Wizards need a boost.

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Schro, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Daray Well-Known Member

Summoners are pretty straight forward to play. Sorcerers tend to require more thought on the rotation and timing side of things. That's why most people see the average summoner outperforming the average sorcerer, even though sorcerers have the higher potential (wizard by a small margin, warlock by a larger).
    Foretold likes this.
  2. Lare Active Member

I don't think a illustration of a mass pull and burning on a EM name as a good example at a loc being OP.

Loc's have always out performed most classes in AOE fights, back in the day it could be as much as x4 times, only until I' m guessing 3 or 4 years back wizards caught up and where the dominate class. So yes swings and aroundabouts

FC is nice on those pulls for sure and you get a nice spike but you said it yourself locs can maintain it over a decent amount of time. Because 50m of the 200m parse comes from eternal damnation and add all those resets with the new ethereal its so easy to rebuild increments over and over even if FC doesn't reset.

Without FC a locs dps equates to that of a bard on single targets or even with 2 or 3 mobs its only when u get a large amount of mobs does things like ED kick in.

And if locs are so dominant how does a conjy or yourself top the parse on some names fights? Is face that bad ;)
  3. Daray Well-Known Member

The majority of fights (at least for us) are 30-60s burn fights, and sure, warlocks are entirely dominant on those regardless of the encounter scenario (barring the occasional 100m+ VCs in another group and assuming precharged increments). It's just the nature of FC values and the removal of cooldown as a contributing factor. Those particular scenario illustrations were just to highlight the areas that warlocks excel particularly well in and wasn't the primary focus of that post - that being that warlocks do have a higher potential ceiling across the board, regardless of encounter makeup or duration. And again, I use the word 'ceiling' as a way of conveniently bypassing any gear, skill, buff, etc disparities that often lead people into bickering about class balance based on their own small sample sizes.

Most of our raids are shorthanded affairs these days, and we take it in turns to ride in the bardless/chanterless shortbus group. Know any good troubs and illies btw? I might as well use this is a recruitment plug: also recruiting warlock/summoner and some other stuff...
    Neiloch likes this.
  4. Lare Active Member

Face would know all the players I would on Oasis I'm sure he is looking out for one there for you. Sadly my play time is in the wee wee hours when most of you are fast asleep in bed.
  5. wazul Active Member

DEV Focused Feedback - Mages , etherals bugs (one above and others....), earing double cast, etc.....

nobody in dev team for listen or respond. eq2 is like vanguard. 5 word in little patch note, but nobody take one minute for explain plan in future about major or minor bug or about topic like focused feedback.

i not want play in TLE. and nothing to read for me now.
    Beee likes this.
  6. Blade Parker Active Member

Too many people try to base this on end game, fully loaded character. The damage stats need to scale throughout all levels. I think in general, wizards could use a dps boost.
  7. Lare Active Member

Why do you assume we are all end game. or that we don't run others toons in other guilds that don't even come close to end game.

I have raided on really under geared mages where skill determines the parse over class or in fact gear level.

Deray's was actually expressing his incorrect opinion that "warlocks do have a higher potential ceiling across the board, regardless of encounter makeup or duration" which actually covers all levels"

Would be interested to see when the lock and conj is in their mage grp does the conjy ever win the parse?

I have seen parses that suggest it happens which kinda proves my point.
  8. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Unless I am mistaken - the only case when warlock can pull on top on single target if warlock have raid version of epic weapon (which convert all AoE in single target with +30% bonus to damage)
  9. Daray Well-Known Member

Some of you are starting to talk cross-purposes, as the majority of posts in this thread have been about level 100 play. The game and class balance will be quite different on level-locked servers where many classes are yet to gain access to certain of their key abilities around which endgame balance was later built. As for how far class balance can be achieved on the TLE servers, the answer is probably not a whole lot because anything that gets changed there would likely have to have its endgame implications also weighed up. Remember, all you really got was a server with a bunch of stuff turned off.
    Livejazz, Neiloch and Azian like this.
  10. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

This ^
  11. Nero Active Member

Ok so just my 2 cents (but they are in some foreign currency so they're not worth even that).

