You gotta be kidding - Researchers of Ro: Renewal

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Raeven, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Raeven Well-Known Member

You know what you have done, right?

I did the RoR tradeskill line in beta when beta started. The first instance had 9 mobs, single mobs. You could kill them or throw pollen on them to get through the instance.

I am doing it now on the Test server, and there are now groups of THREE mobs, all ^^^ level 130. If you throw pollen on one the other 2 attack you.

Unless those mobs scale to player adventure level, there is NO WAY a low level adventurer but high level crafter can survive that instance.

What you have done, unless the mobs scale, is make it so players who are only interested in crafting can't play the new expansion. You should not attempt to control how people choose to play this game. Some people only want to adventure, some only want to craft and decorate. This game has something for every play style, but not every player wants to do it all.

I sincerely hope they scale, but I personally don't have a toon I can test that with.
  2. Bramdar Active Member

In addition to the pollen, you can also harvest root balls from roots inside the instance. The root balls will root each individual mob without aggroing the group, and then the pollen will kill them. This is how I completed the instance yesterday.

I'm not sure when this change was made (adding the root balls and making the mobs more difficult,) but both items show up in the quest helper window for you to use once you harvest them.
    Dude and Raeven like this.
  3. Raeven Well-Known Member

If that is the net thing you throw on them, i did that too, and the mobs aggroed. Although maybe that was because my pet and merc attacked, not sure, will have to try with another toon. Thanks for the info.
    Breanna and Dude like this.
  4. Bramdar Active Member

That could be - when I ran the instance, I didn't have a pet or a merc active. The mobs inside the instance definitely move quickly, and they move far, but the root balls have a very long range of use and as long as the groups aren't already aggro, using the roots on one doesn't cause the others to aggro at least.
    Raeven and Dude like this.
  5. Tkia Well-Known Member

Helpful hint: Crafting instances are always designed to be doable by low level adventurers and you are usually actively discouraged from trying to fight by the excessively high level of mobs. Consequently you should ALWAYS disniss pets and mercs and do them alone in order to avoid any accidental agro causing problems such as the one you describe.
    Crazycatlady, Raeven and Dude like this.
  6. Denmum Developer

Keep the pet and merc backed off, and root TWO of each linked group before you pollen the loose third. Since they are linked groups of three, you have to make sure at least two of them are locked down before you aggro the third by taking it out of commission, then you can handle the two rooted ones.
    Breanna, Jaden and Raeven like this.
  7. Raeven Well-Known Member

I went back with a toon in VoV gear, no pet, no merc. I tried to root all three in a group before using pollen. It worked! Well, except for 2 groups where the last one in group aggroed on me before I could root him, but just did pollen on him first, then on the rooted ones.
    Crazycatlady, Denmum and Bramdar like this.
  8. Maviarab Active Member

Let's be straight here though eh....none of this should need doing in a CRAFTING instance.
    Crazycatlady, Breanna and Herne like this.
  9. Herne Active Member

Crafting whats that? we don't have crafting quests anymore, all we have now is - run around a tiny zone while dodging epic or heroic mobs while harvesting the odd node now and again.
    Crazycatlady, Breanna and Maviarab like this.
  10. Bramdar Active Member

This event is a bit different than previous tradeskill questlines, since it's the same event the adventurers see. It would've been more fitting if we could've been able to craft the solution to the situation, but that may not have been an option for this specific instance.

If you mean that crafters shouldn't be finding ways to deal with challenging and/or potentially untouchable mobs though, then I couldn't disagree more. Many of the crafting questlines have included content where we've had to dodge, incapacitate, or kill mobs way too challenging to fight normally.
    Twyla likes this.
  11. Maviarab Active Member

Disagree all you like *shrugs*....but no, crafters should not be having to find ways of avoiding, incapacitating or killing mobs that can one shot them (in instances), and before you get an your horse...my main crafters are all capped....so not much of an issue for me....but I have guildies who's crafters are not their adventuring main....

What has been done in the last few years (PoP onwards) is irrelevant to the equation. I know it's been done...it was wrong then and it's still wrong/bad design now. Unless the ultimate aim is to annoy people so much that the $20 120 token looks more and more appealing, in which case, I guess it's all working as intended.
    Breanna and Dude like this.
  12. Tkia Well-Known Member

While I agree that what's been happening from PoP onwards is not good and has saved me a lot of money in expansion costs, 'avoiding, incapacitating or killing mobs that can one shot them' has been the norm in crafting questlines ever since Domino started to give us them. And most of my crafters are around level 52.
  13. Bentenn Well-Known Member

I just like and find funny that the first Public Researcher in Sand Delta is researching a guild hall door lol.... let that sink in.
    Maviarab likes this.
  14. Melkior Well-Known Member

This is not a new thing. It was a big part of the Earring of the Solstice questline way back in the day. I get it. Not everyone enjoys that challenge. I have high adventure level crafters and low adventure level crafters. I happen to like the challenge. When you get more than a few people playing a game, some people will not like some of the content. It isn't 'wrong' it's just something intended for someone who like something different.
    Twyla likes this.
  15. Dude Well-Known Member

Maybe we're about to see a new guild hall introduced to the game? I wish all the towns had unique guild halls. A guild hall in New Halas should not look like something in Qeynos, but I doubt we're about to see a wholesale reskinning of existing guild halls.
  16. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I'm not clear on why people even have an issue with this. You root one mob from as far away as possible, root the second mob, then kill the third. Then you go back and kill the rooted ones. None of them should ever get to you.
  17. Bramdar Active Member

I've done the instance three times now, and unless I'm missing something obvious, my only problem with it is that it's not very clear what the crafters are supposed to do. I think the only mention during the event is a line of text along the lines of "deal with them by any means necessary."

I'm not advocating for holding my hand through the entire event, but maybe if it's possible to have one of the NPCs speak up and say something like, "They're too powerful! We can't fight them head on!" or the like. Something to get us thinking there must be an alternative.

Overall I like these "crafters deal with powerful NPCs" events - I think they add variety to the tradeskill questlines and they aren't always too frequent. But I do think that this specific one could benefit from some more clarity.
    Dude likes this.
  18. Xevran Well-Known Member

It's definitely not obvious at all what low level characters are supposed to do, but it's pretty easy once you figure it out. And by "figure it out" I mean check the wiki.
    Pathetica and Dude like this.