Will SF be like TSO?

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL, Nov 2, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-therodge Guest

Jgok@Permafrost wrote:
    its not the gear thats the problem, i cleared pof my first time in teir 2 and a fabled. their are two combinations of things that that make them "difficult" one is a lack of min/maxing a healer who doesent know how to heal or dps who dont know how to dps or a tank who doesent no how to tank have effects.
    i did dof recently and failed, im in teir 3 and a myth, group dps was 8k (6k of which was mine) and i did 75% of the heal parse, most people in the group were in kunark legendary or teir 1, which yes is enough to clear the zone IF you know what your doing, that same day i cleared Necrotic with a single kunark legendary fury (though group dps was 22k) by definition casual means to put little effort into something theirfor a true casual will struggle even if gear is fine.
    technically a full raid with teir 2 and myth could kill byzola as thats plenty enough gear to do so, but they wont for lack of other things.
    second is any strat is far simplified by simply saying it. for instance varsoon which is the hardest group mob in game has the following strat
    interrupt when you see casting animation. heal, kill adds in left room move when a blade spawns in right room strat finished.
    ferzual another hard heroic mob. deal with memwipe tank on edge strat done.
    heck you can go through almost every raid mob and make them sound cake by explaining a strat execution is far more difficult. for instance venril sathir in his current form still fudges up purs his strat is this
    cure nox dont attack when the manadrains on you. if you die dont revive (and if following strat no one will.)
    strats are harder to execute then to state for one second everyone falls into 2 groups. those who can follow strats and those who cant. and for that atter its probobly 50/50 on those who can and cant, its not something that can be learned it something you have or dont and thats the diffrence between a raider and a casual
    in the same way you can clear all content in game without ever touching avatar gear infact you can probobly clear all content in game with just your teir 4 gear and heroic jewlry but the thing is the liklyness of that sort of mastery is rare and most likly partially based on sheer luck in some ituations thats how it works
  2. ARCHIVED-therodge Guest

Rijacki wrote:
    it should be noted that this was the way it was until tso, in kos legendary i cleared everything but the hardest zone (MMC) no deaths not even a sight of problem, heck i cleared coa and vaults in rok in eof legendary (i refuse to quest just how i am) and thats a 10 level gap, also i cleared every zone in dof in cobalt armor and honestly i dont know if i ever upgraded past a few legendary peices.
  3. ARCHIVED-Khurghan Guest

CoLD MeTaL wrote:
    Process Effects
    Some magic weapons in the Everquest Role-Playing Game can sometimes deilver or process - "proc" in EQ slang - effects onto their target. When a paladin's sword ghoul's bane hits, for example, there's a chance that it will also unleash an undead-damaging magical effect upon whatever it struck.
  4. ARCHIVED-Banditman Guest

therodge wrote:
    This sums it all up, right here.
  5. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

Banditman wrote:
    I'd say "it's not "always" the gear thats the problem"
  6. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

dawy wrote:
    Oh I agree completely. I was hoping for a solo version of Deep Forge or Najena's or something.
  7. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

feldon30 wrote:
    Now there is an idea.
    Why don't they add a 'solo' version to all the shard zones where the named are ^ solo mobs, but don't drop fabled? Something that I bet would take very little coding time. And some people could duo it for quicker run etc.
    I'm witholding the negative in me that wants to put some snide (but probably accurate) reasons why they wouldn't do that.
  8. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

CoLD MeTaL wrote:
    It takes A LOT of development time to create different versions of the same zone, as much time to create a whole new zone that only re-uses the appearance of another zone.
    Since you seem to think you would be a better developer than anyone on the current team, why don't you put in your resume to SOE. I'm sure they have some open spots and, if you are so skilled at taking very little coding time to do all the things you think are simple, they would be crazy not to hire you.
  9. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

Rijacki wrote:
    Well I suppose if you KNOW how much dev time it takes then you can tell me. I am glad there are so many people on these forums with special knowledge to keep us riff raff in our place.
    You will also note, that I said "I bet", based on my more than 20 years of professional development experience. Of course that is business coding and not game coding.
  10. ARCHIVED-Yimway Guest

