You're missing out on a grand opportunity for tradeskillers here.

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Cusashorn, Jul 31, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Allyra Guest

I've always loved the Live Events where you actually get to feel like you're building part of the game. I'm really looking forward to seeing what this one is! I missed out on the griffon tower construction, but several of my characters got the miniature spires replica and the titles for the spires event. The dragon-ganking parts were a bit annoying, but the event itself was great fun!
  2. ARCHIVED-Thicket Tundrabog Guest

Carpenters could only contribute slightly to building guild halls. What we need is a new tradeskill class... STONEMASONS... woot.
    Let's see now. As well as building guild halls, stonemasons could make stuff.
    * fireplaces
    * slingshot ammunition for trolls and ogres.
    * one third of the components needed for a game of rock, paper, scissors.
    * stone-tipped arrows, axes etc.
    Ummmmm... need some more ideas.
    * stone coffins, altars.
    * repair stonehenges (druid rings).
    Really stretching here. *sigh*. It would be so nice to have a new tradeskill class, and basketweaving just doesn't cut it.
  3. ARCHIVED-Todra_B Guest

Guild Hall writs would be something all the TS'ers could sink their teeth into. Just think of the number of light sources (sconces, chandeliers, glowing magic lights) needed for a structure that size. Food for the workers, or food stores in case of siege. Tapestries, bookcases etc, ad nauseum.
    This may put smaller guilds at a disadvantage but what about certain writs that would need to be completed by guild crafters to complete an expansion as more options/ rooms become available?
    Master level crafters needed to make the lvl 80 final expansion? (or whatever is added in future expansions).
    The possibilities are huge for the crafting community. Sadly I only have a 35 sage.
  4. ARCHIVED-Drash Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    I don't think Sages are left out.
    Such an undertaking surely has need of talented scribes to commit the historical specifics to record - and also to assist architects and engineers with the drafting (and copying) of complex equations, formulae, and plans for the foremen to have their workers follow. (Not to mention the many dispatches that have to be penned for couriers to deliver back and forth between those on site and remotely located officials and scholarly types.)
    There can't be much of a job without the necessary paperwork, after all.
  5. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

VolgaDark wrote:
    Wich server was that? I am in California and I helped build like 2 if not 3 spires, and almost fought one of the Dragons, at about 1am, we would have been able to too, if it was not for one member of the PuR(PuG for raid) would have just mentored, as it was we almost beat the Raid guild that was thier waiting.

That said, please make it one that lasts the whole LU cycle like the Void Storms and such.
  6. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Drash wrote:
    Thats what I thought at first: have the sages build blueprints... but then I realized that the people who are heading the project are under direct orders by the Royal Antonican Guard not to make any more changes or adjustments to the plans and blueprints (You can hear the conversation yourself in the lighthouse whenever he walks up to it.)
    Providing blueprints and calculations would be pointless.
  7. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    You have never been on a construction project have you Cusa. What is built is NEVER what the plans say. It maybe very close, but there is differances, as such you will always need "As Builts" wich are the final plans that accually show the building as it was built. ;)
  8. ARCHIVED-Drash Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    This is laughable, imo.
    Unforeseen changes and adjustments are almost always made on virtually all construction projects (as ke'la has pointed out), but this is a minor matter compared to the overall need for accurate and realiable documentation of this project's plans, its execution, the expendantures required, as well as its official historical record (to point out a few possibilities).
    - Who does the Royal Antonican Guard rely upon to document these plans (that must not be adjusted or changed) in the first place?
    - What happens if a set of plans or documents is ruined (in a flooded sub-basement, lets say) or is accidentally lost or misplaced?
    - What happens when two work details with only a single set of plans to go by have to do their jobs, simultaneously, thousands of meters apart?
    - How are the communication needs of the many involved participants handled?
    - What about documenting the project's costs, its day to day progression, its very dimensions?

It's easy enough to pooh-pooh someone else's idea(s), but there are too many ways in which Sages can contribute as scribes - if one is only willing to use one's imagination.
  9. ARCHIVED-erinn Guest

Not to mention, this IS a magical world; I'd expect that significant amounts of magic are used in construction projects (heck, even the tailoring looms use magic!).

Perhaps Sages would be needed to make many scrolls used in construction. Perhaps such scrolls have a one-time use. For example, "Scroll of Stone Lightening", which makes one huge block of stone something that just a few construction workers can lift and move into place.
  10. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

I can see it now.

*Sage turns in Blueprints*

Director Jazzmin: "Thank you for your contributions. We're under orders by the Queen herself not to use these submissions, but hey, it's the thought that counts, right?"

