You turn your back for 5 minutes....

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Febrith, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Febrith Well-Known Member

So I've been offline most of today trying to sort out my PC (blergh - still unable to do any videos today but I'm working on it!) and I zone into the Guild Hall to find someone's made a lovely surprise! Suddenly travel to PoM got more interesting - thanks Bougie!

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Kaitheel, Roxxlyy, Ratbill and 4 others like this.
  2. Ritual Active Member

OMG I'm so sorry , I didn't mean to fry your computer , I was just kidding.... I thought , I feel so bad now , ill never post again . I'm a disaster just looking for tragedies ......:eek:........or causing them. Please forgive me .
    Febrith and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  3. Febrith Well-Known Member

Lol no it's my own fault for refusing to upgrade to Windows 10 - Windows 7 hasn't been updating properly on my PC for some reason and now those chickens have come home to roost. Good news though, my graphics glitches seem to have been resolved - now I've just got a mere 117 updates to do when I go to bed o_O
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ow... :-/

Strangely enough, I didn't get too many headaches when I refused their "BEND OVER TO RECEIVE WIN10 NOW!!1!!!1!!! IT'S L33T!11!!!!! Vaseline to arrive with the next update...to Win11! :D" offers. Maybe I just lucked out... :-/

Uwk
    Febrith likes this.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

On a lighter note, where is this Guild Hall (I'm guessing Thurgadin, but... ;->) and is it open to Visitors? :)

Uwk
  6. Febrith Well-Known Member

Lol, that's exactly how I felt - it was as though Win 10 was being forced on me. Mind you, I was dragged kicking and screaming from Wins XP (there was nothing wrong with it - why must they meddle with things?!)

And yes by all means come to visit - it's called The Midnight Legion - High Keep T3 - access from Ant Docks - an ongoing project decorated by me (and now by Bougie too) - this is ace, now I can log in wondering what next exciting creation I might find!
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd probably still be with WinXP if it hadn't been for my mother board dying in spectacular fashion...and the Art Dept. here insisting on greater and greater medieval spectaculars. Win7 is still useful for me with the graphics requirements, but we'll see how long that lasts. /fingers_crossed

Uwk
    Febrith likes this.
  8. Merriel Well-Known Member

Omg, I hate Win10 and regret the decision to change over to it when they offered it free. Yet, I feel if I hadn't, I would be regretting that decision as well. It's a Lose/Lose situation. They stop supporting their previous operating systems which had nothing wrong with them...I loved both WinXP and Win7 and I absolutely abhor Win10, yet this is what they dished out to us.

I also question why they made such a horrific change, but I realized with Win10, they are trying to force some things down our throats, not giving us as much freedom as they have in past operating systems. Why can't I choose whether or not to receive updates...oh, I can put it off and put it off and put it off for a while, but at some point, they force me to update, whether I want to or not. I had to do some digging to find out how I could log into my computer without having to log into my hotmail account as well, and that was quite annoying too. I don't want my computer logged in through my email account. They make changes to my computer dashboard without asking me if I want those changes, when I do finally update. Win10 is not as user friendly as their previous operating systems either, and I feel like I have to jump through hoops just to figure out how to do certain things that before, I could do in an instant.

I would so very much love if they would go back to Win7 or some version similar to it. Since switching to Win10, I can't tell you how many times I have seriously considered switching to a Linux operating system and leave Microsoft far, far behind me. If I didn't need the Microsoft Suite software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) for school, I most definitely would be on a Linux OS by now.

Edit: Lol, sorry, I got distracted by the turn of conversation in this thread and forgot to say what I had come to say in the first place. That is a pretty cool setup for your PoM/CoV portal. What a nice surprise! Very nice job, Bougie. :D
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

And the 64K question: will this game run on a Linux OS computer? :-/

Uwk
    who wonders about some of the other older programs I have...my old AutoCAD 2000?
  10. Merriel Well-Known Member

I believe that it will, but of course, I have not tested it. I am of the understanding, however, that there is some kind of software program that will allow it to work in Linux.
  11. Seni Active Member

That looks like it was a lovely surprise!! I hope you get your machine sorted quickly ;)

Feel free to ignore my rant below.. it hit my Win10 sore spot.. :D

I hate it with the burning passion of a thousand, thousand suns. Every time I figure out a way to block them forcing my computer to "update" they find a way around it. Takes them a while sometimes but I think they have a full team bent on making sure users remain compliant.

Supposedly it's about security, but it's really about monetizing us. The instant we use a Win10 computer on the internet we are fingerprinted. Everywhere we surf, everything we do or buy, is noted. And we can no longer opt out of sending MS any of our data - at first they even default to sending the file you were working on when you have an issue, when you crash, or whenever they feel like it. As a software developer, that is a major security hole and I don't trust that they are not doing it anyway even with that bit turned off. But go look in settings - you have the choice to send them every data point they want, or only about 3/4 of it as a smaller subset. There is no "do not send my information at all" like a privacy-conscious company should have. We are a pile of marketing points to them.

