Wood Elf vs. Kerra for Monk?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-dareninger, Jan 22, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-dareninger Guest

Has anyone tried both? Just wondering if the increased str and stam in Kerra make up for lost Agi from Wood Elf. Anyone try or group with both?

Thanks

Righteousness/Wisdom/Anointed Butcherblock
  2. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Race doesn't matter at 50.
  3. ARCHIVED-Leivantes Guest

Please don't tell me that stats/skills cap that early...

Before 50. Kerra is better for an offensive Monk, Wood Elf for a defensive Monk. The higher agility helps a LOT early on and mid-levels in evading melee attacks. I re-rolled as a wood elf and could tell a big difference. It's probably also easier to solo as a wood elf monk than kerra for this reason. However, if you're role will be DPS primarily and not assisting in tanking, Kerra would probably be ideal.. The difference between the two is slight - but there is a difference.
  4. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

By the time you are 50 with all the available gear, beginning race doesn't matter.
  5. ARCHIVED-Leivantes Guest

So you're saying that skills - and attributes - cap at.... ? If they don't cap at 50 - why wouldn't it matter?
  6. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Well they don't cap yet because 50 isn't highest lvl intended. With gear and everything else you can easily make up the 10 or so pts that seperate one class from the other. Easily.
  7. ARCHIVED-Leivantes Guest

Right - but there will always be a gap of 10 points or so, assuming gear is identical for the two being compared.
  8. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Why would you assume that though?
  9. ARCHIVED-Leivantes Guest

Oh... I see now. A kerra with better equipment buffs would be equal to a Wood Elf with lower equipment buffs in Agility after level 50... I guess I was assuming the wrong thing ;)
  10. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Well there is lots of items to choose from and sure if they both maxed agility the wood elf would be higher, but so would a ratonga and eventually a froglok.
  11. ARCHIVED-Leivantes Guest

You just like to argue. Anyway - hopefully I answered the question in the title in my first reply.
  12. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

No, I just hate to see someone pick a specific race when in the end game it doesn't matter. Pick what you like.
  13. ARCHIVED-Leivantes Guest

So at what point does 10 agility stop mattering?

I never played EQ1 so consider myself a noob still... but so far, at level 38, I have been able to tell a slight difference between myself and Monks of other races with lower agility/higher strength. I can tank more effectively - solo a bit easier, but deal slightly less damage.

Also
  14. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

True, it does. But at the same token so does every trait. But in the end game, where 200+ agility buffed is the norm, 10agi isn't a big enough difference to pick a race you don't like imho.
  15. ARCHIVED-Auhal Guest

I play a Kerra, and at lvl 23 I have 72 agi unbuffed. Doesn't seem to bad to me - and I have got crappy jewelery at the moment. I have around 50 strength as well I think and seem to do ok in a tanking role.

To be honest though, stats aren't that important to me, I just picked the race I liked.
  16. ARCHIVED-Leivantes Guest

Wood Elf vs. Kerra for Monk?

I've parsed both. As a Wood Elf, I do slightly less damage in my attacks (by about 5%) than an equal level Kerra Monk.

As a Wood Elf, I take slightly less damage as a tank than an equal level Kerra Monk.

So it really matters what you want to do with your Monk. Again, it's a little easier to solo (I'm talking about before stats are capped and everyone's equal) with higher agility, but DPS roles do better for the Kerra.
  17. ARCHIVED-TunaBoo Guest

Race does matter skinny boy, your racial traits can give tons of agi or hp to certain races... if you think an ogre/ratonga/gnome/elf monk all play out the exact same at 50, I will beat you on the dead with a shield ;p
  18. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

<3

Awww Tuna you big teddy bear of an Ogre guardian ;p

True racial traits to matter somewhat, but as a half-elf I received a lot of agility/str/hp/sta ones, so I guess I assumed all classes do.
  19. ARCHIVED-Leivantes Guest

Ohh.... You're a half-elf.... that explains it...
  20. ARCHIVED-Larathyn Guest

In the end, if you believe (through whatever method, parsing, feel, whatever....) that there is a certain race that makes a better monk than another, be that race. Period. If that is what matters to you, then you will be making yourself happy. Even if the difference is trivial, if the difference exists (again through whatever reasoning you want to use) and that is important to your concept, groovy, go for it. I could care less about racial differences, and I'm happy with my choice. Its a game, play as you see fit, and be happy ... otherwise what's the point of playing a game. :)