Working Wizard DoV

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by ARCHIVED-Nipit, Oct 27, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Nipit Guest

I just started to get back into PVE the last few weeks and this is my predicament so far: first off I am a casual player that likes to PVP I have not done much PVE content for a long time. Doing DOV instances I found out real fast that my PVP gear was completely inadequate.
    Over the last couple weeks I managed to get a set of Ry’gorr gear with an updated chest piece, I replaced all my weapons and jewelry with instance drops and tofs x2. My current crappy self buffed stats are:
    INT: 3049
    CC: 208.1
    CB: 159.2
    Ability Mod: 106
    Casting Speed: 73.1
    Recovery: 66
    Spell Reuse: 1.3
    Multi attack:10
    Crit Mit: 131.9

The adorns I have currently (I adorn everything despite the fact that I continue to upgrade my gear)
    White adorns:
    Head- int
    Shoulders- int
    Chest- ability mod
    Bracers- int
    Gloves- Power
    Pants- int or cc
    Feet-reuse
    Cloak-Cast speed
    Neck- Int
    Waist- Int
    Ears-ability Power
    Fingers-ability mod
    Wrists- Cast speed
    Charms- int and a proc I cant remember
    Weapon ran, sec: potency

Yellow and red: Crit mit, casting speed

My current AA set up for instances: as you can see my AA’s are not maxed once I get enough I will redo them for SS DPS
    Normal casting order:
    Iceshield on tank
    Asphyxiating Sorcery
    Frigid gift
    Furnas of Ro (if I know where the fight will take place)
    Ice Spears (sometimes Immolation w/aa debuff)
    Hailstorm
    Storming Tempest
    Fiery Blast
    Freehand Catalyst macro
    Fusion, FB or Ice Commet
    Firestorm (if it is safe)
    Thunderclap
    Ball of fire
    I hit Ambidextrous casting whenever it is up

After that I cast what is up in order to DPS efficiency I figured this on the training dummy and in a few instances, (strangely not much has changed as I change / upgrade my gear) and applying damage caused/cast time + recovery time. I cycle in Ray’s and Surge of Ro when everything else is down. When I am not in a zone I continue to banc

Sometimes if there is time I will put on the Talisman of the Ethernauts piece & cast ro’s blade till it procs then switch back to my normal neck. For the 5% reuse and cast time. (This probably doesn’t help much but I get board easy and hate waiting)

Things I am still working on and could use help with (other than learning the zones when and where I can cast Fusion, BOD, Firestorm) when to cast manaburn currently I cast is as the fight is very close to over. I am getting better at timing it so it hits and I don’t go 30 seconds with our power. I know this will change once I get SS and better gear. I do ok on the names compared other wizards and DPS classes I group with. But where I am really lacking according to ACT is the trash mobs my DPS stinks on low hit point (fast killed) mobs.

Are there any items I should be using for proc and what not new or old?

On a side note I have trouble in some zones with my wand auto attack making me face the mob and then leaving me in combat is there a way to turn this off?

I would appreciate any constructive feedback or comments.
  2. ARCHIVED-Atrocious Guest

This is a great write up I used the aa set up and the casting order last night and my DPS went up loads I do have more aa than you any advice on where to put the next 15. Why did you not put 2 points in sagacity. What is Asphyxiating Sorcery . why do you cast FH and cat together?
  3. ARCHIVED-Nipit Guest

Glad to hear it,
    I did not put points in Sag because I haven’t been running out of power, other than when I use Manaburn.
    It is a book you can buy in JW that increases proc rate for a short time. You equip use then unequip.
    The Freehand / Catalyst macro seems to work well together, I am sure there are situations that you done want to use them together but is seems to help my DMG.
    Hopefully I will be spending some time in game this weekend I will update my AA set up once I get a chance.
  4. ARCHIVED-SacDaddy420 Guest

5. ARCHIVED-Atrocious Guest

Sacdaddicus@Guk wrote:
    ? Sac can you elaborate on this.
  6. ARCHIVED-Jeeshman Guest

I could be wrong, but I think the "sigh" was directed at Snached's post, not yours. You did a good job establishing that you've made sincere efforts to work on your gear, casting order and AA's on your own before asking for help, which is what most of the hardcore Wizzies want to see before they put in their 2 cents.
    I'm not a hardcore uber-Wiz like Sac, but I've played one as a main since 2005 so take this for what it's worth. First, you're right to not spec Sagacity. You shouldn't need it these days. I also still use Ambidextrous Casting, but I don't know how many other Wizzies are still doing that (anybody want to chime in?) I can't see anything glaringly wrong with your adorns or cast order. As for AA's, as you probably already know, pick up Sanguine Sacrifice as soon as you humanly can. I'm not sure if speccing the Immolation debuff in the Shadows line is worth it; I'm not seeing a quantifiable difference now that I've switched out of it but YMMV.
    In my opinion, on quick-to-die trash mobs, we're just not as effective as some other dps classes. I don't feel terribly bad if I'm beaten by other classes on something that's only alive for 10 seconds, since most of our heavy-hitters take 4 seconds just to fire off. Named mobs that take a long time to get down are a different story.
    There's something of an art to figuring out how to increase dps once you've got a casting order figured out. It involves knowing how to get into position to fire off Fusion (and Blast of Devastation and Firestorm if you're facing multiple mobs), and how to get those off without aggroing the adds. And knowing the two spells on your hotbar that you can cast while you're running to get into position (especially Thunderclap) so you're still adding to dps while you're getting there. This is why I'm still having fun playing the Wiz after six (!) years--there's never a point where I think, "That's it, that's the best dps result I could possibly get." There's always something to improve.
    There *is* some way to turn auto-turn off, or to turn auto-camera face off so that your entire camera position doesn't change just because you start melee-ing. I just can't remember what it is, and I can't log in right now to check.
    Don't forget about buffs, too! Time Compression from Illies and Upbeat Tempo from Troubs are the blatantly obvious ones, but there are other good ones out there that you might have to request. I often encounter Furies that don't put Lucidity on me until I ask them for it, even though it increases INT by a pretty decent amount (100 points or so I believe).
    Hope some of this helps. (For all I know, now a ton of Wizzies will chime in with "He's all wrong" lol.)
  7. ARCHIVED-meeed Guest

Shaydu@Everfrost wrote:
    VIEW options in the 1st expandable part is where u can turn off auto face and auto rotate