Will There Ever Be an Everquest III?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Khulda The Rat, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Obano Well-Known Member

Feldon's summary is fairly accurate to what they had planned. There is a theory behind it too called "Crowdsourcing."

They were hoping to take advantage of the unpaid labor of fans to create the game for them. They provide the tools and we create our own content. In theory it would be the ultimate sandbox. For many reasons not worth getting into the project was unfeasible.
  2. HarmonyThurston Member

I think it would have worked out to do it just to do it as some sandbox games where players make the content can meet with a certain measure of success (such as Second Life). But not for an Everquest title. It would be almost like making a PVP version of The Sims :) Not really what it's about. Cool idea though - and at least they tried it.
    Juraiya likes this.
  3. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

It didn't help that Storybricks turned out to be a pile of hot garbage either.
    Zeddicious likes this.
  4. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I play Last fantasy on a pc my son plays on PlayStation 4 and there are more abilities than on EQ 1 or at least about the same
    you get 2 action bars that can be rolled over to up to 10 bars .
    Have you ever played Landmark ? Feldon ?
    I already said that Sony used the wealth of creativity of the players , and we knew and were proud of it .
    Cyrrena likes this.
  5. Feldon Well-Known Member

I had the pleasure to play Landmark a bit and explore some of the incredible buildings and environments players had started creating.
    Schmetterling and Cyrrena like this.
  6. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

ok Feldon :).
    I started to play there the second day when alpha opened and I was there when the servers went down on the last day .
    I am happy your not one of those people who just talk about something they did not even ever experience themselves
    Feldon and Cyrrena like this.
  7. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

Landmark was in many ways great, and would have been great as a standalone game had it been presented as such to begin with, instead of being billed as a precursor to EQ Next. But it was pretty clear (to me at least) that the art direction, the limited character builds, and the overall concept of EQ Next was not suited to an EQ1/EQ2 successor. And the whole voxels and storybricks ideas, whilst looking really nice on paper, were just far too ambitious given the resources and time.

One would hope that if they are not already working on something, that there would be plans to in the future. There are obviously rumors out there that they're already working on it, but you know how that goes. But Everquest seems like too good a franchise to give up on. It still has a lot of name recognition among gamers in this genre, and I'd love the idea of being able to play my favorite MMO franchise with modern graphics and a fresh new take on the world. I just don't want anything too "revolutionary" - we've all seen a bunch of MMOs come and go over the years that promised to bring something totally new to the party, and ended up falling flat.
  8. GrunEQ Well-Known Member

If Landmark had stayed a building system, and if the landscape didn't start turning all spike-y, and they didn't try to turn it into a game, I think it could have continued. Too, bad. I think Ashes of Creation will turn into what EQNext was hoping for.
  9. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

no like I said earlier I was there most of the time and went to almost all live discussions with the devs and idea from the beginning was that Landmark would help to create EQ next , the mechanics were at least similar if not to a point the same .
    I also remember that from the beginning there was a plan to give us a separate game when all was done .
    Yes Landmark worked in small zones for harvesting mining and wood cutting , but put together lots of toons and buildings and some people could not log on let alone move.
    the game was declared a 64 bit game fairly quickly .
    The attempt was made to ad quests or chores , or achievements but we only got to hunt mobs under ground besides some exploding mushrooms at the end . ( it was a lot more fun when I got visitors porting to my house and wile they still zoned got eaten by the monster next to my house and they would finally finish zoning realizing they were dead , now that is hospitality.

The game finally got closed down because the cost to keep the servers up cost more than 4 regular eq2 servers combined .
    Juraiya, Breanna, Dude and 1 other person like this.
  10. Finora Well-Known Member

I agree. If they'd marketed Landmark as a better Minecraft/FreeRealms mashup kind of game, it could have done pretty well I think. Simple combat, great building. EQNext, that one I felt was doomed from the start. It was far too different from existing Eq/Eq2 players expected & wanted in the next generation of EQ games.

As for Pantheon, I have zero faith in that game ever showing up as promised.
  11. Mucko Member

I tried Landmark for all of 10 minutes. Dug a hole, dirt respawned...Buried myself alive...
    Schmetterling, Cyrrena and Pixistik like this.
  12. EQ_Jack Active Member

Pantheon looks like it could be good. but ya no idea when it will release. I'm also waiting for Camelot Unchained....that game isn't even close to ready.. prob 1-2 more years from what I recently saw.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  13. Wgrace Active Member

Its called Pantheon: Rise of The Fallen and is currently in development lol
    [awaits retribution]
    Scrappyz likes this.
  14. TinyRatongaofDoom Beau Wintertail the Ratonga

Well, in all honesty, Pantheon seems to be sharing the same fate as Everquest Next, it's been in development for ages, and it's still in pre-alpha. It's in development hell and it looks like it'll never release.
    Finora, Cyrrena and Dude like this.
  15. Melt Actually plays the game

It also doesn't really have a target audience, so even if it does end up being released it wouldn't live for long.
    Finora, Cyrrena and Dude like this.
  16. TinyRatongaofDoom Beau Wintertail the Ratonga

Yeah, sadly, even if it does release, it'll probably die faster than Bless did. I get that Pantheon is being made by EQ1's devs, but it doesn't mean it'll be a good MMO, nor does it mean it'll release. It's one of the many things I think people of EQ1 and 2 are not getting about Pantheon. Not to mention the ridiculous pledge prices, half of which are the price of rent or the price of a car.
    Cyrrena, Dude and Snikkety like this.
  17. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Methinks EQ III will require a full immersion virtual realirt suit to give it that great gaming feel.

See .hack//sign anime for such suit use. I think. The outro of each episode seems to show one in use.
  18. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

Ashes basically shot itself in the foot with is forced PvP system that penalizes anyone who prefers to play PvE.
  19. TinyRatongaofDoom Beau Wintertail the Ratonga

Good thing I wasn't that interested in it. lol
    I despise PvP so...that's basically telling me to go **** myself for enjoying only PvE.
  20. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

there is nothing wrong with that Tiny , I just wished people would stop beating up on ech other for their preferences.
    Some like PvP others don't that should be the end of that debate .
    Svenone, Cyrrena, Geroblue and 2 others like this.