Wizard vs Warlock

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Bleodwynn, Nov 17, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Bleodwynn Guest

I really love my blaze spell, seems to be the most benficial to me so far, most of the time. Was wondering if anyone who played EQ prior to EQ2 can give me some insight as to how Wizard vs. Warlock spells work for solo adventures and what the differences are aside from the obvious elemental vs. poison/disease aspect of the class. Am leaning towards Warlock, but have had no experience with those types of spells yet - am still 16 Sorcerer at the time of this post.

Thanks!
  2. ARCHIVED-Nightwolf78 Guest

OK here we go... first experience in comparing a warlock and a wizard.
    Yes as the description says the warlock is focused on disease and on poison and the spell graphic effects are really a waste!!! If you like ligting fire and nice efects go for wizard...

Damage output... warlock..at level 20 you get a spell called Negative Absolution...yea great its more or less useless unless ur killing a **ZOMG**load of lowend monsters it is a nice AE spell but it ***** up if you are in a group with a mezzer with you so dont try it there...hmm the damage is about the same than a BLAZE does AKA a **ZOMG** lvl 10 spell (on adept both) so...its a no go in most situations as it also eats a nice amount of power AND i have not yet succeeded or found a creature that has benefical buffs on that the spell can debuff.

Then The most usefull spell on the list YES Kraylith's curse of the toad , transforms you or a party member into a poorly looking frog and gives NO penalty or ADVANCE in anything exept u can crawl into smaller places GG devs!!!

ok lets look at the wizard he gets more or less the same type of spells only that the familiar is way more usefull (T'Lys Minor familiar) and the chilling wind is also more usefull becasue its actually a area DOT (ofc u cant use this in groups either too well if a mezzer is around).

Ok...lets go to lvl 21 there the warlock gets a OKish BUFF to increase power of the gang against the wizards Breath of the tyrant wich does nice damage ... yea still no better dam spell as the bloody blaze for warlock.

Lets move on to my current level 22 again...ffs a area damage spell...Putrid cloud very short stun on the mob and a poson damage to it and its surrounding (not as effective as the lvl 20 spell so...still relying on nuke called blaze GAH!!

Wizard gets a Lighting flash on lvl 22 does instant damage to the target and surrounding argh again AE but it looks very cool.
    and it might give an aditional heat DOT so compared to the warlocks **ZOMG**ty stun + poison it might actually be worth casting.

Ok guys...i might have souded a bit negative in my post but i try to keep my posts in the way I see it... i havent exploed all the ways to use theese spells so dont doom me if you find it different...

I will keep posting as i advance ... i keep on the path of a warlock as i have chosen it... but i start to realize why ppl go for the wizard instead the warlock..
  3. ARCHIVED-Nightwolf78 Guest

*double post*
    Message Edited by Nightwolf78 on 11-18-2004 02:58 AM
  4. ARCHIVED-Svarte_Petter Guest

At 23 something big happends, we get our "Uber Nuke" our new spell line nuke. It does kickass dmg and replenish power back to Warlock, aka Power tap Nuke..do wiz get something like that? nooooo. =)

In Beta when i got Dark Disortion i become a solo machine, few dots then finish whith nuke, next mob plz hehe
    cant wait to get it have Adept1 of it hehe

p.s. NightWolf Reroll to a Wiz if u feel that miserble, dont come here and whine.

Svarte Petter
    22 Warlock
    Runney Eye

Message Edited by Svarte_Petter on 11-18-200405:01 AM
    Message Edited by Svarte_Petter on 11-18-2004 05:03 AM
  5. ARCHIVED-furri Guest

6. ARCHIVED-BgBizz Guest

Nightwolf wasnt whining he was answering a question.
  7. ARCHIVED-Svarte_Petter Guest

same as blaze if i dont remember wrong, i used to swtich between blaze and dark disortion, start whith Dark then blaze then dark etc....

p.s. BgBizz looks like whinning to me.

Svarte Petter
    22 Warlock
    Runney Eye
    Message Edited by Svarte_Petter on 11-18-2004 06:42 AM
  8. ARCHIVED-isthisaname Guest

Slight tangent:

One myth I would like to confirm or put to bed....

AoE spells breaking mezz. I played with several enchanters in beta that claimed that AoE spells did not break mezz, the only thing that does is someone hitting or casting a direct spell on the mob. If this is true then it greatly effects gameplay and we need to speak up about it - educated oursleves and our group mates. I used AoE all the time in beta (particularly the level 21 Negative Absolution spell) and as long as the tank has an AoE taunt like shout we would plow through mobs.

Also to the guy that says he hasnt seem mobs have buffs. Dispells are extremely helpful when tackling shamen or druid mobs. Properly timed they can strip off the wards and the regens and help you finish off the mobs in 1/2 the time.

Saerin
  9. ARCHIVED-Junaru Guest

Nightwolf78 like I said in the other thread.. I think you need to reroll a Wizard.. You keep posting the same WRONG information about Warlocks.. Your posts seem bitter and regreetful.. Save yourself the headack and reroll before you get to 50 and wished you had..

