Why we as rangers should NOT be near the top of DPS.

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Ofzion, Aug 9, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Sirlutt Guest

The stuff in red reminds me of a friend who was a Pally. He wanted to be raid MT. He LOVEd the idea, concept, roleplay etc etc of the Pally, played a pally in every single RPG he's ever played. He soon came to realise that his idea of what a pally could and should do wasnt the same as what it did do in game. He eventually realised that rather than pray for the impossible that they would fix the Pally class the way he wanted it.. he rerolled as a Guardian and pretends (i guess) that he is virtuous and fighting for good and what not.

The point is wish for a DPS increase for Rangers in one hand.. and crap in the other.. smack em together and see what ya got.

If you want great raid DPS, betray to an assassin. if you want to be a noodle flinger, stay a ranger and learn to like the class the way it is.

just my opinion :)
  2. ARCHIVED-Sirlutt Guest

oh cmon now.. your missin out on alot of fun ;)

its really easy to Roleplay an assassin as a Ranger ... just dont use most of your abilities.. you'll have the DPS, and Ranged aspects of a Ranger !,... hehe.. and then for those times when your tired of puttin on the skirt and being the catcher .. you'll have the fun DPS to go bonkers :)
  3. ARCHIVED-Zholain Guest

Do you also suggest that when someone has a headache they simply visit the local guillotine?

I'm afraid your proposed solution is nothing more than an easy cop-out. Nothing against those rangers who have already betrayed. I even considered it myself for a while. But betraying doesn't solve the problem of a lack of viability in the class.
  4. ARCHIVED-Sirlutt Guest

it most certainly does. As a betrayed Ranger i am now 100% happy with the viability of the Ranger class :p **

** Sense of humor required.
  5. ARCHIVED-Zholain Guest

Considering that many of the rangers here were in strong support of assassins getting a boost back in t6, its difficult for me to find your method of helping as amusing.
    Message Edited by Zholain on 08-22-2006 01:49 PM
  6. ARCHIVED-Dragonsviperz Guest

*cough* I'm helping *cough*
    Sorry, I have hairballs from time to time....my Doctor doesn't know whats wrong with me. :D
  7. ARCHIVED-Zholain Guest

LOL Tig... It's noticed and appreciated
  8. ARCHIVED-Crychtonn Guest

That's easy to answer. Skratch is spiking your beers with small amounts poison so you won't taste it. In another month you'll be dead of mysterious causes and he will become the undisbuted assassin king of dissolution.
  9. ARCHIVED-Dragonsviperz Guest

WOOOT! I am accepted some where....
    I'm trying to think of anything that would help increase the ranger dps, and/or make them more desirable. By ways of AA's, CA's, buffs, minor utility, and even encounter scripts. Just anything that would maybe catch the eye of a dev and make them wonder. I just want an actual fix to rangers, not a nerf to assassins.
  10. ARCHIVED-Dragonsviperz Guest

I knew I tasted something weird...
  11. ARCHIVED-Gailstryder Guest

Hehe I like your help and your motives Tig! It is good to see you on our side. (BTW did you leave BB? Haven't seen you in forever so my guess is yes hehe.)
    I personally had a big discussion with some friends about betraying and when it was all said and done I couldn't do something like betray to my toon. Rhanin (myranger) is more to me than just a means of having fun and doing dps, those things are important and hand and hand but not everything. Ultimately if I fail to have fun on Rha I'll eventually just get down to it and make an alt (prolly a swash have an assassin who i don't really care for to be honest no offense intended) who will prolly wind up my new main. But rhanin is here to stay forever, I created him to be a ranger and he is the class I most wanted and still want to play from an rp aspect. I like the dps and mechanic's behind swashies, but hate that they are called swashies lol and the rp class feel that goes with it. If they were just a good ole simple rogue I could rp my own way without hte silly name misleading peeps then I prolly would have a swash alt at 70 already. Lol at this point I'm really wishing they add a few classes at some point though it may not be very practical. Going over all my options I would still choose Ranger first and the other options available drive me bonkers because they either have hte rp style I want or they have the abilities/effectiveness I want but not both. Ranger use to have both for me even pre lu13 and post lu13 was nice but in the end I wish they hadn't changed my [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] class so much and I was still playing the ranger I made. Change is good most of the time imo, but a lot of the change brought about to the Ranger since release just sucks lol. As of right now I am busy doing the best I can to make Rhanin effective, and I find myself making good leeway and I don't se myself changing mains anytime soon.
  12. ARCHIVED-Sokolov Guest

The analysis has already been done.

[IMG]

Using a damage / recycle time approach, this is the average DPS each class can pull in each area over 30s intervals.
  13. ARCHIVED-Snarks Guest

rangers should be at the very top of parsers, not because of their 'advantage' to fighting ranged, but because they have nothing else to offer

my belated 2c
  14. ARCHIVED-jarlaxle888 Guest

Now, let me make something clear to you and the other 'just betray' or 'we are fine' people:
    1) I like my class. I didn't say I disliked it. And, as I and others said before, taking the easy 'play another class' route doesn't solve any problems.
    2) A lot of times I'm on top of parse on the raids our guild does. Yesterday I looked at the parse of the whole evening, and I left our Assassins, our Necros, our Brigands, whatever you name, behind me.
    Thing is, I don't come along here and try to convince those guys from Dissolution and other high end guilds that Rangers are fine and dandy. Because my guild isn't high end yet. So I have no idea about that aspect, and that's what those guys are talking about. Why should I dispute what they see? Especially considering I CAN'T prove they are wrong, cause my guild is not there yet.
  15. ARCHIVED-Beneldar Guest

i dont know what yall are doing but the usefullness of a ranger in raids is nice range DPS and yes assassians can do more dmg then me but not much i can still hang with em what are they in range fights tho? uhh 100dps? where are we? yea
  16. ARCHIVED-Beneldar Guest

I think you mean the strength line. The agility line reduces CAST time of your arts. Teh strength line reduces recast time of all arts with 2 minute or more cast times. For Rangers this means Snipers and Veiled Fire.

Correction it affects Storm of arrows(Rain of arrows for you 70s) and Sniper shot
  17. ARCHIVED-Sokolov Guest

Assassins deal slightly over half the damage a ranger does in a Ranged only fight. But seriously, how many of those are there in the game? 1?
  18. ARCHIVED-Dragonsviperz Guest

1 that I can think of, and thats Chel'Drak. The Corsolander I don't even range anymore. I turn off auto attack jousting my BS's. If my ranged CA is up, I'll use it. But its mostly melee for me on that mob.
  19. ARCHIVED-Sokolov Guest

But, but, RANGED ADVANTAGE FTW!
  20. ARCHIVED-Gerdos Guest

Add in Korzak the Contructer, makes a tough fight extremely easy. Not necessarily a ranged only fight (none are), but making this a ranged only encounter, gives a huge advantage to the raid, allowing the rest of the raid to top up in preparation for Divine Mattron ... who is also a little easier to handle with range.