Wizards need a boost.

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Schro, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Schro New Member

If you are a wizard, you often feel like this...

when you should feel like...

Wizards bring little or no utility to a group unlike their other mage counterparts. That being said, we should be the masters of DPS. As a conjurer I can literally bang my keyboard on the desk and do more damage than I can on my wizard. I am pretty sure that there are things I could do differently on my wizard to increase my DPS, and my gear certainly leaves much to be desired, but I think at equal gear levels, my wizard should always out damage my conjurer. I have never played a necro at max level, so I can't speak about them but I do see them regularly out damage me on a regular basis. Enchanters bring a lot of utility to the table and I don't feel like they are hurting at all. In all honesty, what incentive do I have to even play a wizard? Summoners are much easier to play and require a lot less micromanagement. Sure, portals are cool, but with guild houses and amenities transportation isn't a good enough reason to choose one class over another. I can give a tank 3% of my hate? Umm.... yeah.

One thing stands out to me as odd...

Blazing Avatar has a chance to reset Elemental Blast (A conjurer's most lethal ability in my opinion). It hits for a massive amount of damage. Eci has a chance to reset Fusion. Fusion, don't get me wrong, is a great spell. It has a long cast time, but it does a lot of damage. Elemental Blast is instant cast. In my opinion Eci should have a chance to reset Fiery Blast. This one simple change would elevate the class immensely. It almost seems as if this is what should have been, but was applied to the wrong spell by accident.

Considering that wizards have to try to line up the cooldowns to really get the most of out Fiery Blast, I don't think that the occasional freebie Fiery Blast with whatever spells are up would make us overpowered in the least bit. I think it would just make the class easier to shine with line other mages.
    Blade Parker likes this.
  2. Antisocial Member

Got my wizard to level 10 and came to the same conclusions so I rerolled as a froglok woodworker.
  3. Strac Active Member

First of all, you can't throw all mages into same pot. There's summoners ( Conjuror and Necromancer), Sorcerors ( wizard/warlock) and Enchanters (Illusionist/Coercer).

Second of all, Summoners have no chance to compete with sorcerors whatsoever. If you summoner does more dps then your wizard, there's either a gear discrepancy or you lack the knowledge/skill to play Wizard properly.

That said, both wizards and summoners dish out the most dps of any class currently, with the mellee counterparts Predators (Assassin/Ranger) having no chance to keep up in the slightest.

The most complaining done from sorcerors is comparing warlock and wizard and the envy wizards have over Warlocks' Focused Casting ability, mainly because Wizards have no such source of massive CB boost. Personally i think the sorcerors have no reason to complain at all, being so far ahead dps wise compared to everyone else.

Having a Predator afk for a raid is by far less problematic then having a sorceror missing atm.
  4. Foretold Well-Known Member

If your conjuror is regularly outparsing your wizard, you're wizarding wrong. Sorcerors aren't supposed to bring a ton of utility to the raid, they're supposed to bring the big kaboom. And they do, if played right.
  5. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Really? Parses shows differently ... top of the food chain always necro .. bottom of T1 sorcs warlocks and wizards with illy not far behind... Only top geared warlocks on AoE fights can push above necros...
    I do not agree with original poster either thou - each DPS class should have area where they shine most (like in EQ) - any endurance fight necro (and their melee counterpart - sins), any burst/short duration fights - yes wizard should be on the top but with his melee counterpart ranger ... on either encounter mages/predators should come second... On AoE fights - warlocks should be top the food chain no question asked...DPS of second tier should be on pair - like for monks, zerks, enchnaters
  6. Foretold Well-Known Member

Wha??? Sorcerers at the bottom of T1 ?? Just above illy??? Really???