P.S. This is not meant to be a flame just trying to lead someone down the right path for them.. There is nothing worse then playing a toon for 2 years only to find out that you still hate it and have since day one..
  10. ARCHIVED-Hexi Guest

I'd like to hear more about the effects, too. It would see that sometime between lvls 20-50 we would get a bit more than just a puff of green mist :(

Looking at the spell list, it seems overwhelming. I'm sure we'll cycle through some of them and retire them, but wow. Do the AE's break mez or not? Why the contradictory reports?

I like effects, but I'm more keen on actual gameplay. If AE's break mez, that might impact a few people in their choices.

Can anyone else chime in? Oh, congrats to all of you who have made it already! You'll be the first ones to see the bugs and pitfalls, so I'm not sure I envy you ;) Nonetheless, definitely an achievement. Now get some sleep!
  11. ARCHIVED-killzone Guest

I'm still interested in hearing the good and bad of both classes.

So how much damage does Dark Distortion do? At 23 the Wizard gets Ball of Fire which looks like it's an upgrade to Blaze. If thats the case I wouldn't be surprised to see Ball of Fire doing 150-200 points of damage at adept I. Dark Distortion sounds good, but considering it returns power to the Warlock I'd be very surprised if it did more than 50 points of damage. If it's on par with Ball of Fire and returns power to the caster, then the Warlock would seem more powerfull. If not, then it would seem that the Wizard is the premier nuker and it's more than just poison/elemental.
  12. ARCHIVED-Junaru Guest

Well I'm not a Warlock so I can't comment on the spell effects..

"I'm sure we'll cycle through some of them and retire them, but wow. Do the AE's break mez or not? Why the contradictory reports?"

NO it does not.. See if SOE added the message telling you who broke mez like EQLive we would put this to rest already.. It's easy to test.. Find an Enchanter have him mez a group mob and you AoE nuke it.. You will see for youself that is doesn ot break it.. If it does then bug report it cause before the board wipe SOE stated that AoE wont break mez..
  13. ARCHIVED-Atilis Wulfbyte Guest

One thing I have been wondering about is if Warlocks get any direct damage spells. Is the warlock class like the samething as the wizard class just with disease and poison instead of ice and fire? Or are they completely different?
  14. ARCHIVED-Nightwolf78 Guest

Yep now we have tested it the AoE isNOT supposed to break mez...but it unfortunately does at some stages (depending of the lvl of the mob it seems).

Im going to ignore those comments about me changing to wizard..i will play the warlock as i like the "idea" of it...and i will post just as i experience it...i really dont give a **ZOMG** if ppl tell me im bitter as im not...
    Besides im sure that on lvl 23 i get a nice spell aswell 30% to go so well see what happens i hope it is a good spell...
  15. ARCHIVED-Junaru Guest

Yes the Warlock is the same as a Wizard for the most part.. Warlocks get more nukes then Wizards also..

Just thought you might want to try something more to your liking..
  16. ARCHIVED-Light_Mage Guest

As I have figured, I have been reviewing the spell lists for the Warlocks and Wizards. As well, I have been reading up on both classes. I believe that in the long run, Warlocks will be a tab bit more powerful than wizards. HOwever, the wizards may be able to do more damage in the long run. BUT, wizards are more likely to run out of mana quickly than a warlock. A warlock can sustain himself/herself against a foe. I would believe that Warlocks are a bit more powerful and can solo a bit.

Wizards are still good though becuase of its dmg output.

Just my 2 cent.
  17. ARCHIVED-Svarte_Petter Guest

well My Dark Disortion do 200+ dmg and replinsh some mana,,,,its now Warlock finally kick in love the spell hehe
    if u guys still wanna play wiz do that..but im hooked on Warlock, and our spell line seems right for me.

Svarte Petter
    23 Warlock
    Runney Eye
  18. ARCHIVED-Nightwolf78 Guest

Thats Great news tbh im really dying for a new dam spell that actually is better than the Blaze ..... well i play the warlock because hes cooler then the wiz imho :smileyhappy:
  19. ARCHIVED-Livebythex2 Guest

It seems like there are two types of AoE attack...

True AoE, which breaks mez and hits any enemy in the surrounding area.
    Group AoE, which only hits opponents in the same 'monster party', and won't target a mesmerized opponent. E.g. Lightning Storm.

The two main areas where this system disolves into confusion are:

Some HOs appear to turn Group AoE into True AoE, so you may inadvertantly break mez this way.
    Group DoT spells work as described above, however, once they land on a monster, it can no longer be mesmerized for its duration. Thus, you should probably wait until all necessary monsters have been mesmerized before casting these...
  20. ARCHIVED-StormYYC Guest

But then again, who needs Enchanters except perhap in raids? At level 25, I have yet to see a situation where an Enchanter would be needed. One exception is that if you have only one healer, then you can take an enchanter. But its still lot better to have 2 healers, 1 tank, 1 rogue (for HO) and 2 DPS, preferable Wiz or Warlocks. Enchanters are very much so a waste of a slot in this game, but you never know, it might change at higher level.