Wizard alot better than Warlock?

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Vistrix, Nov 29, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Griffinhart Guest

I, myself, took the wizard route. Mostly because the Wizard is what I play in most games. I have to say though, There are many Warlock spells I look at and I wish I could get. :) At some point, I may also create a Warlock for the subtleties. They are just too cool.
  2. ARCHIVED-TheRealDude Guest

seems to me that you guys in all your disgust for the class forgot one thing ... this game was designed for 200 lvls ... just because the wizzard can out nuke us and every other DPS class owns us and we cant CC or anything doesnt mean that we wont be the king of DPS at lvl 100 or 200. for all you know the wizzard's ice comet will be the best spell he gets like in EQ1 and we on the other hand get 5 or 6 nukes that equal to be 20X his dmg output ... given this is all speculation but im sure they wouldnt put out a class just to say "oooo looky at how many dumb people chose the new class" im sure SOE has a plan for all the classes lvl50+ already and just because we havent heard from them about it doesnt mean we are a gimped, forgotten, class.

and as for the drops i agree on that point that the loot table needs to be fixed ... i found in nek the other day 5 wizzy adepts, 8 illusionst adepts, 3 monk adepts, 5 heavy armor, and a few good weapon drops (i couldnt use) which just seems reduculous that i didnt find one single warlock drop the entire time ive been playing. and that was just while soloing lol ..... sure i can sell them all but im still pissed that i cant find one single drop for me and when i do its usualy light armor that i could have used 20 levels ago.
  3. ARCHIVED-UnicyclePeon Guest

Griffin,

What subtle things do Warlocks do? Can they do them solo? I'm just asking because I want to be a Warlock, and will do so even if I'm weak, but I'd just like to know what subtle things Warlocks do. I'm not good at subtle so this makes me nervous. :)

Uni P
  4. ARCHIVED-Diabolo Guest

I can solo as good as any other class. At 29 I am soloing level 30 orcs in Zek. Out of combat mana regen combined with good food almost eliminates downtime. Just make sure you dont get hit much because mobs like to stun and interrupt. My main advice is get Adept 1 Menacles and you shoulld be good after some practice on easy green mobs. For solo I have high Stamina and AC gear (as high as very light rags can go lol) just in case I get hit. Now that they improved out big nuke solo is even more pleasant.

Phenom,
    29 Warlock of Blackburrow
  5. ARCHIVED-Griffinhart Guest

The suble thing is keeping your party in Power. Many warlock spells drain a targets power and increase the worlock's and his group's power. While not a obvious and flashy as a bigger nuke, it is arguably more potent than just a bigger boom.

As far as soloing goes, Warlocks solo about as well as wizards do. There should be little to no difference between the two classes for soloing. Then again, both wizards and warlocks are some of the weaker soloers after level 20. If you want to play a mage that soloes more, I would recommend a necro or a conjurer. Thier pets make them a much better soloer than us.
  6. ARCHIVED-Dantrag0 Guest

First I would just like to emphasize link: http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=22&message.id=411
    I am also in the same situation, wondering which to pick and not wanting to regret. I have decided (as I did in EQ choosing between a Necro and a Wizard) that utility to the group is the key. Evac was essentially why Wizards (and even druids) were picked over others like Magicians and Necromancers to go on deep level sojourns. What does the Warlock have to match that?

Please note I'm not bashing either, I would truly like to be a Warlock because I have already been a wizard and I do not see much evidence of either being stronger in terms of damage.
  7. ARCHIVED-Banshye Guest

Maybe I'm the only one, but I find myself (warlock) often being recruited by wizards to join their groups. No I can't outdamage them in a toe to toe flame-throw but they appreciate the damage I do bring (which is nothing to sneeze at), they appreciate my AE ability, they appreciate my buffs... and they appreciate my very cool hair.

If you've played MMOGs at all, you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that these things are cyclical. Wizards might be enjoying their moment in the sun, but I'm still managing to level right along... and my moment in the sun might be only one patch away.
  8. ARCHIVED-Goddslayer Guest

I'm thinking about rolling a Warlock as an alt, and, to be honest, the dissapointment with the class has not changed my mind. Reason being: My main is a conjuror. If you think Warlocks got screwed, you probably haven't played a conj yet.. At 24, if I stack all 3 of my dots (1 of them is grey and hits for like 10, 1 is an AoE and chews up tons of mana), they tick, all together, for a maximum of about 60.. but on average, the total damage per tick is like 40, thats with 3 freakin dots.. then you have the pet which periodically nukes for 30-50(avg) or melees for 10-20(avg) if its earth. My nuke hits for between 40 and 70 on average. I have seen ONE conjuror spell drop in all the groups I've ever been in, my adept 1 fire pet costs at least 3 gold (I'm poor), my adept 1 earth pet is no where to be found, adept III earth pet costs 10 gold +, and most of my spells, well I've never even seen them on the broker.

Why am I telling you this? I'm trying to make a point.. the game needs some serious balancing. Most every melee character outdamages me severely and hey, they can tank too, so what's the point of my conjuror? There isn't one, really, I just love the class. I will stick with it until changes are made to bring them up to par with other classes. Same thing with Warlocks.. from reading these boards I can kind of tell that if I play a Warlock alt I'm going to be playing another "underdog" class that needs some work, but I will play it, because like an above poster mentioned, you never know when they will "rebalance" the game and warlocks, or something else, will become great.
  9. ARCHIVED-Dreven88 Guest

I have a lvl 21 Mystic and decided to make a alt. I just got a conj up to lvl 10 and also made a sorc and got her up to lvl 11. I'm really having a lot of fun with the Sorc right now and may stick with her as my main.

One thing I should side not is that my Mystic is also a lvl 13 Scholar. I didn't know if this would work but I made app3 spells for my Sroc before I started her a couple of days ago and she was able to use them as soon as she got a spell. At lvl 3 with an app3 on newbie Island - a lightning hit would instantly kill a blue.

Anyway, I'm thinking about going Warlock.
    1) Less played - I like being unique
    2) Judging by SOE's past - the underdog is usually going to get a uber balance boost (if anything because they don't like 3/1 margins)

and the BIG one:
    3) Warlock DoT's stack with Wizard DoT's. Where Wiz DoT's don't stack with Wiz DoT's. A grouple with a Wiz & and War is going to be much more powerful than a group with two Wizards.

From what I've seen the UBER group would be:
    1) Guardian
    2) Scout or Illusionist
    3) Wizard
    4) Warlock
    5) Cleric or Druid
    6) Mystic
  10. ARCHIVED-StormYYC Guest

I agree for the most part with your uber group roster but I would change that (for high 20s/low 30s ):

1) Guardian or Zerker
    2) Coercer or Illusionist
    3) Troub or Dirge
    4) Defiler/Mystic or Warden/Fury
    5) Templar/inquisitor
    6) Any Mage or Scout classes

Now the ULTIMATE Dream Roster would be:

1)Guardian
    2)Coercer
    3)Dirge
    4)Defiler
    5)Templar
    6)Wizard

But whats are the chances of that ever happening ;)

Really as muc as we can debate on the uberness of any groups, with a Shammy-Cleric-Warrior core, any group is uber with 3 good DPS classes... It just make it better if an Enchanter and Bard are also present.