Wizard vs Warlock Analysis: Compiled Spell Statistics/DPS calculations Side by Side

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Amistead, Aug 27, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Amistead Guest

pharacyde wrote:

Ugh another mathematician !
    I'm not a mathematician by trade. I am an engineer however.

Yeah yeah ... Comparing one spell to another fun fun :) Go hurt your brain some more. You didn't convince me.

You made the following assumptions my dear (but yeah you don't tell them hu)
    - wizard and warlocks only have one spell (lol what an assumption !!)
    I made no assumption that Wizards and Warlocks only have one spell. That is why I listed every DPS spell, except for the pets. I've even arranged the information side by side into equivalent spell lines.
    - they never get agro and they keep casting it forver (another nice assumption go for it man you are uber !)
    I've made no assumptions about aggro retention issues. I've simply shown that Warlock lines are inferior DPS.
    - mobs have no resists (yep look the spells are maxed out !!!)
    I did not assume maximum damage in my calculations, I assumed average damage. I made no assumptions whatsoever with regards to mob resists.
    - warlock and wizard have endless power (yep they don't need to regen)
    Actually, the power costs for equivalent level spells are pretty much identical down the board. That is why I didn't bother listing that information. My implicit assumption is that the Wizard and Warlock both get to cast their equivalent level spells.
    - you never get stunned or whatever by mob, you never die, never get interrupted. lol
    Do you think I have assumed in here somewhere that the Wizard or Warlock died, therefore affecting DPS?
    - you always hit the mob and never miss !
    I have assumed that both the Wizard and Warlock cast an equivalent tier spell, and that both hit the mob. It is clear to me that if one class is getting constantly resisted, that is an issue with mob design, not class design. My complaint is with class design, not mob design. Across the board, Warlock spells put out inferior DPS. All every Warlock would like to see is balanced DPS. Per curent implementation, this is not the case.

Nice stats man, they seem very practical with all those assumptions. Basicly you have no clue how to handle stats.
    I humbly beg to differ. If you consider the numbers meaningless bro, why do you upgrade spells? To have larger numbers, I wager. Wizard spells are putting out larger numbers across the board. Would you not then consider a Wizard an upgraded Warlock? This is not a complicated analysis by any means. All Wizard spells are either equivalent DPS or greater DPS.

Get a parser and tell me about your dps then and only then I will consider it as a proof of unbalance. For now you only have raw numbers that are meaningless.

Vexia 50 warlock @ guk
    Sybryn 50 zerker @ guk
  2. ARCHIVED-Amistead Guest

Nice theory ... but yeah I rather believe FoH on test servers then this post.
    There are numerous issues with the reliability of the FOH numbers. Seeing as how every Warlock spell is either balanced or inferior to the Wizard equivalents, and the Warlock put out higher DPS, could it not be that the Warlock was pushing his inferior spell line harder?
    Sorry mate but trying to do the math just doesn't work with this game. There is alot of feeling and other circumstances when you are raiding that will change the dps you calculate.
    /sigh You mean that on raids you can't just spam to uber maximize your DPS? These calculations are simple. Warlock spell lines are inferior DPS across the board.

One big thing is, in raid I never EVER use all my spells ;-) So comparing them all is just not gonna make a difference.
    Since I will never use the crappy spells anyway in raid. Or very offen when I need to lay off agro :)
    Okay. Will a Warlock use Nil Absolution in a raid? Inferior to the Wizard line. Will a Warlock use Dark Nebula? Inferior to the Wizard line. Will a Warlock use Soul Flay/Soul Blister as a trinary nuke? Inferior to the Wizard line. Is Dark Infestation even close to as powerful as Surging Tempest? Sorry, once again, the Warlock line is inferior to the Wizard line.

But the post is nice to give us an idea what are our good and bad spells. Nice work ;-)

Alezara
    Warlock of the 50th Order
    -=Pandemonium/Unrest=-
  3. ARCHIVED-Burnout Guest

we did some testraids & parsed them - conclusion: raidmobs don't care about those numbers you fight around with here on boards. to take those spell descriptions as base for compare calcs is simply wrong - cause raid reality does differ a lot.
    currently wizard & warlock spells are still in balancing, so are resists & mitigations of the mobs. the devs have all those parses from test raids some guilds are doing & they DO read the feedback.