You can grow fast in adventure levels. But tradeskills levels won't go at the same rate. Why?

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-sargonnath, Jun 28, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-sargonnath Guest

Today, it is not uncommon to enter a dungeon with a group at level 48 and leave it at level 52, in a single "good evening of gaming", of three hours of playing.
    However, trying to do the same with your tradeskill isn't so easiest.
    Going from 48 to 52, you can expect doing it in three days, with around 300-400 items created.
    And a feeling of very strong boredom, because you have to create each level 60 copies of the same item just to gain each time the 1% of experience it offers, again and again...
    Can the amount of experience received be increased to allow the tradeskill class to follow the adventure class more easily?
    Or at least, can a way be found to avoid the creation of 60 times (or more) the same items, with no goal other than trying to leave "that level 51"? A time comes there is no more fun click on icons in order to do exactly what you did the previous hour.
  2. ARCHIVED-Nuhus Guest

If you want some variety at level 50+ you can do the tradeskill instances (TSO), also the quest line to get access to them first. The tradeskill quests give decent xp. I wouldn't recommend soloing the instances at that level though.
    imo you can tradeskill faster than adventurer, it's just less change of scenery.
  3. ARCHIVED-ashen1973 Guest

its actually much faster to level TS than adventure (at least at higher levels). I managed to go from lvl 70 to 80 Carpenter in about 10 hours on RoK launch day. (this wasnt something i ever intended to do, or expected to ever want to , but somehow got caught up in a 'must do it NOW' cycle :p )
    there are many more wasy to level TS now, rather than just pumping out items. there are many TS quests, and rush-orders are, to me anyway, the best way to level.
  4. ARCHIVED-sargonnath Guest

Rush orders? You mean, Create 10 Shields and 5 maces in 8 minutes?
    It allows to gain 12 - 15% experience at the cost of doing 15 items.
    The level is then complete after having created 60 shields and 30 maces. Nothing seems to me more boring than that!
    What the game here? What the fun of creating 60 same items of one kind, 30 of another kind? This is what I especially want to avoid.
    I have three artisans at levels 40, 42 and 45.
    How can I make them grow up in level without crafting 60 or more items each level?
    Are some quests available for them, if TSO is for levels 50 and more?
  5. ARCHIVED-Skywarrior Guest

sargonnath wrote:
    If you don't enjoy crafting then ... don't do it. I agree that crafting in EQ2 is boring and due to the mechanics doesn't even really allow for easy socialization. Not Domino's fault ... she inherited what we have. Even Vanguard has a better crafting system than EQ2. Still, the simple answer if you really hate it is to not do it. It's not like it is required.
    Unless they completely revamp the crafting experience I really don't see it changing much from what it is. It really is quite easy and relatively fast to raise a crafter via rush orders, even if deadly boring. Almost anything they do to make it not boring is going to take a major overhaul and just making it faster is ... well that isn't a good answer either.
  6. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Skywarrior wrote:
    Personally, if I had the chance to change what crafting is in EQ2 I'd go back to the beta notes and actually try and do what was origionally promised. It would take maybe 10 minuites to make a single item. You'd do stuff that actually feels like your making the item. It would be a process, and a game in and of itself. Each crafting class would have a different game.
    How would this change crafting? Getting a suit of armor produced would be a major amount of effort for an armorer. Weaponsmiths don't just crank out an entire army's worth of weapons in an evening. Cooks would actually make enough food to feed an army at one time much like actual army cooks can. When you brew, you'd brew an entire cask at a time, not just enough to fill two glasses. The final step in alchemy would be to dispense the potion brewed into individual vials from the beakers used to brew it. The scale of what you make would more closely fit our real world expectations. The economy would shift because while the tasks themselves would be more "fun" it would also take more time. Crafted items would actually be rare because of the time it takes to make them and the actual skill needed rather than just grinding up to a certain level.
    That's what was promised in beta, and that is what never happened. I do realize it won't happen in EQ2 because nobody wants that kind of effort put into rehauling an already existing game, but it really is what I want deep down inside.
  7. ARCHIVED-sargonnath Guest

Meirril, if it never been done, it wasn't far. It was a time creating an Handcrafted armor took 5 minutes, with three tools, for a really deceiving item. That made tradeskilling unpopular and SOE had to change it.
    The greatest troubles when asking a 10 minutes work to do your item are:
    - You have to create a nice item in exchange, with lot of attributes and bonus. It can make the adventurer overstuffed very soon.
    - The time you spend at tradeskill work or harvest isn't a time you use in a MMORPG.
    When you do tradeskill, you are alone. When you harvest, too.
    A nightmare is a MMORPG with 1000 people on it, but you can't find a group for a small dungeon because 600 players are harvesting or do their tradeskill.

Because tradeskill conflict with going in adventure, no much time spend in tradeskill should be wished.
    Or you will find a game where no one no more group, because the player is alone in is own instance taking care of himself. Tradeskill, Harvest, Legend of Norrath are things that destroy groups, makes the MMORPG become a single player RPG.
  8. ARCHIVED-Nolrog Guest

Skywarrior wrote:
    Vanguard's crafting system was aweful. That's the first time I truely hated doing tradeskills.
    EQ2's system is the best one that I've personally seen.
  9. ARCHIVED-Finora Guest

I agree with the above poster about Vanguard crafting. It's like pulling teeth and what you get (at low levels at least) is just a waste of time. I couldn't stand it enough bothering to level it up more.
    And 3 days to get from 48-52 in crafting? /boggle what the heck are you doing, sleeping at the keyboard? No offense but I have been known to take a character from lvl 75-80 in an evening session and if I was up for staying up a bit doing their quests to get their POTP recipes. It's definately not as bad as you make it out.
    OP if you are that bored doing crafting, don't do it. There are plenty of us out there that rather enjoy it the way it is. I personally don't run adventure instances too often lately, because (to quote you) "A time comes there is no more fun click on icons in order to do exactly what you did the previous hour."
  10. ARCHIVED-Terron Guest

sargonnath wrote:
    Yes levelling as an adventurer is far too fast.
    sargonnath wrote:
    But you can level a crafter even faster, though it is boring.
    At about 6 minutes per rush order (they can be done faster if you try hard) that is about 36 minutes to level by your figures, easily 4 levels in 3 hours without rushing.
    sargonnath wrote:
    It would need to be decreased.
    sargonnath wrote:
    You mean like the quests that have been added.
    Or the group instances (not successful IMO but a worthy effort).
    Or making items for sale? (which only works for some classes).