In our raids, it is always assassins and sorcerors at the top of the list, always. On AoE fights, warlocks, and our freakishly good assassin Bord, always top the parse. And by a HUUUUUUUUUGE margin. It's almost embarrassing how good warlocks are AoE. We are talking assassin/warlocks/wizards at 80 million plus, and the next place on the parse has about 40 million... so yeah, not sure what's going on with your parses.
  7. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Omg Strac what game have you been playing?? Preds can't keep up with Sorcs? Not only can they but they can do it with lesser gear and lesser focus! Wizards do need a boost, clearly the ppl saying they don't haven't played one in AoM. First I played lock, wich Is a very potent dps class BUT VERY aggravating because of how fragile your dps is, if a tank can't hold aggro, if a person goes afk before named, if tank dont pull many mobs at once etc etc you aren't going to look very cool. I then betrayed wizard wich had the same problem just a lot less overall dps potential but I love wizards so I stuck with it for a while, I wasn't bad at it, I just wasn't always the best in grps and the increments started to piss me off again especially when rumcellar was released wich had basically no trash u had to fight so you could charge your increments, and all the nameds you had to kill in there didn't have adds either. I then decided to get on my Sin from ToV, lvl him to 100 and betray Ranger. Now I had a brand new lvl 100 ranger, a class I hadn't played above lvl 30 before, put sum gear on him and started pwning almost everyone and everything I grped. Locks couldn't touch me in AoE. I know that this is because of many factors, lack of good locks is one of em. I started getting curious on Sin so I betrayed back and ranger suddenly looked very weak. Scariest thing Is that it's so damn easy to constantly own on a sin. With double conversion spec you never have to stealth Cept for hitting ambush often but that Is done with with 0.5ish CA hit AND you still keep the benefit of having your quick attack with super low CD resetting one of your strongest attacks.

Point is, having played all of the T1s in AoM, and i do my research and I learn to play the classes, I ask experts of the classes for help and advice such as Mogrim for example. And I cannot see any of those classes reaching the overall dps potential of the Sin right now! And least of them wizards!
  8. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Warlocks > Broken Assassin Hemo > Wizards > Assassins > Ranger > Summoners.

Wizards are fine in their place. Yes warlocks are a distance ahead, but everyone knows that by now.

Anybody who thinks Summoners are ahead of Sorcerors is clearly either playing only on TLE, or has really bad sorcerors.
    Livejazz and Gillymann like this.
  9. Darkint New Member

The only issue i have playing wizard is if target dies before Fiery Blast hits.
    Happens sometimes on big ae pulls.
    BUT i would like a upgrade on Manaburn, cant rly see any reason to cast.
  10. Anunnaki Active Member

A.) EB is not a conjys best ability, all things considered.
    B.) EB does NOT instant cast.
    C.) EB is a pet cast skill, so it doesnt benefit from all of the summoners stats (things like casting skill for example.) (This is actually an issue for everything the pet casts, which can be a significant portion of a summoners damage, an issue that doesn't affect any Sorc.)
    D.) Fiery Blast is exponentially more powerful than EB, and comparing the two is literally insanity.

I could even argue that a Wizzy gets more utility than a Conjy AND has the potential to do more damage. If everything is equal (gear, group, buffs, etc) and your conjy is outparsing your wizard, you are wizarding wrong. You can't balance a class around the inability of the average player to understand it.
  11. Eles Well-Known Member

Hahaha!

[IMG]
    I have meet some wizards and I personally belief that they really invest in knowing their class. They are really good in heroics and can do well in raids. They focus on single targets, etc they can aoe too. Warlocks on their other hand are masters of AoE but honestly they are just wizards who can't aim :p

Also wizards/warlocks are more dependable from buffs, temps, like having a illusionist for TimeWarp and TC or EV. Also having a Troub will buff the mage team.

Also being a sorcerer at lvl 10 is not the same being at lvl 100. Also remember you need skills and then good gear to outparse. It's not the same using handcrafted gear vs fabled/raid gear.

[IMG]
  12. Fizzles New Member

Warlock then wizard then conj/necro for end game mage zw dps
  13. Fizzles New Member

You can cancel maintained fiery blast if u have to
  14. Strac Active Member

got both warlock and assassin, both since ruins of kunark ( lvl 80 cap), so /shrug.

