Wizards- Why am I being out damaged by all scout classes, and other mages?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by FieryCleric, Mar 4, 2013.

1. FieryCleric New Member

Hello,

I rolled a wizard with the understanding that I would be a Tier 1 DPS class that raids/groups would actually want. I have found over the past few months that I am being outclassed by beastlords, assasins, necro's, conjurer's, swashbucklers, etc. What has happened to this class that made it so bad post 90? I am confused and somewhat regret rolling a wizard in the first place.

Can anyone shed some light on why I'm at best a Tier 3 DPS class with nothing else to offer the group but damage?
  2. Luhai Active Member

Just because you rolled a class that is considered T1 DPS by alot of people doesn't mean that you're automatically going to BE T1 DPS.
    Since you didnt' provide any details I can only guess that you're lacking one or more of the following: decent gear, a good AA choice, skill, experience.
    A capable wizard is not going to be outclassed by a summoner or swashbuckler as long as we're not talking about AOE encounters.
    Neiloch likes this.
  3. Gandolph Member

eh, he who gets the buffs( bolster,EV, links, TC , etc ) WINS !
    Kraeref likes this.
  4. Chronus Active Member

If we assume for a moment equal gear and skill: It'll be buffs as Gandolph said, this is likely the case with all other sorcerers, summoners (yes btw they are t1 now despite many people's views, dem pet procs especially help), beastlords and predators. You should beat rogues by a ways still though.

Seeing as you are losing to swashbucklers we have to assume you don't play the class well, so check out some top wizards aa specs, read the threads on flames (even those on page 2!) and generally try to improve how you do. And of course make sure you're adorned correctly and have masters for all spells but dumbfires and useless ones like solar flare etc.
  5. FieryCleric New Member

I'd love to see some of your DPS charts please.
  6. Chronus Active Member

We currently don't run a wizard so I can't show you mine. But I'd direct you to the Wizard parse thread on eq2flames to see multiple parses from the wizards in Equilibrium and Shoukin just to disprove the general point that wizards are T3 dps as you put it.
  7. Peeler New Member

8. Plavem Active Member

Flames doesn't like me and thats fine.

But from what I seem we scale better at end game then they do. The parses are great if you are fully pow geared but aren't very accurate on other gear.

People are quick to say other people are bad, but here is what I have noticed. If conj, wizard, and beastlord are all in the drinal gear... on a single target with max buffs then the dps will look like this. Beast, Conj, Wizard.

However if people are equally geared in Harrows End / Sleepers tomb gear. The parse may be a little different. I have noticed that since i started getting some raid gear my numbers have steadily been increasing.

Though Im not there yet it would appear from eq2 flames parses that avatar / pow geared wizards can top the chart. Over all other classes.

If those 3 statements are true, then that means the later gear you are getting helps you to scale past the beastlords conj, ***. etc. But again it has just been what I have noticed.

Your rotation doesn't really matter, as long as you pop all your biggest spells during fiery blast without any interruptions. After that its pretty much pop stuff on cool down, like Chronus said don't use solar flare or dumb fire pets, immolation, etc.

Other than that, know the encounters. This will help you be able to time when is a good time to use FB. Also you may want to invest in the good food, as well and the int pots, and the increase mana pots. You also need to coordinate time warps wiith the illy, some illy's are bad and just pop it without a single care that you don't have a single hard hitting ability up.
  9. Daray Well-Known Member

This is pretty accurate, but only to a certain degree - some classes do get more use out of some buffs than others when you dig down into the numbers (e.g. summoners not able to pet-stat-share EV, or bolster on the source of group damage proc(s) also effectively bolstering the destinations of that group proc amount).

Back on topic though, and whichever way you look at it, sorcerers do need certain buffs to remain competitive, so you will be limited without them. From a class perspective though (and without going into too many details), keep in mind that timing and positioning are everything as a wizard.
  10. Magic Missiles Active Member

Group with a warlock and your dps will shine.
  11. Zarchos Member

I have found this to be true, when I'm grouped with the correct people my damage gets significantly better. But more on the OP comments, I can't come close to an assassin or beastlord's DPS output right now, it's not even close. Mind you, my gear isn't what Daray's Meednite, or anyone elses over at EQ2flames, I'd be embarrassed to post my parses as I would be laughed at.

http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/442384036972

(This is my current build)

Daray can you actually outparse assassin's and beastlords with equal gear?
  12. Zarchos Member

Pure ignorance here, what does a warlock do for our DPS?
  13. Yavist New Member

Well I think the implied intentions behind this comment was that Wizard's DPS looks great compared to a Warlock. Please don't assume somebody is ignorant because you don't understand what they are implying.
  14. Zarchos Member

I'm the one who is ignorant, not him.
  15. Lempo Well-Known Member

Ignorance can be fixed, the fact that you had to explain your point is another matter entirely.
  16. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Amazing the difference that the absence or presence of a preceding t can make (if one doesn't pay attention)*.

* I'm agreeing with you, btw. Just noting that there is a bit of difference between "Pure ignorance here" and "Pure ignorance there", and someone either didn't realize that there was a difference or didn't pay attention to what was posted. That person was, of course, not you.
  17. Le Clown Active Member

Encounters favor classes period. There is no doubt two equally competent, geared, unbuffed wiz/bl/sin combo will favor scouts in ST encounters, the more you drift away from that the favor will follow assuming location location location (yes that's a reference to fusion/BoD/FB, but that brings up encounter length)

your problems are many:

1) adornments: i highly doubt in your current gear you've zoned into DCx4. get those CC adorns replaced immediately.
    2) gear: look @ your 1h and earring (ethereal), huge and expensive conflict. Also, Archmagus > all cloaks.
    3) sorcerer tree: figure it out and re-adorn wrists accordingly.
    4) spell reuse + total reuse = total reuse for mages. i.e. if total > 100%, gt-fo.

-clown
  18. Zarchos Member

Thanks for the tips, and no absolutely not I've been to DCX4, which adornments do you suggest I replace my critical chance ones with?
  19. Lempo Well-Known Member

I would leave the white ones on your cloak, there really is no good options there, and having those on will make it easier to get to a specific crit chance number. Not necessarily a need for immediate replacement for you, depending on what opportunities you have for getting gear I'd advise you to get an alternate piece or two say if you could get another hands and head put crit bonus/potency on those instead of crit chance, even if it is the same piece it being lore equip you can have 2 of them on for DPS and one to meet the CC requirements for zones.
    On your cloak you can put casting speed, but you are at 99.14% and in a group you should be over 100 easily. Being over-cap in casting speed gives a slight bonus to spell double attack, but it is very negligible. Of course I guess in the true spirit of 'min-maxing' you should put casting speed, if you get into a zone where you are only critting 95% of the time the DPS lost is going to be far greater than the extra 0.12% SDA that 12% extra cast speed would get you.
    You can look at my adorns http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/476741764829 if you can transmute and make adorns or at least transmute then I would tell you to save those things 10 infusions makes a mana, get nything and everything you can adorned with superior adorns, it doesn't have to be all at once but it will make a big enough difference for you to see and appreciate as you get more and more done.
    Zarchos likes this.
  20. Zarchos Member

Thank you, your equipment is really stellar.