Wonder why your Hierophant's Crook doesn't proc as often as it should?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Winnoe, Mar 8, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Winnoe Guest

Good Day my fellow monks.

I've been in possession of this information for a while now, and I'm sure some of you know it, some of you don't but for the benefit of the monk community, let me just state it for ya.

Your proc rate on any given weapon, is based on the %age chance that your weapon will proc within a 4.0 second block.

Confused? Let me give an example...

Candy Cane of Striped Death (not a real weapon of course)
    1hb
    5% chance to cast Diabetic Impairment
    attack speed: 2.0spd

I'm sure some of you who do use proccing weapons, know that it doesn't proc at the advertised amount.

The actual proc rate of the Candy Cane is 5% x 2.0/4.0 = 2.5% to proc per hit.

Now, if the weapon was the 2handed version....

Candy Bo Staff of Sugary Death
    2hb
    5% chance to cast Diabetic Impairment
    attack speed: 2.0spd

The actual proc rate of the Candy Bo Staff would be (5% x 2.0/4.0) x 1.5 = (2.5%) x 1.5 = 3.75%

Why the 1.5 multiplier at the end, you might ask? That's because you are using a 2-handed weapon.

The reason for this proc rate based on static 4.0 and multiplier for 2-handed weapons is to reduce the gap between a proccing 1.2spd weapon (Short Sword of Ykesha) and a 3.8 spd great flail (<insert name here> :p ). Otherwise, most people would be choosing fast proccing weapons, and thus not make it fair to people who prefer using slow hard hitters.

Of course, some of you argue that it is all probability and all that jazz, but if you take a large sample you will realise that the figures do indeed tally up.

Naturally, if someone proves me wrong and posts logs etc etc etc, i will welcome all dissent with open arms.

um... yeah that's all. :)

Happy Proccing!

p.s. It occured to me that some people might not know what "proc" means. It's a term popular in EQ, which was a short form of Process, which means to activate the weapon's passive effect.
  2. ARCHIVED-HL1240 Guest

Wheres me 2gp.. argg argg.. :smileytongue:

Hey Winnoe, Thanks for the info and being that your mentioning proccing weapons.. Any time you want to go solo Coldtooth for me and have a rare Mace of the lifebringer drop I will be glad to test it out for ya.
  3. ARCHIVED-Harpax Guest

Great info Winnoe... just one thing... "proc" is not short for "Process", its an acronym from MUD's that means "Programmed Randomness Of Casting". :)
  4. ARCHIVED-Jezekiell Guest

Interesting information Winnoe, while at the same time a bit disepointing.
  5. ARCHIVED-RadricTycho Guest

Actually I think it is just short for "procedure" which in turn was short for "special_procedure" which was the term used in MUD programming for any player triggered event. Special procedures could be assigned to objects or creatures or rooms in MUDs. And when a player did anything at all in the presence of objects that had special procedures, the special procedure function was called.
    In programming MUDs special procedures were the bane of my existence. Each special procedure had to be written EXTREMELY efficiently. If the procedure had no chance to fire its action, it should return as quickly as possible. A poorly written special procedure that was assigned to a room that was frequented by many people could bring down the MUD. Every chat, combat action, movement, and typed command, done by every person in the presence of that object or room, would call that function.
    One of my first tasks during conversion of a MUD from C to C++ was to revamp the whole concept of special procedures into a more simplified event system. OnCommandTyped(), OnMovement(), OnCombatHit() and so on. That way special procedures could be assigned to go off only when those events occured rather than constantly.
    Hmm I bet none of you really cared about all of that... sorry. :p
  6. ARCHIVED-RafaelSmith Guest

Interesting. I kinda thought something like this was in fact how procs worked.

Curious, are 1h and DW weapons treated the same or is there some other modifier applied with DW?
  7. ARCHIVED-Harpax Guest

Probably depends on the type of MUD it was. special_procedure's that i was familiar with were called sp's. :)

regardless, still a pretty cool bit of background knowledge how much of these games we enjoy today evolved from text based stuff :)