Wizard - Melee Damage question

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Luck, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Luck Member

http://dragonsarmory.com/character/442381744332

I've posted my Dragon's Armory link above. My question is this:

- I've grouped with a number of great wizards on Everfrost, on my Pally. Running ACT, I see their melee/crushing damage is usually in the top 5 damage categories for them.

- I've recently reforged and readorned to increase my DPS mod, currently sitting at 586. I've seen a small difference, but still not the dramatic numbers some wizards have been putting up.

What am I missing?

- Is my accuracy too low and should I increase this? Using a recent FSOS run, my hit rate was only 44%, seems too low.

- When I did hit, my damage values were probably in the 45-66k per hit. But compared to some others, it seems very low. To I need to sacrifice some stats and increase Str?

Thanks for the input.
  2. Kaarkula Active Member

It's because you don't have a ranged weapon that does damage. Casters get their melee dps from RNG (items have better ratio). Also check your options to make sure you don't have forced melee on.
  3. Luck Member

no ranged shows up, because the primary is a 2H staff. I'll check the forced melee settings...
  4. Kaarkula Active Member

You aren't really understanding me - casters get their melee dps from ranged weapons not primary (like your 2hander)...

from what I can tell you don't have a focus ranged that does damage - if you want to start doing crushing/pierce dps ect like other casters you need to get a ranged weapon.
  5. Azian Well-Known Member

I don't have a wizard but do have a lock and I completely agree with Kaarkula. Imho, what you really wanted from the Monk's Heart HQ was http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Zlandicar's_Scorched_Heart this one instead of the one you chose. I suppose there isn't any way to swap the choice once made. :( I have a 2 hander on my lock but that's only because I haven't had luck getting a rare one hander even though I do have a good focus item for the secondary ready and waiting. As of now, the 2 hander is still better overall stats for me so I use it. Despite that, my auto attack is still all ranged from my focus weapon.

Edit to add: I personally would also swap out some of the max health armor for gear that is pot/cb/casting speed instead. Pushing your casting speed up to more like 200ish would get you a decent addition to double cast. Unless you are raiding the hard stuff you don't need 5 pieces of max hp gear. Btw, no, do not try to raise your STR as it does nothing for mages. The only base stats you need to worry about are INT for damage and STA for health. None of the others matter to you.
  6. Luck Member

Thanks guys for the info. As an aside, I reforged out of casting speed and into DPS Mod, just to see what impact that would have on my melee DPS. That's kind of why my casting speed is low. I dropped 10% 2x cast to try this experiment with DPS. Really appreciate the help...
  7. Pixilicious Well-Known Member

In your profile it still shows, that you don't have a spell autoattack weapon equipped, so not sure if u understood those ppl posting above at all. Your ranged weapon have to be a focus spell weapon, (instead of the Zlandicar heart) so you can do spell autoattack. Also make sure to set autoattack on forced ranged
  8. Luck Member

yeah, got it Pix! Thanks! Have some work to do, to farm up some replacement items. But this thread definitely helped....thanks again all....
  9. Beee Well-Known Member

Azian likes this.
  10. Luck Member

Done..thx Bee