Wood Elf vs. Kerra for Monk?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-dareninger, Jan 22, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Leivantes Guest

And when you dorn LIGHT ARMOR, you get hit harder than you hit.
  2. ARCHIVED-Santsu Guest

Good thing we dont get hit to often. :)

If your a total min/maxer then I think kerran is the best.

I went Human becuase I like a balanced character. Personally I think over doing it on one stat will weaken you in other ways.

Alot of agility is great but if your weak in strength you wont have enough power and you wont do as much damage.

Alot of strength and you get hit alot becuase agility will suffer.

Wisdom effects your spell resistance which can be a tank killer if your not carefull picking mobs or in a good group.

The one thing I have always wondered about is what does stamina do for a monk. I mean if power comes from strength and defense comes from agility what does stamina do? If it effects regen rates then it has value, not as much as strength or agility or even wisdom for that matter but more then intellect at the least.
    Message Edited by Santsu on 01-25-2005 06:05 PM
  3. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Stamina adds HP for every class.
  4. ARCHIVED-Santsu Guest

HeHe Yea I thought about that after I posted. :)

Heres how I see it.

Agility is number one it effects how often we are hit and if you plan on tanking this is very important.

Now if you dont plan on tanking then strength is the most important.

After that its a toss up between strength and stamina for a tanking monk and agility and stamina as a DPS monk

A little thought should go to wisdom but with most armor you will get enough of a wisdom boost without really worring about it.

I like to do both tanking and DPS depending on the situation so for me a balanced set of stats seems to work the best.
  5. ARCHIVED-SMW Guest

The best monks are by far Iksar monks. We are just bloody sexy.
  6. ARCHIVED-grindell187 Guest

i personally have a kerra monk. i am lvl 30 and i have 76str...83agi....and 73sta. i can tank just fine in a group or solo. i can also add dps if not the mt. and i chose kerra because that is the race that i wanted. not from any other reason. i have met people that said...man, you should have made an erudite cause of their power pool. and i tell people like...i made a kerra for me and me alone. plus you have to remember that you get traits and training, but also remember you get stances to help you out in any given situation. for my lvl i use brawlers for tanking and dragon for dps. so just to add to what gage and others have said.....make what YOU want. then tell all the others to F##K off.

grindell

perma-server
  7. ARCHIVED-CatmanPaladin Guest

I made an Erudite, even though the Cats had the better starting stats, it was between those 2 based on looks, and i thought Erudite would be kinda funky and unique. I played to level 6, left the island, went to bed that night and couldn't shake the fact that the cats had about 10 more AGI than me, and really always would, simply because I don't play enough to get the awesome stuff that would make close the gap.

So I got out of bed, deleted him, and made the cat, and I love him even more. Always wanted a catman monk from EQ1, so I got my wish after all.

BTW, if you haven't checked out the monk guide, its pretty handy.

-Ringo
  8. ARCHIVED-Atanvarno Guest

I went ratonga monk... it's my favorite of my four characters.

Karate mouse, basically.

He had dark glasses on, so I RP a blind ratonga monk... very cool and a lot of fun.
  9. ARCHIVED-RioRio Guest

I will chime in to support that race doesn't matter at the highend. EQ2 is an equipment driven game. SOE built EQ2 from the ground up so that whatever choices you made at the start of the game would not **** your character at the end of the game. This is something that SOE stated many times durring the developement of EQ2.

As for me. I was going to be a wood elf-"whatever class" for a year before EQ2 came out. That is the only reason why I picked wood elf. Just because I want to play one. I will say he looks cool swinging those batons around.

:smileyhappy:
  10. ARCHIVED-Azrom Guest

This post appears in every class forum for another. Race does not matter. All races end up essentially = at 50. That being said the best race to be is of course dark elf. Why be any other race when you can be a dark elf. It boggles the mind.
  11. ARCHIVED-Sterlingdrake Guest

Pssh! Ive said it once, Ill say it again folks..dwarven monk! Not only do we look dern sexah in that there Gi thing showing off our manly muscles...but nothin turns on them pretty little bearded dwarven lasses better than me practicin me kata!
    Ahh the life..that reminds me..tis time for anuther ale. Cheers!!
  12. ARCHIVED-Zokaab Guest

I made a Wood Elf monk, just cause I liked how they looked the best...I would have made a Dark Elf monk, but I plan to get a guise of the deceiver :)

If end game is anything like EQ1...which it seemingly is, starting stats arent even worth looking at when making a toon :p
  13. ARCHIVED-Leivantes Guest

Right... exactly why I chose an Erudite monk.

Dorks - if starting stats don't matter, then finishing stats don't matter. It doesn't matter what racial trait you choose... none of that matters.. does it?
  14. ARCHIVED-Bibe Guest

i think the starting stats matter a lot early game.
    seeing that your agil level raises rather slowly, and your stat points as well, 5 points is a lot when expressed as a percentage of 30 points.

however as gage points out, when given a gross agility of 2-400+ 5 points is a drop in the ocean.

imo a wood elf monk will be a better monk in the teens purely on agil difference (given that all else is the same) however, the player makes a huge difference to how a toon is played, so even that statement isnt entirely true.

with a healer in the group, it doesnt really matter anyway.. the major difference i think is the difficulty of the mob you can solo/group without a healer.
  15. ARCHIVED-Ravenmist Guest

I went through all this thinking not long ago.. just made my soon to be Bruiser 2 days ago.. level 15 now, things are going pretty well.

