Your Best Fan Faire Story

Discussion in 'Community News' started by ARCHIVED-Grimwell, Jul 9, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Grimwell Guest

Please use and abuse this thread to share your (forum rules friendly) 'best' story from Fan Faires of the past. As this is my first FF ever, I'm really interested in knowing just what has made it special for people in the past. Plus, I'm thinking that it would be a cool thread to pull quotes from and share via some sort of EQ2Players article before FF. So, if you have been to Fan Faire in the past, what were your best moments? What made the memories and stories that you still share with others?
  2. ARCHIVED-Eriol Guest

The best moment last year IMO was at one of the dev forums. For those that weren't there, they were set up with rows of seats for the audience, with a gap directly down the center for people to walk up/down so that the room was bisected. Then facing everybody on a raised platform were the devs, with a table in front of them. That's all pretty "standard fare". Then Xalmat came in with a camera on a tripod and started setting it up. He was going to record the whole thing. Maybe I was reading in to it too much, but I swear they started sweating a little bit, or at the least gave it a few "ooookaaayyyy" glances. No idea that being filmed was apparently part of the gig. Kinda funny really. Very good transcripts came out of those talks though. Obviously. ;) The costume contest last year was also pretty fun. Seeing Niami in a straitjacket with a rolling pin was pretty cool. The picture is at home though, or I'd link it here.
  3. ARCHIVED-Taea Guest

Coyote and Tallika make excellent pole dancers.... not sure if the pic is SFW.
  4. ARCHIVED-SenorPhrog Guest

No Taea that picture is disturbing...
    Fan Faire was incredibly fun last year and there are a dozen stories easy I could tell (although not all of them appropriate for here).
    I think the most amusing was our trip to Hooters. We noticed a few people on the other side of the room an one of them had on an EQ2 hat. Thinking quickly Coyote wrote /duel on a coaster and rushed it over. This began a long exchange of emotes consuming every coaster we could steal from the restaurant. We made some friends that night, one of which who left their shoes in my room, but it was a good time.
  5. ARCHIVED-Ellyra Guest

I remember being in line at the banquet. The hotel provided these delicious little pineapple-chicken kabobs. I waited patiently in line...the first time, but when I went back for seconds I thought I could be sneaky and stroll up to the front of the line unnoticed. Right as I was plucking a yummy piece of food from the table I heard someone shout from behind, "NINJA LOOTER!" It's those kinds of comments that keep me laughing all weekend.
    Other things I love about Fan Faire:
    • Acting out in-game emotes over drinks
    • Seeing a female dwarf whose beard looks so real you're tempted to tug on it, ignoring possible harmful repercussions!
    • Laughing when names that should never have made it past the badname filter, manage to make their way onto the big screen when selecting winners
    • Grinning upon realizing sin city has been taken over by geeks! (Really, nothing's better than confusing the heck out of your Blackjack dealer while discussing with the person next to you about where you're from, "Oh, I'm from Unrest." "Yeah, I'm from Butcherblock, but at least we're both elves!)
  6. ARCHIVED-Josgar Guest

Can I make up a story, since i have not been to a fanfaire ever?
  7. ARCHIVED-Gnobrin Guest

Aaaah, Fan Faire.. There's truly nothing in the world like being FULLY immersed in gaming, being surrounded by those around you that know your hobby and love it as much as you do. You can turn to a perfect stranger, strike up a conversation and without question, hear about their favorite raid, NPC, boss or ingame location. Whether they're young or old... It doesn't matter, they all have the same heart and drive to explain in detail the same thing you enjoy. Great times with great friends you've never actually met... That's the Fan Faire for me. ~Gnobrin!
  8. ARCHIVED-GPA_Coyote Guest

[p]Meeting, interviewing, hanging out with and having dinner with Larry Elmore and getting one of his prints signed "To Coyote".[/p][p]The print is in my livingroom.[/p][p]The interview is one of the main sources listed in his wiki.[/p][p]The fact that almost no one there knew who he WAS made me want to start revoking geek badges.[/p][p]Shame. Shame on you all.[/p]
  9. ARCHIVED-NiamiDenMother Guest

I decided to put together something a bit, well, wordy. Folks who know me likely won't be surprised by that fact. ;)

Anyway, you've been warned! Fan Faire Memories.

{snaps fingers} I didn't even get into the whole straighjacket of tradeskilling thing, but that's another story altogether!
  10. ARCHIVED-Gnobrin Guest

An outstanding read, Niami! I can't wait to meet you this year! ~Gnobrin!
  11. ARCHIVED-Ellyra Guest

I've already had the pleasure of meeting Niami! *sticks her tongue out at Gnobrin*
  12. ARCHIVED-Josgar Guest

After this year, yall will probabbly tell stories of the crazy high elf and the 8.5 in x 20 ft peice of paper involving convoluted felwithe plans...
  13. ARCHIVED-Gnobrin Guest

::weeps:: You always get the best things. ~Gnobrin!
  14. ARCHIVED-Ellyra Guest

*hands Gnorbin a Gnome brownie* There, there.
  15. ARCHIVED-Amana Guest

Taea wrote:
    :hunf: Alien mind control is posessing me and I must see that picture. Course what I see in that may replace the demon and the 3 headed angry monkey in my nightmares. :XD:
    Sadly I have no tale to tell for Fan Faire since I have never attended one.
  16. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Me neither! Have no fear, we will make our own. If nothing else we need to bind Josgar to a tall stool with his 20' long Felwithe plans and a sticky note reading "GEEK!" on his forehead! (Note: I'm harmless, really.)
  17. ARCHIVED-Josgar Guest

Wow... thats scary!
  18. ARCHIVED-Loolee Guest

I am not above taking bribes Amana. :twisted:
  19. ARCHIVED-SG_01 Guest

Will be my first one this year. And probably the only one in a time to come. Soo, it'd better be good this year :D
  20. ARCHIVED-Owlchick Guest

I enjoyed the heck out of each Fan Faire I've attended!
    Getting to meet and spend time with folks who enjoy our games is at the top of the list, of course! Watching the karaoke, both in Vegas and with the live band in Atlanta...there were some great performances! Quark's was cool, too. 8) Owing Mawie a "dirty girl scout!" Niami's trailmix and chocolates...mmmm!
    Sadly, we never did get to a Waffle House in Atlanta for grits; the other devs wouldn't let me commandeer the bus heading to the airport when I finally spotted one on the side of the freeway.
    I'm looking forward to whatever new memories will come from this Fan Faire!