Wrong Rare being used

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Bellamorte, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Bellamorte Active Member

OK, I was wondering if anyone else has has this happen.
    Today I was making a commision item for a friend. It was the Coarse Skullcap of the Dragon Seer. This item requires
    1 metallic reptile hide, 3 prime wyvern stinger, 2 prime maligonian horns, 1 prime drake fang, 20 effulgent filament.
    In the commision window my friend placed all of the materials, including a PURIFIED METALLIC REPTILE HIDE.
    I made sure it was purified, and I checked my logs as well. Well I then went on to craft the item. Then as I was starting to do the experiments on it, I noticed that the stat boost was missing. Sure enough, the game had taken the UNREFINED hide out of my inventory instead of the purified one that he placed in the window. The one I had in my bags was missing, his was still there and the stats were the regular stats. I am going back and forth on a petition right now, though I am not sure how far that will get me.

I know this is NOT the first time this has happened, I had a friend that had the same thing that happened, and I blew it off as a bug, now it seems to be a reoccuring trend. I quickly looked on the forums, and I admit maybe not as in depth as I could have but I didn't see anything else posted. Has anyone else seen this happening?
  2. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

It has been posted here or on the old forums, not sure if there was a reponse but it appears that the tradeskill window uses the best item in your inventory as the matieral - I always put those in the bank as soon as I make them after the first time it occurred.
  3. Elostirion Well-Known Member

There were patch notes on this just last week.

The tradeskill window does select the best rare for the combine, and always has.

HOWEVER with refined materials, that isnt always what you want. There were several threads complaining that refined soft metals and refined gemstones were being selected to make spells, and there is zero benefit to doing that.

So the functionality was changed relative to purified rares just last week. Standard rares are selected, and its up to you to upgrade to the purified if you're doing a recipe where that matters.
    Terrogaunt likes this.
  4. Bellamorte Active Member

NO, this isnt a REGULAR combine. This was a COMMISION. Meaning the recipie is supposed to ONLY use what is put in the commision window, unless there is something missing from the window that is then in the inventory.. The customer put the Purified in the window. And it has Always used what was in the window regardless of what was in inventory etc. I understand about the rest of the crafting. I have 9 max level crafters, and I am well aware of the changes to the rares picking the purified etc, and needing to make those changes when crafting someting on my own. However. On a commision craft, there is NO way to make that change. You ONLY have the option to use what the customer has given to you IN the commision window, unless, again it is missing and it is a piece in you inventory.

In this case, I am going to restate what happened since it seems like people are confused.

I had a customer, he place a PURIFIED rare, the rest of the Primes in my commision window. In this instance the only thing I, as the crafter was providing was the fuel. Instead of using the Purified that the customer placed in the commision window like it is designed, the game choose to take the regular one that I had in my inventory from a recent salvage. So this has nothing to do with me not picking the right rare. The commision system is messing up.

I know of at least one other crafter on the server that has had this same issue happen.
    Kethryl likes this.
  5. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Well, the warning is clear.... Have no non-refined rares on you if attempting such a thing.

Beyond that, yah, sounds like a bug introduced when the process was rigged to prefer non-refined materials over refined materials unless explicitly selected...
  6. Elostirion Well-Known Member

Now that would be a horse of a different color.
  7. Encori Active Member

I had the same problem, except I went over the recipe info like a lawyer and caught it, which apparently we have to do now.
    I cancelled the commission, banked my rare, and started over.
    Nevertheless, this is pretty rediculous, especially with it being changed with no reasonable warning.

Plus I suspect the recipient of the commission has no way to see what's going on and approve the correct item or reject the wrong item.
    Plus there's no way to upgrade the item from regular to purified, after it has been made (a common request) so this type of error would have to go to customer service.
  8. Elostirion Well-Known Member

There was reasonable warning- there were patch notes like every other change.

But this is definitely an unintended consequence deserving attention. Thanks for posting a workaround though.
  9. Bellamorte Active Member

Yeah, I have a petition open already. However I wanted to get some other feedback to see if anyone else was seeing the same thing as well.
  10. Bellamorte Active Member

There WERE patch notes about the other changes to the rares. However, like Elostirion said, this is an unintended consequence. I have just been having them hand me the materials since then and changing the rare being used. But it is something that needs to be addressed because it can easily be missed.
  11. Encori Active Member

The original way had a big different colored message saying PURIFIED RARE HERE! in the interface. Still risky but you had some warning, even if it was easy to miss by going through habit.

Now, there's no more warning in the game, but there was a patch message that you can easily screw up a combine worth a few thousand? NOT reasonable. How many people even read patch messages? Very few if you actually talk to other players. And that's why I said "no reasonable warning."

Apparently we'll need separate actual recipes for the purified item and the regular item.
  12. Elostirion Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but that's just not an excuse. "I had a warning but I didnt bother reading it, therefore there wasnt a warning".

These kind of games have worked this way for decades now. Read the patcher, know what is going on. Dont read it, blame yourself.

On another note... you dont still see the green "Refined!" message when making a refined item? I did as of two days ago. I think that was on this side of the patch.... I'll check next time I'm in.
  13. Bellamorte Active Member

When you are making a regular item , you you DO get the green "refined" message next to the rare, and you also have the option to change it to a non-refined if so desired. However, there is no such message on a commision and never has been that I have been aware of. The only way that I have been able to verify the rare was to 1) check the window, make sure it was the purified, and 2) make sure the chat box said soandso placed Purified "rare" in the commision window.
  14. Elostirion Well-Known Member

But after the commission terms are accepted, the tradeskill window gains focus, showing the recipe with populated fields. That window looks the same, except for the additional continued presence of the commission window. You still hit "begin" on the tradeskill window after hitting "accept" on the commission window.....so the usual place for the green message should be there.

I'll have to look at it again as soon as the little one goes to sleep.
  15. Bellamorte Active Member

Well, just to let anyone know, the petition came back and I was granted permission to get the materials and such back if the customer chose. He declined at this point because I had done a full 5 experiments on it and while I have a very good track record he didnt want to court chance and have it be lost if there was a failure. BUT the GM is aware of this thread and I am hopeful that we will see a fix in the near future.
    Cyliena and Kethryl like this.