This goes for predators as well. You peel aggro on named, you die. It's also not always the tanks' fault you know. Learn how the tanks generate aggro and you will know better how to start out fights. Unless you're talking about heroic content. If so, we're not on the same page to begin with.

Aha ok, so you are referring to heroic content. Well yes, most of the nameds die so fast that a sorc can't really shine as much, especially if 180 triggers aren't built up pre engaging. On raid fights where a fight can take 10 - 20 min easily, things start to look a lot worse for the gun blazing heroic predators, desperatley counting the second for conceal/PFT and temps to align again for another dps burst. all the while the sorcerors are building up 180 triggers every 10 sec on AE fights and unleashing hell non stop.

Again, it looks like we are not talking about the same things here. your toons are in heroic gear, and you talk about grouping. I'm talking about the higher end raiding, up to avatars. Perhaps our predators are super bad, and/or our sorcerors the "créme de la créme", but both ranger and assassin barely break 30 - 40mio on AE fights, while the sorcs do up to 100mio dps. on long fights with lots of running and jousting, the ranger can top parse, but if you break the numbers down, when 90% of your dmg output comes from autoattack/hemotoxin/VC & other procs and only 10% from actually casted combat arts, it's not really about skill but outright ******** and broken mechanics.

When a sorceror can stand still and run a solid spell rotation, they pulverize predators, with actual skill involved.

Now i'm sure someone will bring up the top dog of assassins who runs incredible dps numbers, and hey, all the power to the guy. But anomalies happens, and from what i have seen in raid content up to avatars, predators can't seem to keep up at all.
    Even rogues are getting close to predators actually, or at least brigand, haven't seen a raiding swashi in a while.
    Eles likes this.
  15. Lare Active Member

Kinda feel sad for Deray's then when he gets beat by the conjy in his guild. Classes are more balanced then they have been for a while with certain fights certain classes do better.

and strac even think your numbers are a bit low its not hard to see our illies and coercer hit over 100m on those big aoe fights.
  16. Rondo9 Active Member

I would like to see some parses to back some of these claims that wizards are as good as yous think they are?
  17. Daray Well-Known Member

This guy pretty much has it figured out. It's not a matter of boosting wizards, but reigning in warlocks (FC) and assassin's (broken hemo). Warlocks are pretty obvious and then often skewed even further by the short duration of most fights (addressing the CB modifier value on FC would be a simple fix and will probably have to happen at some point).
    Neiloch likes this.
  18. Rondo9 Active Member

You would say this is true for both AE and ST fights?
  19. Daray Well-Known Member

If you are comparing warlocks to wizards (and the rest), sure, they have a higher ceiling across the board - although there are certain fight types that they particularly excel at. Those being shorter multi-target (/linked) burn fights with precharged increments (though both sorcerers benefit from precharging), and I use the word 'ceiling' because there are many factors that contribute heavily to dps (some beyond your direct control). I suppose if I had to illustrate this with examples, you wouldn't really need to look any further than certain RC raid encounters (we usually pull named with all the trash surrounding them) where our warlock has sustained 200m+ and near doubled the rest of the leading pack.

This isn't something you'll really see me fussing about, because I actually enjoy playing my class for the most part (or more specifically I enjoy the way the class plays). Most wizards I knew, have either betrayed or moved on to other classes (/games), which is their choice. I don't blame them. For those that understand combat mechanics, the source of the discrepancies is pretty easy to narrow down (FB provides about a third of the spike value that FC does on a per cast basis, though with half the cooldown and no reset potential). It'll probably get looked into at some point, I suspect, or maybe they'll just continue adding the same abilitiy sets to multiple classes with the new content (such that everyone keeps seeing close to the same relative gains). Typically it is swings and roundabouts though.
  20. Rondo9 Active Member

I have a lot of people on my back about betraying to a warlock but I really enjoy the wizard class like yourself, I wish it was my main raiding toon. Up until a few weeks ago I thought sorcerers got the short end of the stick with AOM and they had become second to assassin's and summoner's, mainly due to the fact that our warlock is out parsed by them now but we wont get that though.