Your Poisons and You: An Open question to the community

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-BlackAdderDrop, Oct 18, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-BlackAdderDrop Guest

I was comparing poisons with my other guild Rangers(same lvl) and we had noted some discrepancies in what we saw for dmg on the poisons. Was hoping to sort this and glowingly tell you how to maximize your poison dmg but instead I am asking for your help in solving this mystery. Additionally when I was grouped and had some int/wis buffs on me I swear my poison dmg on inspecting a vial had jumped a few percent 436 to 481 or so.

Let me start by posting Stats, skill lvl and poison dmg. If others could post the same we may be able to discern what is influencing it if anything. Have not had time to drag wizards and healers aside to check this out.

Str 202
    Agi 247
    Sta 127
    Int 45
    Wis 41

Poison Skill 270
    lvl 54.3

Poisons:

Translucent Festering composite 276 DD/ 78 DOT
    Trans. Torrent of Ages 348 DD / 57 DOT
    Trans. Adestes Disruption 436 DD / 71 DOT
    Trans Kyris Hateborn Toxin 374 DD / 110 DOT

Thanks and happy Rangering :)

-Alaulai Evensong
    54 Ranger of Nektulos

Message Edited by BlackAdderDrop on 10-18-2005 05:28 AM
  2. ARCHIVED-Vimy Guest

Well, I think that poisons are being treated like a spell, so increasing int would up it's damage if that's true.

I have an Illusionist alt, so came across this thread. Dynamism is only supposed to proc off of a spell hit, but seems our poisons work too. So more evidence that poison is a "spell".

It would be interesting to test this, but I"m not sure how. Maybe duel an illusionist, have them stiffle you, and see if you can proc your poison using ranged autoattack. Would be hard to do without killing your testing partner though. Might have to use tin arrows. :smileywink:
  3. ARCHIVED-Delgaddo Guest

Yes a higher INT will increase your poison damage. To verify simply open the description of your poison, equip an INT item or get an INT buff and then recheck your poison description - the damage listed (inital and DoT portion) will go up.
  4. ARCHIVED-xandez Guest

Yep, higher INT will increase teh poison AND proc dmg:S

So... time to change your STR gear to INT gear? I think we do the major part of our dmg through PROC:s anyway... hmm tempting, should really test this sometime...

++Xan

Message Edited by xandez on 11-07-2005 10:19 AM
  5. ARCHIVED-jarlaxle888 Guest

well, this is very interesting. that would be nice, because we can get some advantage out of every stat now. no more 'bleh, a load of int on this piece which i don't need'... :smileyvery-happy:
    --------------------------
    Ryilan Nightbreeze
  6. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

So now we should be really smart in addition to being dextrous, brawny, enlightened, and sturdy? /sigh :(
  7. ARCHIVED-jarlaxle888 Guest

lol. look at it positive. now you can be whatever you like. probably still best to opt for agi and second for str. but at least now you don't feel like the extra int on those leggings is wasted. smart use of poison :smileyvery-happy:
    Ryilan Nightbreeze
  8. ARCHIVED-Star Guest

This also might be unintended. Only time will tell, but when they were made the poisons may have been made as spells because that was an easy way to do them without a sperate posion/potion type of buff. When they added the int bonus it was applied to them by default and no one has noticed till now (or said anything about it). Dunno.
  9. ARCHIVED-King Leoric Guest

I think most people are going for more STR now anyways as opposed to AGI. For me anyways as someone who raids nightly I prefer STR due to the increased dmg I get to all my CA"s from upping my STR. And thats the only thing im at the raid for is my dmg and perhaps laying a trap here and there to hold a boss and kill of adds etc. simply cuz we dont have as many problems with power any more ever since stream of arrows was invented. And of course people will argue that AGI will make me get hit less but if im raiding and happen to pull aggro the boss dude is going to hit me regardless. But both STR and AGI end up over 400 anyways eitherway come raid time as both are above 300 when self buffed. So ya a good idea would be to use an INT potion to up your int 47 giving you more poison dmg instead of using bite of the shissar or something and that way you can use a poison of glox or djinn to up your pierce or slash dmg by debuffing the mob with it. that way you have all aspects of your attacks doing more dmg. Just my point of view though :eek:)
    Leoric
    Level 60 ranger
  10. ARCHIVED-Sollum Guest

So INT increases Poison damage? Great. :smileysad: I'd wish I'd known that earlier and that SOE lay these facts down instead of having to figure it all out for ourselves all the time! I've gone mostly for STR with AGI second place. I'd better start working hard on my INT then as my ranger is thick as sh*t, and according to my parser, poison is one of my highest DPS skills.
  11. ARCHIVED-Cronon Guest

I personally like when they don't tell us everything. Figuring this stuff out with the community can actually be fun... and builds more community than forced grouping ever could.
  12. ARCHIVED-Sollum Guest

Yes, I agree to a certain extent on some things, but not this kind of stuff that affects our ability to survive in the world! I've now spent almost a year on my Ranger and now at level 51 (No I'm not a hard core, must level to 60 in a day at all costs, power leveler!) have been fighting all this time at a reduced ability! That's what so frustrating.
  13. ARCHIVED-Cronon Guest

From reading your last, I think you might have some confusion. The Int affecting spell damage and possibly poison damage only happened as of LU 13 from September.

For the record, I'm 52 and have been playing Narsan since May. I wouldn't think you were a powerleveler and don't consider myself one.
  14. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

Yeah, it's a glass half-full kind of thing - now we have a use for ALL our abilities, not just two or three. Personally I'm not going to worry about intentionally increasing my INT, but if I see an item with a nice INT bonus than I'll know it's of some use to me. Still plan to concentrate on STR and AGI as my priorities.
  15. ARCHIVED-Demlar Guest

Int will only affect poison damage if poisons are counted as a spell. It actually looks like they do function as spells. Last night, to test this, I dueled a coercer buddy of mine. I took off all offensive procs except my poison (Adeste's) and just turned on autoattack. I saw the poison proc on the 1st shot then he stifled me and I watched my autoattack damage. I never saw another proc, not even the DoT from the poison again for the rest of the fight, although I didn't get to test nearly as long as I wanted because the little [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] started dotting me because he "didn't want to lose the duel."
  16. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

You know what that means... ranger vengeance. ;)
  17. ARCHIVED-Fennir Guest

I like that it's affected by INT, it makes me happier about my balanced set of cobalt (minus gloves there are some great gloves out there).

When I'm in a group, my INT is often buffed to at least over 100, and it is a noticeable effect. On raids I'm often grouped with mages and furies, which is great for this.
  18. ARCHIVED-Ail Guest

Archer frenzy's damage ( our offensive stance) is however affected by str and so are our skills damage....
    PS : Go me and my 23 INT !
    Message Edited by Ail on 11-08-2005 01:34 PM
  19. ARCHIVED-Sotaudi Guest

Wow....Ail are reelie smart.