I chose the Cat.. for one, I already had a wood elf.. hehe.. and I like the way the cats look.

Stats did play a part in my decision.. but things where all so close. If you took pure stat points of the 3 things most important to us.. Barbarians have the most. 25/20/25.. Thats pretty awesome. But then i weighed which stats where more important to me.. agility being the most but not far above strength. From what i've read, and see for myself, brawlers use up a lot of power unless you go very conservative. So with that in mind you really can't afford to ditch the str imo. Almost went half elf 17/25/18... but then looking at Kerra's again 22/23/20. Seemed like a better mix to me. Good str to help with power and dps, agi is higher then most, and not that far behind the best.. and good stamina for the extra hp buffer, oh and of course thier wis isn't gimped to nothing which is a nice bonus, 20 isn't bad.

Really tho I chose the Kerra because I liked the darn cat. I'm one of those that won't play a race for its stats if I don't like them.. but if I like a few races about the same the stats are what helps me choose. So far I'm very happy with my choice.. with a shaman partner we can blaze through groups of 4 level 14's with no trouble and with the shaman at about 50% power and me at about 30% at the end of the fight. Can take white double up arrows with little trouble.. and white groups of mobs too, but my power is about out by the end with hers not far behind (mostly from slows and dots). And the fights are over fast, which means I can let the good drink do its job and regen my power and we're killing another group 30 seconds later.

Watching battle spam I see block, block, miss, block, miss, deflect... most the time, get hit very little. The shamans wards typically run out of its timer before running out from damage.. so what more could you want?

This may change as I get a bit higher but so far I'm happy. I'll have to check back in a week when i'm in my 20's.

Really tho, as most have been saying, bottom line is pick first and for most a race that you like. I could never play a troll or a halfling.. just don't like them. Even if their stats where the best of all I still wouldn't play one. Its not worth disliking your character to try and be uber. But if you find yourself torn between 2 races you like, there are a few things to consider. Course at level 50 like they said.. those 7 points make very little difference one way or another.
  16. ARCHIVED-Vandessa Guest

Don't forget Racial bonuses too! I play an Erudite Monk (lvl 28 now) and enjoy the inate ward and power regen abilities She has.

Example: The EL boat ride.

Face of the Mountain, Karmic Focus, Toughness and Ward for the final boss. I go in there and pull agro as the 'sacrifice'. Without the ward I'm torn to shreads. With the ward he tries to toss me like salad and harmtouch me and thanks to 'Mountain' I stay planeted.. thanks to the ward I stay alive long enough for our healers to catch up from the initial pounding (Yes, I tank the EL boatride and yeah, we all live through it. No one in their 30s either)

Its wonderful! I also put my racial points in strength so she has even more power to expend and damage to deal. Who cares about a a few measley 10 points and Agility when the equipment gets you up there to servicable. At Level 50 10 points isnt enough to make that much of a deal.

... But man a level scaling personal ward is the bomb!
  17. ARCHIVED-Coterei Guest

I love my Dark Elf monk. My stats aren't the greatest but it's still a lot of fun to play. I can do everything that I'm supposed to do as a monk, tank when needed, dps when needed. For some reason the last couple days I've always been in the group with another monk lately, (not the same one though,) and I've been parsing a bit here and there to see how I do, and the difference is miniscule. I've been with a Kerran monk, WE monk, and a Barbarian monk, The DPS difference usually seems to come down to who lands swooping dragon first to be honest.

At 22, I'm
    56 STR
    68 AGI
    54 STA ((oops just caught the typo))

Waiting for a couple of drops I've gotten to be usuable then my STR and AGI should jump by about 15 STR and 12 Agi. My stamina will go down about 8 though =(.
    Message Edited by Coterei on 02-01-2005 07:30 AM
  18. ARCHIVED-GangsterFist Guest

Maybe im old school, i dunno

Human monk all the way.

Then again I named my monk after a legendary gung fu master, Wong Fei Hung ;)
  19. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

This is the first MMO I've played where I wasn't human. All of my toons in SWG were human. I liked the Half Elf earrings though.
  20. ARCHIVED-Coterei Guest

Heh, I was tempted to make a half-elf monk just because I love the piercing options they have, but I ended up making a Dark elf, because, well, Dark Elves are just too cool. The White AQ armor looks awesome on my inky black skin, if I get a chance I'll post a screenshot. The betrayal quest was the only pain of being a dark elf monk, took 4 days to finish it because no one wants to help anyone with anything, or even group on Oggok it seems. Well, not completely true, there's a few good apples still on the server, but most the folks seem distant at best. I did wind up making a half-elf scout that is eventually going to be an assassin, I seem to like the DPS role in this game.