Worth Starting in Nov 2019

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Cinnerly, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Cinnerly New Member

Hi guys havent played since freeport server was launched and i am thinking of returning. Is server still active, is the game still active. Guilds recruiting etc? or is it too late to jump back in?
    witchy77 and Dude like this.
  2. Breanna Well-Known Member

Yes, Yes, Yes, and never to late. Welcome back :) They just came out with a new expansion, and they are starting a new server, but it is sub only, if you are planning on subbing maybe perfect for you. Other than that Maj'Dul is probably the most populated if you aren't subbing. There is also Kaladim (a TLE) which is very populated but that is sub only also.
    witchy77, Dude, Cyrrena and 1 other person like this.
  3. Cinnerly New Member

thanks for quick reply i will be subbing for sure. I been looking at Ascension is it as complicated as it looks or is it just reading about it is harder than actually managing the character?
    Cyrrena likes this.
  4. Dilon Active Member

Hi, the game is still chugging along. You will find that perhaps the overall population is lower than other MMOs but the player base is pretty dedicated. Most players are friendly and happy to help new players as well.

If you decide to return the first question is which server you will play on. I know you said you will sub so the TLE server is an option for you - it is a time locked expansion server that just opened Kingdom of Sky, with a level cap of 70. For me personally the KoS/EoF/RoK period was great fun. There are more lower level players and fewer barriers to raiding in general. However I don't play on the TLE server so I can't offer more than that.

You could also play a traditional live server. There are a handful of US based servers and one EU based server. If you do this there will be more mechanics and you will find that leveling up tends to be a solo experience. The player base is at the level cap. But, for a while now, when new expansions have been released they come with a level up bauble so you can get started on current content.

There will also be a new live server that rolls out today, if that sounds like something of interest to you.

Ascension is a combat mechanic that was introduced a couple of expansions ago. They have been very simplified so probably what you are reading is obsolete wiki info. In a nutshell there are 4 ascension classes. Any profession class (i.e. wizard, guardian) can pick any ascension class, and you also switch between them. However, practically speaking, you will want to pick one and stick with it so you an level it up and focus on upgrading the abilities. Ascension abilities are incredibly powerful; for most classes they are the best damage spells by far. They also come with good buffs and debuffs.

For what it's worth, my short description of ascension classes would be:

Geomancer - melee-focused, commonly taken by healers and tanks who don't mind sacrificing DPS in exchange for survivability. Two notable abilities are Obsidian Mind which allows all gorup abilities to hit for max damage and Xenolith which is an enormous group ward. Probably the least popular ascension and regarded as the worst of the four.

Etherealist - superb direct damage with great buffs to boot. Probably the most popular ascension class because of how versatile it is. Notable abilities are Feedback Loop which is a huge damage proc and Ethershadow Assassin which is an enormous mana-based single-target damage spell, akin to manaburn back in the day.

Elementalist - a good pairing for wizards and conjurors. Excellent damage spells, in my opinion they are a bit behind the etherealist abilities in terms of damage output, and the two biggest ones are both long DoTs. The debuffs are excellent - elementalists can de-level an enemy and also significantly reduce their combat mitigation. As I am a wizard this is what I use.

Thaumaturgist - on par with elementalists, good for warlocks and necromancers, and for shadowknights too (although most would prefer etherealist over thaum). They get a really nice buff for a groupmate which increases ability doublecast.
    Juraiya, witchy77, Dude and 2 others like this.
  5. Cinnerly New Member

thanks that makes sense, I ad lvl 90s SK and a raid geared warlock from 2010/11ish so i was thinking of rerolling, reliving the experience and relearning my chars again, I am on skyfire so it seems, which is where freeporters went when i read about it. Is it active or is it dead?
    Cyrrena likes this.
  6. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Skyfire is not as populated as the others but it does have a moderate population. You would need to log in during the hours you would normally play and take a peek to be sure.

MajDul and Halls of Fate have the highest Live Server populations, AB is where most of the roleplayers and decorators are, but you wont find them unless you join RPLFG or Homeshow as most have general chat turned off. Nagafen is the new seasonal PvP server but it just closed its season on 29 October 2019 and a new one has not started yet.

Kaladim is the PvE TLE, it is on Kingdom of Sky which was unlocked last week, so the level cap is 70 and AAs were just unlocked. There is a moderate to high population, there are a lot of good, friendly, helpful guilds, some raiding, some casual. You can talk to any member of Court of the Blood Rose for a friendly, helpful, casual guild, and members of Aftermath for a good, friendly, casual and raiding guild. Aftermath has both casual members and raiders. Court of the Blood Rose has some raiders but more casuals.

Isle of Refuge is a subscription only Free Trade Server, it has an extremely low population, but has a lot of bonuses that other servers do not have, and a lot of items that are usually heirloom or no-trade on Live Servers can be traded on IoR. Mostly its people transferring from live servers to IoR to buy stuff from the broker, waiting 30 days which is required and then transferring back to their home server.

Rivervale is a brand new server that is opening today. You can start at level 1 or you will receive a bauble that will allow you to start as a level 95 Heroic character. Rivervale will also be a Free Trade Server. This might be another option for you if you were thinking of starting new characters as there will be new communities starting, new guilds forming, all the stuff that happens when a new server opens.

Whatever you choose to do, welcome back to Norrath!! Enjoy your journeys, stop and smell the roses from time to time, and have fun, that is why you are here!
    Juraiya, Siren, Dude and 2 others like this.
  7. feldwebel87 Active Member

Yes, it's 110% worth it. While other games get more and more dumbed down, EQ2 still captures what makes an MMO great.
    Juraiya, Cyrrena, Siren and 1 other person like this.
  8. Kittik Well-Known Member

Hey, welcome back. Hope you can find a spot to enjoy yourself. If you go back to a live server and find it as frustrating as I did with all of it's P2W mechanics, you should give Kaladim a try. Unfortunately they still sell exp pots there, but for the most part some of the other P2W mechanics aren't in, or at least aren't being abused.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  9. Crock Member

If you liked the game back few years, maybe. It's still running here and there, on a somewhat slower burning pace. There's die-hard players always going on, and always guilds hungry for any new fodder.
    If you're a new player (are there even any new players for EQ2?), better look for something more populated. Or go on, try it. You'll get behind all there is to get to know about the game, if you're into it, and either like it, or quit like so many other people years ago.
    Cyrrena likes this.