Will SF be like TSO?

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL, Nov 2, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

TSO for me has been an 'epic fail'.
    If SF is gonna have some kind of stupid 'shard' system, and no real ability to get them solo, then I'd like to save myself some cash.
  2. ARCHIVED-Lord Hackenslash Guest

CoLD MeTaL wrote:
    Of course the next expansion will be just like the last one. It's always like that. TSO was a cookie cutter copy of RoK. RoK was like doing EoF all over again. EoF was KoS with a green tint on the screen (like we wouldn't notice) which of course means KoS was just a trick where they really meant to call it Kingdom of Deserts but they thought people might get it confused with The original expansion Desert of Werepackagedtheoriginalbox. So yes if the past is any clue we can expect the game to not change in any way and we will learn the Sentinel is really an anagram for Ethernauts.
  3. ARCHIVED-ericsweeney Guest

I remember it being mentioned that SF will have some kind of shard system in place. Of course, I have no idea what form it will take. However since a common theme is 'heroic grade gear for heroic progression', I expect that SF will probably operate on a system that is similar to the one used in TSO.
    Now is that a good thing? Well that's a whole different topic. Frankly all of the TSO instance grinding has burnt me out and has me looking towards other developing games hitting the open market. But other people loathed RoK for the solo quest line focus. If SOE manages to truly hybrid the two together and make raiding have a clear sense of progression again, then they may keep me as a customer. Though at this point, I don't consider that likely.
  4. ARCHIVED-dawy Guest

TSO was for my money by far the worst EQ2 expansion i'm not sure why they thought a year (more now of course) of constant instance grinding would be considered "fun".

I have hopes for SF but at this point they're not very high ones,at least that way i wont get too disappionted by it.
  5. ARCHIVED-Yimway Guest

CoLD MeTaL wrote:
    Shockingly, it may require heroic activities to get heroic rewards.
  6. ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion Guest

Atan@Unrest wrote:
    Well I agree with you both for different reasons. I would like an answer to this question as well. If the same raid scripting of mobs is going to apply to the solo and heroic content for the next expansion I would like to know. Timesinks <> Fun.
    There was nothing FUN about TSO.
  7. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

CoLD MeTaL wrote:
    Solo players do not need heroic/group LEGENDARY gear unless you are going to group.
    And anyway, there IS a solo quest to get void shards. One quest a day for 38 days will get you a full set of Void Shard T1 armor which is so far beyond and overpowered compared to Kunark LEGENDARY gear it's unbelievable. Most of the Shard gear in TSO is comparable to FABLED gear from Kunark. Also, check out the Order of Flame quest in Lavastorm. Do it 15 times (3 times a day) and you can buy some substantial jewelry. In short, you can get massively geared up in TSO in ways you could only dream of in Kunark.
    As for T2 shard gear, the main difference is it has Critical Mitigation. Critical Mitigation is only needed for the advanced TSO dungeons and TSO raiding.
  8. ARCHIVED-tatercake Guest

I dunno, but if raiding is like TSO or ROK I'll probably consider quitting in SF.
  9. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

Atan@Unrest wrote:
    Well to my mind TSO 'heroic' zones were based around people having raid gear. Very , very few times have i successfully done a TSO raid zone witha pick up group of people in T1 or less. Raiders of course blow through it in a few minutes.
    And the over scripting is just nuts.
    Basically all the same stuff we have hashed in other threads.
  10. ARCHIVED-ShinGoku Guest

I pray to Marr that its nothing like tso!

I've made no attempt to hide my dislike for the repeat the zone for shards thing. Its just a time sink, that is ALL.
  11. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

CoLD MeTaL wrote:
    Deep Forge, Najena's Hollow (at least to the Jailer), Scion of Ice, Crucible (Master just got nerfed a few weeks ago, Codexicon make sure everyone picks up torches with a 3-2-1 click). You could get 8 shards a day from that. Plus the daily shard. You can get the Daily Double for Deep Forge or Scion of Ice so that's 2 more shards at least twice in a 2 week period. In 17 days you can be fully kitted out in T2. Not to mention all the drops out of these zones. Plus if one of those is a Hot Zone, then there's increased chance of Fabled gear off of names.
    Plus if you do the Lavastorm Order of Flame mission 3 times a day, in 10 days you can have 2 pieces of awesome jewelry.
    Also, if you can get into a Protector's Realm raid, there are a few jewelry upgrades there if you are not fabled out, and PR can be run by pretty much anyone these days. Some of the jewelry from Kunark is now tradeable. Check the broker.

In short, it's never been easier to get geared up in this game.
  12. ARCHIVED-Banditman Guest

I agree with Feldon on this. If you don't have T2 armor, it is a complete lack of effort aquiring it. Especially given the Chronomages. The T2 armor is easily equivalent, and in many ways superior, to raid armor from RoK.
  13. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

feldon30 wrote:
    And I have yet to be in a pick up group that can complete those zones.
  14. ARCHIVED-TheGeneral Guest

Im sorry, I disagree. I think TSO had many fun aspects to it. I had a blast running the instances.... for a while. Eventually yes, it did become boring and tiresome. I have no problem with the shard system, it seemed to be a nice way for people who never raided in Kunark to gear up and get into the raid game in TSO without having to go backwards first. If they can come up with a a mix of the fun stuff from each expansion, I think it will be fine. I will say though that I do not want to see anymore alien crabs after this. Lets get back to fantasy... ya know, Undead, giants, goblins, orcs, dragons, etc...
  15. ARCHIVED-juggalo0385 Guest

why does everyone hate TSO I really have enjoyed the expansion and I cant wait for the next one to come out.
  16. ARCHIVED-Coins Malone Guest