Anyways, I'm a machinist in real life. I've never been on a construction job before, but I know what it means to use blueprints and plans. We rarely ever make changes to the prints themselves. If I'm making auto parts for a certain type of car's engine, and the car itself is changed to a different physical model the next year (such as my 97 Eclipse Mark 2 being changed into the Mark 3 in 2000)... then yes, the parts would be changed accordingly, provided that my company would still be entasked with making the parts afterwards.
  11. ARCHIVED-valkry Guest

There is a slight difference in the two examples though, Cusa. The parts you are machining are designed to be interchangable with every other part of that type (for that car, engine, model year, etc). The design process has been through the mock-ups and prototypes well before your company is involved. Buildings might get a mock-up, but most do not have prototypes built before they are built.
    However, because (most) buildings are not built from pre-made components, the variables that were discovered and minimized during the car prototyping, are more significant and more likely to result in 'as-builts.' Buildings are usually made with construction materials that are not engineered as finely as auto parts. Boards warp, stone is 'roughed in,' dry-wall can have crunched corners... in short, not perfect parts. Auto parts are pretty tightly controlled. I do the QA testing on CMMs (machines often used by auto-makers and other industires to ensure the correct size of 3-D parts). When my machines are verifying car parts are with-in microns (yep 1/1000th of a milimeter or 0.00004 inch, if you aren't metric) I would bet my kids lives, that building materials are held to that standard. That 'slop' in the building materials will add (or subtract) up. Through in the fact that the surface they are built on is not smooth by the standards you or I use at work, and there will be many more adjustments.
    There is also the effect of scale. A slight offset on an angle might result in a quarter panel of a car being a 'smidge off', but that same offset on a larger construct is much more significant. After a run along the side of a ship or a building, that slight angle off now means that that a connection point (like a corner of the building) might be up to inches out of place from where it should be. Due to the comparatively short lenght of the car, that same angle would result in milimeters of displacement, not inches. I use the example of a ship because I saw ships constructed in a shipyard during my navy years. Even into a more 'automated' production run then you would see on a construction site (they were building the 10th -18th ships of that class of ship while I was there). It was a significant event when the subsections of the ship were assembled, just to ensure that the two parts really did match up close enough to be attached. They did have to stop and reposition the edges of the metal prior to welding the parts together, but it is a bit easier to slightly bend a metal hull, then it is to try to bend a stone wall.
    Finally on the topic of sages.... Logistics people. Even if the sages aren't dealing with blue-prints, or as-builts, there are thousands of people working on these projects (not all of whom are volunteers), thousands and thousands of plat worth of materials involved and EVERYTHING has to be documented and accounted for.
    I would LOVE to see the bard quests from EQ1 brought back. I usually had at least 2-5 bard letters in my pack for delivery to the next city I would visit (or the city after that). The bard quest could deliver requests to the cities and around Norrath for certain building materials.
  12. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Oooh that would be fun. Bring back the Bard Mail delivery quest from EQlive and transport letters between the cities for gold.
  13. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

valkry wrote:
    Well consitering in construction the PLANS thems selfs round to the nearest 1/4 inch. There is a huge differance in tolerancing, between Mechine Parts work and construction.

The biggest differance is that in Mechine work the people who is ultimatly responcable to make shure the part work as intended is the guy/girl making the plans. It's the person who makes the part's responcablity to make shure the part matchs the plans.

In the construction world it is the guy making the bulding, that makes sure that everything "works". The plan maker just gives a ruff idea of how it lays out.

One last thing as far as veriation in materials goes. If you order for a machine part a piece of 2x4 stock, that piece will be 2 inchs by 4 inchs(give or take a very small veriance). In construction if you order a 2x4 piece of lumber, that 2x4 will measure 1.5in x 3.5in. Also if somone was every able to make a building perfect according to the plans, that building would look "off" because strait walls give the illusion of not being strait, especally vertical lines.
  14. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

For the record, machinists have to work a part down to a detail of within 1/1000th of an inch.

(BTW, Ke'la, there is no h in Sure) :p
  15. ARCHIVED-Vain Guest

As an armourer, I would like to be in charge of whistling at the women as they walk by. I might even let my pants hang a little low in the back for added "construction worker" effect.
  16. ARCHIVED-Qandor Guest

Vanguard probably did it the best with guilds actually building their own guild hall using their own crafters to actually construct parts out of harvested materials. Since this is one guild hall for everyone, invariably it will be something like building the griffon towers. That was cute for a one time event but using the same methodology again would be a case of been there, done that.
  17. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Are you Shure

And yes I know I am currently learning how to draw parts that Machinists can accually build, while at the same time learning that a rough sketch is all a builder really needs, cause that don't really look at the dementions anyway. I know I never do when doing new construction work. ;) "about here" and "Good Enough" are phrases you here alot on construction sites. ;)
  18. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Vain wrote:
    Sorry but the Carpenter's Guild has the exclusive rights to those jobs, if anyone not a member of the Carpenter's Guild atemps them they get taken on a "Tour" of verious hole dug in to The Desert of Ro. ;)
  19. ARCHIVED-Qandor Guest

kela wrote:
    Having worked in the constuction industry for 37 years I hate to inform you that "about here" and "good enough" are not phrases you will ever hear. Have no clue where you are getting that info from. We do not work to the tolerance that a machinist would but then again we are working on a far larger scale. I would hate to walk into a building or drive over a bridge where "good enough" was the marching order of the day. Perhaps "good enough" and "about here" might suffice for building a shed in your backyard. That is about as far as that goes.