What really gets me - I bought this computer (didn't want to, my Win7 machine was working fine until it suddenly croaked, which seems to be a common theme now doesn't it?), Microsoft does not own it and I do not want them sticking their fingers into it whenever they please. They have bricked too many of my machines in the past to trust any update they send out, especially since they try to utilize your neighbors to send it to you, and then use you to send it to the next person (nope, don't trust that bit being turned off, either - they don't want to foot that bandwidth bill so they're making us do it). Windows 10 is a security nightmare plus they are bandwidth thieves. [Next time you start lagging in the game? It could be your Win10 taking up the entire upload pipe sending the latest update to someone else. Which reminds me, I need to install a network monitor but I'm wondering if Win10 will let me..] [and if this is a surprise to you, this is a good article on it]

I've heard about running Windows programs with Wine on Linux, and I'm about >< this close to trying it before I take a sledgehammer to it instead. They want to preach about privacy and security but want you to ignore their shenanigans.. blargh

</rant>

ugh why don't we have spoiler tags?
  12. Febrith Well-Known Member

Well if I wasn't sure before about continuing to avoid it, I am now - that was really helpful Seni.
    I've never been one for change for change's sake, I've never had a yen for the newest, shiniest anything, whether it be TV, car, computer or cake mixer - or any thing. As long as the item I have fulfils my purpose then that's all I need or want. That's not to say I can't admire someone's shiny new Jaguar, but I'd rather have the old Mk II thanks very much - as long as it gets me from A to B (I don't have one btw, just I totally would lol). I hated Windows 8 and booted it back to 7 and I will stay with it as long as I can, or like you, seek other alternatives. See what the world looks like when that time comes I guess.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

From what I'd heard, 8.1 wasn't too hideous: better than 8.0 or 10, not as good as 7. /shrug

It's sad that companies seem to be intent on removing options from their users. :-/

EDIT: After reading the entirety of Seni's comments (didn't take too long, actually! Nice read :)), I wouldn't worry about spoilers, Seni, unless you're Beta-testing the next expac the devs here will be coming out with in Nov. 2018. ;->

Uwk
    Seni and Merriel like this.
  14. Merriel Well-Known Member

Thank you for that link, Seni.

So, in regards to "peer-to-peer content delivery feature", is there a way to turn this 'feature', or rather 'theft' off, or did Microsoft make that impossible to do as well? I certainly don't appreciate it, and I'd like to block it if I can. No wonder my computer sounds like it's constantly running even when I'm not using it. No wonder my movies are constantly buffering. I guess this 'free' operating system wasn't so free after all.
    Seni and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  15. Seni Active Member

There is an on/off setting for it, but I don't trust it. I've been wanting to install a network monitor to see if it really does turn it off but haven't had the chance. I would definitely set it to "off" as that at least tells them another person doesn't want them stealing bandwidth. Instructions on how to disable it are in this article.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

After reading the 2015 article (can't believe no one's freaked out loudly and publicly/bad guys have taken no advantage since), I'm seriously concerned, not so much about them stealing my bandwidth (which is low-down enough; whatsamatta, Microsoft, can't afford another solid gold yacht this quarter if you have to maintain a server farm?), but about security issues. It almost sounds like they're leaving your computer wide open for anything/anyone/any you name it when these updates/upgrades (which is it, Microsoft? Do make up your minds, please) are shoved through ("No need to worry; we are the safestest! Yes we are--wait, what back door...?")...and I bet you can't tell it when/if to update or upgrade any more, you just have to bend over and hope the Vaseline is coming Soon(TM), right?

Uwk
    Seni and Juraiya like this.
  17. Merriel Well-Known Member

You can, sort of. It gives you the option to click 'later' or some such, but you can't just tell it to stop trying to update. Eventually, it pops up a box that I have to search very carefully for the little link that lets me tell it again, later. But if my computer gets shut down unexpectedly, such as when we had that tornado a few weeks ago and the power went out...when you turn the computer back on, the updates are forced on you because you can't even sign into the computer until the updates are done.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ow ow ow. :(

Uwk
    Seni likes this.
  19. Juraiya Well-Known Member

Seni, thank you VERY MUCH for that good information! I agree with Uwk; bad enough they're stealing my bandwidth for THEIR UPDATES, but the ginormous security hole has me worried big time. I am really surprised that, since it has been known about for over two years, no one has taken advantage of it.

Or maybe someone has, and we just don't know about it. :(

At least I turned off that function, but I doubt it did a thing about the security hole. :(
  20. Seni Active Member

You're welcome - I'm glad at least a few more people are aware of it. It is indeed a giant security hole. This is why I'm seriously considering going to Linux - if I can get Wine to work with EQ2 then it would probably work with any of the other programs I use.

As for forced updates - if you aren't forced offline by tornadoes, it will eventually force that update on you. It only gives you so many "annoy me later" links. It's extremely aggravating. You can get a longer time limit if you tell it (in settings) that you're on metered bandwidth, but that only works if you are using wireless, not if you're hard wired to your router.
    Merriel and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.