Wizards compete with summoner post gu66?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Jayse, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Illuminator New Member

Wizards have no split hate gain, no solo tanking ability, no duplication of procs during group buffs like Frigid Gift or Perfection of the Maestro or Stampede of the Herd or w/e the heck else is up and running. And that's before we get to the base power of the spells themselves.
  2. Thalador Active Member

They never run out of power? I wouldn't go that far, but Lich does do awesome stuff... Till the upcoming nerf
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

CoH is more useful than you think. Not everyone has a Call of the Tinker, and CoV is usually down, so being able to CoH the healer who misstepped and fell three stories is a real time saver.

And, let me tell ya, there are plenty of raid fights in which we all need our hearts, shards, Manastone, Overclocked Mana Stone, Signets of Greater Replenishment, and so on. I often hit Sacrifice to trickle some power to my group (I have the AA spec where it doesn't stun my pet). We are not great mana batteries, but even the little bit of help we can provide is a benefit.

Plus, right now, with AA I have an arcane and elemental cure, and I use those puppies to bail out the healer if they get those DOTs and can't cast. With the expansion, all mages are supposed to be able to spec for a robust "cure everything except curses on a single target", which will be even MORE useful for saving your healer.
  4. Mae- Well-Known Member

I can't believe you guys are talking about utility of conjys and no one mentions the stoneskins. Come on people. Preventing damage altogether is way better than trying to heal it.
    Illuminator likes this.
  5. Akina_Storms Active Member

Stone SKins?
    the ones for us? for the pet?
    or the one which you have to be specced for and can be up if the dirge one is up?
  6. Nayen Member

Ok, here are the stoneskins:

1. The personal one, stoneskin, is our emergency detaunt. It absorbs 3 hits and is on a 5 min base recast. Our stone skin is the equivalent of the wizard emergency ward, the warlock insane mit/avoidance buff ( the maintained buff that procs when they drop below 40% health) and the necromancer's feign death spell ( the best emergency spell in my opinion).

2.Our AA buff, Stoneskins, provides a 3 trigger stone skin for the group. The problem with this spell is it only works if the damage is 50% or less than your max hp and it has a 2 sec base cast. From my experience the only time I normally need to use a stone skin is if the damage I am going to take is greater than 50% of my health and is going to kill me. Not to mention that when I need a castable stoneskin I need it instantly and not 1 to 2 secs later.

3. Our other group stoneskin, Runes of Geomancy, has a 16% to proc a stone skin when hit with a melee attack. Once the buff procs it lasts 30 secs and absorbs the NEXT hit. This is nice for the tank but as for the rest of the group its 97% useless especially in raids where we are normally in the mage group where there are no tanks. You can get hit by a melee ae and hope to survive and absorb the next one if it hits in time and if it is melee based...
  7. Loldawg Member

wizzies are fine and definitely competitive. conj stoneskins mean nothing when there are a constant barrage of tiny hits, the only one that's worth anything is our self stoneskin which must be timed perfectly.
  8. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Sounds like they should probably change it to where it lasts until __% of max health is taken in damage by the stoneskin (whether by a single attack or several lesser attacks) or until __ amount of time expires elapses. (Where the __ represents a number decided upon by somebody other than me. :D )

(Edit: Replaced expires with elapses.)
  9. Wuzzy New Member

Well. Wiz still have a good shot to top the parse if buffed right. The potential of ie Timewarp during the "recording"fase of Fieryblast is huge. But very few Illys take it to consideration that its only a 5sec span that has to be timed perfect and as long as Timewarp is on a slightly faster kooldown than FieryBlast im happy if i get 1 "perfect" rotation off in a 10min fight. Ive tried to explain to all illys ive grouped with that i like them to hold it back just 10secs, but very few do that and launch it w/e its up. In wich case both the Necro and Conjy will get more benefits from it as they dont rely on a single spell to boost dps.

With Necros dpsing as they do now the obvious choice for a Troub is to Upbeat necros, another loss in potential dps.
    So when some claim wiz have potential to top parse they might be right. But real combatsituation rarely allows for that.