wow. is Swooping Crane Master 2 always that powerful?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Cusashorn, Dec 14, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

It might have just been the group I was in the other day, but when I finally dinged 54, I chose Swooping Crane Master 2 for the new upgrade. My group at the time was fighting Cyclops in Pillars of flame.

The spell says 374-624 crushing damage, which for the most part on monsters I fight, is true.

But that group of Orange conning level 59 cyclops we were fighting, I set a new personal damage record with 743.

I just find it weird that I'd score so high on a monster who's level alone would make it hard for me to damage.
  2. ARCHIVED-hennet Guest

Its prolly because of your group make up.
  3. ARCHIVED-Cyngii Guest

I'm not sure if it's a display bug or not, but unless you actually "examine" a weapon or CA the damage at your current STR/INT won't necessarily display (who's to say it is showing is right anyway). Like with CAs the value that it says by mousing over the icon won't necessarily be the same as when you actually "examine" it. I'm not sure if the value they are showing is 100% accurate either as i've hit for more damage than what the spell shows mulitple times.
  4. ARCHIVED-x0rtrunks Guest

If you had a fury in your group, you can chock that up to primal fury :)
  5. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Nope. No druids.
  6. ARCHIVED-Mandelbrodt Guest

Maybe a dirge?

Dirge - 52 - Clara's Cataclysmic Cacophony - Decreases target encounter's crushing, piercing, and slashing resistance. This song requires a recurrent power cost to maintain
  7. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Lets see.. I remember a troubador, a templar, a shadowknight, an illusionist, and a wizard.
  8. ARCHIVED-x0rtrunks Guest

I'm no expert on those classes, but any one of them could have a strength buff. That would be what effects your damage.
  9. ARCHIVED-bluefish Guest

Maybe the mob was seriously debuffed?
  10. ARCHIVED-Cyngii Guest

Debuffing shouldn't effect the theoretical max damage of a CA i wouldn't think. I just check and just mousing over a CA does show the current damage range per your buffs (weapons you still have to "examine" to get current damage range). I did a quick self buff test of my Swooping Crane Adept1 and got these results:

STR = 184 -> 273-455 damage
    STR = 206 -> 279-465 damage
    STR = 289 -> 301-503 damage

Bout all i can say is check what your spell reads when in a similar group. If you hit for more than what the spell reads I would think there is an error in the value it's displaying. Just my 2cp.
  11. ARCHIVED-Timaarit Guest

A templar can add 10 to 15% (app4 to adept III) to groups melee damage with a mitigation debuff.
  12. ARCHIVED-KnowHao Guest

hehe, you guys are forgetting that wizards have a STR/INT buff :)
  13. ARCHIVED-Timaarit Guest

But this would show up in the ability damage description. So my guess is that the extra damage came from the templars mitigation debuff.
  14. ARCHIVED-KnowHao Guest

I don't think the OP listed the CA dmg reading with the wizard in group, probably just jotted it down while solo. Depending on the build of the monk and wizard, you could easily peg the monk's STR to the cap.

/shrug
  15. ARCHIVED-Timaarit Guest

Of course there is no way of knowing who got the buff, op or the SK. The templar debuff will give all melee classes the same bonus.
    Message Edited by Timaarit on 12-15-2005 11:25 AM
  16. ARCHIVED-Reposado Guest

SK and Templars both have mitigation debuffs. I've seen some CAs hit well over max because of those.
  17. ARCHIVED-Junaru Guest

Also the Wizard buff is group NOT target. Atleast I think it is since the Warlock version of it is group.
  18. ARCHIVED-chanahook Guest

She already posted her grp makeup which included a troub...they are the offensive
    part of the bard family with dirges being more defensive.
    The troubs have grp offensive buffs and also enemy debuffs.
  19. ARCHIVED-Bladewind Guest

Troubs have a group str buff, group offensive skill increases, various target encounter debuffs, etc... The damage display on a CA is buggy at best. I'd say the str buffs from the wiz and the troub alone would jack damage up considerably in addition to possible debuffs and skill increases.
  20. ARCHIVED-Rrawl Guest

Incorrect. By simply using a Ruin Imbued Hex Doll's mitigation debuff I can make higher damage marks then the max listed on my CA's even when solo. (= Oh, and buy your ruin imbued hes dolls today! *Tailor plug, had to be done*