview, and the interviewer didn't bring up PvP, I can understand why he didn't say anything about it. That said personally I would like to know is position on all the major game componants once he has had a chance to review them all and form an opinon on them.
    The major componants I am talking about(though possably not all inclusive):
    • Crafting - overall vision and how it balances against Looted content, and how to make it relevent without being OP.
    • PvP - Both Open World and BGs, overall vision for where to head in both types of PvP
    • Raiding - Number of Zones per expainsion, difficulty, progression, etc.
    • Grouping - should people have greater encoragement to group, ways to do it without forced grouping at lower levels.
    • Soloing - vision of where this fits in overall, more solo-quest leveling, over all feelings in reguards to soloing.
    • Misc - Things like expainding world events, overall direction of the game, specifics of his view of RMT in EQ2, Housing, charactor slots, etc.
    Again not all inclusive but I think major points of the "front of the house" stuff, obviously there is alot of "Back of the House" issues we all care about too, The bigest being lag/load times, both client side and server side.