I think, other than the 'whack-a-mole' curefest that the raids require (what kind of a sadistic Dev thought of the curing structure on raids?!), that TSO turned out prety well for what it was supposed to be.
    We saw a level increase with RoK, and with EQ2 tradition thust far, every OTHER expansion is an increase in levels, while the alternates are an increase in dungeons/raids. TSO was a dungeon/raid expansion with the ability to help customize and gear out a player much faster than solo grinding with appallingly low drop rates on good gear.
    Sure, some of the scripts in TSO have been, well...horrible, at best -- Knowledgeable players with even half a grasp at their class mechanics can seem to do surprisingly well. Take Scion of Ice for instance....1-2 mobs per pull, except at the topwith the books, and then its only 3-4 (AoE classes rejoice~). The two Griffons? Hmm, crowd control anyone? How mezzers, rooters, offtanks and kiters have progressed to the 50-80 range and not figured out how to control those birds is beyond me. Way too much of the 'Playstation Generation' here. There is no 'push here to win' button like there is in WoW or some of the other weaker, newer games -- you actually have to learn what all the bajillion abilities your class does, or you play a different class -- hence why they have so many to choose from.
    It's always a shock how the game seems to segregate itself; High-end Raiders and clueless weekend warriors. Not more than a couple of years ago you could find a mix of a middle range of players. Those that could group just about any encounter with challenge, but success. I was in a PuG just the other day with a Tank who refused to hit Taunt. Now before you tank types out there go get all in a huff, I DO know that not every tank even HAS many taunts (SK) or that their primary ability to hold and control aggro is through DPS. But when the tank in this group (I won't name the class, so as not to start some ego wars here) comes to a level 80 zone in lvl 62 mastercrafted gear using a lvl 58 weapon, the only thing I could think of was 'eBayed powerlevelling service'. Needless to say, I as an Assassin, ended up tanking the zone (Deep Forge, btw), and was successful. I had a good healer and I could hold aggro well enough comparatively.
    Back to topic, yes TSO is scripted, and in some cases instances require a rather specific makeup for the group (*cough* Outer Stronghold *cough*) but it forced players to actaully learn not only their classes themselves, but how to react with other classes given a situation. AND we got some rather shibby gear from that progressive learning (shards).
    I enjoyed TSO, and while I do hope SoE learns from their mistakes and balances things a little bit better when comparing RoK to TSO, I do think they'll have the right idea by the time Sentinel's Fate comes out.
    I'll be here, and likely, despite all the whining on these forums, more than most of you lot will be here too~

--<( Daggers Malone )>--
  17. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

Coins Malone wrote:
    Well some people want to play a game, not have a second job disecting a 'bajillion' abilities, learning $OE speak, wadng through some of the worst spell descriptions ever, spend countless hours on training dummies to determine what an ability 'really' does contrary to how the spell desc reads, spend 100s of plat on min/max items or shards, wade through wikia to find out where the 'one little area' to click is at, leave friends out because they aren't the 'exact right class' for this zone. All of that is 'raider think'.
    Prior to TSO u could take 5 friends and go places and have a chance, ever so small sometimes, something nice would drop. You could go to CoA with a pretty much any kind of group (yes 1 tank, 1-2 heals, and dps (any kind)) and get a chance at the caratoid cutter. Now not ONLY is the zone scripted, the individual fights are heavily scripted. Normally non min/max gamers are here to play not study combat logs.
  18. ARCHIVED-Scythien Guest

Ok, so what I'm getting from this is:
    1. You want to gain Heroic quality gear from Soloing.
    CoLD MeTaL wrote:
    2. You group with people who suck.
    CoLD MeTaL wrote:
    3. You have no desire to actually learn how to play and want to easymode the game.
    CoLD MeTaL wrote:
  19. ARCHIVED-MurFalad Guest

juggalo0385 wrote:
    It seems good to me too, as long as some people are complaining about dungeons being too hard and raids being too hard they must have the difficulty right.
    What worries me are the parallels I'm feeling here with WoW at the end of TBC (similar expansion in some ways, tokens for gear, while the void isn't actually sci-fi TBC was space themed, armour was too flamboyant, and even the complaints about one class being able to AoE tank ez mode).
    The the result was everyone could tank EZ mode, we got a boring new continent (it felt bland, but that might be me personally), where all the content could be done easily by all the players (I was soloing 5 man quests while levelling up).
    So I hope here that SOE instead can pitch SF just right, keep the hardest content really hard and not just limit it to one or two raid instances. Rein in the item inflation a bit, and make the world look magical and enticing to adventure through, and keep tanking a seperate challenge to play and not make it a one button easy mode session like WoW became (I hope what I've heard rumoured of the fighter changes being this have been permanently canned).
    Its just a feel but EQ2 does feel like its been improving a lot in the past year, I hope they stay on the right track here.
  20. ARCHIVED-Banditman Guest

CoLD MeTaL wrote:
    Transfer servers. Your server is epic fail. Pick up groups slaughter these zones every night on Kithicor.