I hail from Permafrost, so no we aren't especially know for our raid wide DPS, but non the less, I feel like I can still contribute something. From my personal experience, and the guild i currently raid with, our #1 DPS is a conjy, and not by a little bit, she sits on top of the list by an easy 30-40% margin, especially on single target encounters. For example, we are currently working on the Ritualist Vilandre (Last Ossuary mob) and the few runs that we had looked something like this: Conjy: 27M, Lock (Me): 20M, Assasin/necro/wiz: 15M and down.

On the other hand, when we pull all of the trash in temple, I hit close to 50M, and easily sit at the top of that list if I can just stay alive and don't lag out from all the pew pew happening around me.

Now reading some of the coments on here, it looks like some of you are fricking pros at killing stuff, and i'm not gonna lie, i've spent weeks reading strats, hitting the dummy, working on my rotation, doing research, and I have no clue how some of you locks hit the numbers that you do. I mean honestly, the 20M I posted above is probably one of my better single target pares.

Having said all of that, since so many of you here are pros, I need some of your help to crank out more DPS. I made a topic of Flames about it, but apparently the Warlock section there is dead, so I made one here too. Seriously, please stop by and offer your imput, I'm sure I wouldnt be the only person to find the info useful.

Link to my desperate plea for help: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...lock-its-true-inner-pew-pew-potential.563331/
  12. Allabreve Active Member

Are you willing to accept other evidence?

Back in March, Katanallama posted some EQ Census statistics showing how many members of each class had been flagged for defeating end-game raid bosses. It was pretty clear that warlocks and wizards were being taken on more raids than conjurers and necromancers. For the most elite three raid bosses, the difference was particularly pronounced.

Unless you have some reason to believe that sorcerers are collectively better geared than summoners, that suggests that on average, sorcerers will slightly out-dps summoners ... with considerable variance on an individual basis for gear, player skill, etc. (And I'm pretty sure that sorcerers aren't getting more invites than summoners due to superior utility.)

Enchanters are in a different class than other mages. It was pretty clear that raids treated utility (enchanters/bards) as being a separate group from dps.
    Livejazz likes this.
  13. Anunnaki Active Member

The reasoning behind that is the pure DPS potential for sorcerers is higher. Dont be bad and argue that it isn't. So at the extreme high end of raiding, when skill discrepancy isn't as pronounced, guilds will prefer sorcs. The guilds at the middle of the pack or lower will prefer summoners, as they go pew pew pew without as much skill necessary.

Also, the toons that "get invites" these days has more to do with population (meaning lack of) and not being a ton of other options.
  14. Schro New Member

So lets do some exercises. You wizards and people that say the class is fine as is... Lets talk shop.

What is your fiery blast line-up for both single target and AoE encounters?

How do you gain your increments with a lack of trash mobs?

What is your philosophy when it comes to gearing your toons, specifically charms?

What is your rotation like when you are waiting for Fiery Blast to come off cool down?

Are there any "must have" items that drastically change the output of the class?

I rolled and now main a conjy because I felt like I wasn't contributing much to my friends and guild as a wizard. Honestly, I'd rather be a wizard. There is an underwhelming amount of information available to players in the form of guides that is current. Let's help each other out. We rolled sorcerer because we like blowing stuff up. Help me blow stuff up.
  15. Schro New Member

Also, can we not base this on any content higher than pools or no quarter? Most players will never advance beyond that.
  16. Lare Active Member

I think you would be better to say no gear from AoM or Avatar loot tbh.
  17. SacDaddy420 Active Member

I love these kind of threads.

/hi derey.
  18. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Wizards are fine. Warlock>Assassin>Summoners>fury>ranger>brig.
  19. Koko Well-Known Member

Greatly depends on encounter duration.
    Cast spells and likely lose to an assassin, which is fine, warlocks also lose ST to a decent assassin.
    Dead Men Tell no Tales + Kerafrym's Rites II, just like every other character ever.
    Greatly depends on encounter duration.
    Aforementioned charms, ethereals, most jewelry, RC belt & fabled cloak, just like every other character ever.
    Livejazz likes this.
  20. Luzionist Active Member

Flames is not used like it used to be but it would be nice to see a forum with each name encounter (raid) and parses bieng posted on these