CoLD MeTaL wrote:
    Thats a pretty wide gap in my experience.
    I only hobby in game development though, but discussing issues with game developers the challenges and time sinks are not remotely where you'd expect to see them.
  11. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

Atan@Unrest wrote:
    Oh I can certainly agree with that. The development model is radically different for game than business. I stopped 'hobby'-ing it with quake 3 mods and starcraft RTS look a likes. I would still wager that a dungeon design that mimiced a group zone exactly with same art, only the level of the mobs changed from ^^^ heroic to solo would not be all that large an endeavor, see how quickly Antonica went from all heroic to all solo. Or SS was patched all beefy, and then modded. Also note I didn't say it would take 'zero time' all dev effort takes time as a resource.
    i alsoam fairly sure that the real reason is 'everyone' would go the solo route, because 'high powered' players could do the zone in minutes. which would discourage 'all' grouping. and discouraging all grouping is extremely bad. I have to say that the current solo shard mission really is lame, since you can't even be your character while killing the 'void' beasts, and the abilities they give you are super lame. takes longer to do the solo missoin than it takes to do the 3 gray shard zones in EF most days.
  12. ARCHIVED-Tehom Guest

CoLD MeTaL wrote:
    I seem to dimly recall that sort of thing actually came up before in reference to the Splitpaw Adventure pack, where they said that creating and itemizing multiple sets of zones takes nearly as long as creating entirely new ones. Maybe that doesn't hold true anymore if they have better tools or whatever, but I seem to remember that being given as the reason at the time why they didn't create many more versions.
  13. ARCHIVED-Yimway Guest

Chath@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Bingo, Itemization has to be done, even some components of scaling the mobs as just removing two arrows off the mob isn't the only thing that scales its challenge level.
    Then you get to the scripts on the nameds, many of them just wouldn't translate to soloability. The specials on their attack tables would need lots of tweaking.
    All in all, I can see how it turns into not much more work than just making another zone. As your people that do artwork are not your people that build out the content.
    I think you can see some challenges represented by that by looking at how strong the mobs are in scaled tso instances. Just lowering the level with a script wasn't sufficient 'scaling' to make the content playable for lower levels.
  14. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

Atan@Unrest wrote:
    They also said the same thing in response to having more scaling with the TSO dungeons or using the TSO scaling to scale pre-TSO dungeons, etc. Each time it was a player saying "it would be easy" and a dev saying "no, it's the same as creating a new dungeon".
  15. ARCHIVED-dawy Guest

Rijacki wrote:
    I feel given the seemingly small size of the dev team now solo versions of TSO dungoens where never going to a be on sadly.
  16. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Atan@Unrest wrote:
    Really what more needs to be said here? 9 year old > Cold Metal.
  17. ARCHIVED-MindFury Guest

feldon30 wrote:
    LOL you're joking right? You must not play on a pvp server. Before you talk about that which you apparently have no clue on, consider the fact to get anywhere in game that is worthwhile to do, you require the best gear you can get. ESPECIALLY if you're on a pvp server.
  18. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

MindFury wrote:
    PvP server also has other gear which can be obtained by doing PvP which is far more suited for PvP. Additionally, a -solo- PvPer is going to dead... a lot, especially at higher levels... and it has nothing to do with obtaining heroic/group legendary gear or not.
  19. ARCHIVED-MindFury Guest

Rijacki wrote:
    Sure, we do have other gear that CAN be obtained. And surviving in pvp is 95% gear 5% skill. Obviously you're completely unaware of how pvp works. I suggest joining a pvp server, and seeing how far you get pvp gear wise, any tier, in nothing more than mc gear. Honestly, if you ppl are going to discuss something, at least get all the facts first. Without comparable gear allowing one to survive there is no shot. Be it solo or grp. pve or pvp.
  20. ARCHIVED-hellfire Guest

MindFury wrote:
    Umm maybe get pvp gear?
    But sorry no you dont need legendary to solo or pvp.