Why was set bonus disabled?

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by dirgenoobforreal, Nov 7, 2019.

1. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

Now that we have confirmation that its not a bug I think its a valid question to ask why set bonus was disabled?

Will it always be disabled? Having no set bonus AND no focus effects until red adornments in SF makes gearing even more bland, does it not?

Perhaps a developer can weigh in on why exactly disabling set bonuses on all the gear is a good idea and if the current gear will be looked at in the future.
  2. Rippit New Member

Because its the lazy route.
  3. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

Probably because the mechanic and itemization changes over the years have made it practically impossible for them to tune lower level gear/encounters to any degree of sanity without a boatload of work that would take longer than a single dev's Wednesday lunch hour to do.

That's not really a knock against the devs, they just have a finite amount of resources, and it's clear that Live gets the overwhelming majority of that.
  4. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

they changed all the gear to ho hum on the regular servers too, at least for the lower levels .
    Rhodris, NrthnStar5 and Breanna like this.
  5. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Any change to itemization for TLE always translates over to live. If we have an item missing a stat like crit bonus it's just because that state has been disabled on a server level.
  6. Naneeje Well-Known Member

These are the good ol' days. I am not trying to pump out a million more dps than the next character. I am trying to figure out how to get 50 dps more out of my Assassin. I went all AB Mod and said screw DPS/Haste stats and I clean up over everyone including a Swash on single target fights. So choices are still there. They are bland, there is no super sneaky way to be better or worse, but picking balances when our max average is less than 5k does make a difference. Missing a 100 overall dps proc on a weapon from level 50 at level 60 may make or break an overall parse when it's a 2k average.
    I am looking forward to Kunark. I think we really see some good directions to follow with gear so it isn't so dull. Use this time to relearn how to play with no AA :) lol.
  7. Testa23 New Member

Are you saying your average raid dps is 2k? And with a 2k parse you blow away others in your raid?
  8. Zenji Well-Known Member

What is your Assassin's name? I am curious to see how you geared him.
  9. Naneeje Well-Known Member

On Kaladim it is Bandosi, but it's not a main, so I feel you won't get the best representation.
    I can tell you, anything with ABMOD and some sort of dps/haste/MA was important to me. I made it up to 350 AB Mod before DoF came out and I was cleaning house. Still getting beat on AOE fights, but single target was great. My Assassinate averaged 23k and spiked to 29.9k, couldn't quite hit 30k with our group set ups. I am maining an Inquisitor for this expansion.
  10. Testa23 New Member

So in dof you were hitting 23k dps?
  11. Naneeje Well-Known Member

No no no... 23k average HIT. The average hit on Assassinate was 23k, not down in the teens like it is with no AB MOD gear. I think the average was 14k with no AB MOD before I swapped, but too many variables for a good test.
    Sorry if I mislead you,
  12. Priiice New Member

Is there any chance that the developers might reconsider enabling certain set bonuses? Even if it is difficult to balance the armor sets with combat benefits there were a couple casualties that didn't affect combat. For example, the Harmonious Blood Mail set out of DFC used to provide a +8% bonus to Selo's Accelerando. This was purely a novelty and fun and now it's dead. Regardless of your feelings about balancing combat, limiting fun in this way is distressing.
  13. Naneeje Well-Known Member

I'll be honest, I would have never caught on to that. to the point of the OP, I am not sure what Daybreak does with all the cash I give them every month, but I'm sure it was not intended to be so offensive to everyone. Hopefully, as we gain steam, which we are on Kaladim, (many raiding guilds, not just 1), the attention will go to focusing on us as a separate but equally providing entity.
  14. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Because it's easier to disable them under level 100 than to unlink all 24 sets of gear from the cloud mount.

A good compromise/a good idea would be to re-enable them starting in EoF.
  15. Somedude Active Member

Or, to have realized they should have despawned the cloud mount npc on Kaladim.
  16. Kittik Well-Known Member

Because in the time line of the game it hasn't been introduced yet.

Maybe?
  17. Zenji Well-Known Member

I don't think you understand the conversation going on here. You are correct, Cloud Mount gear was not in KoS back in 2006, but instead of removing the quest or actually balancing the items. They just deactivated all set bonuses pre level 100, which is was Rippit was calling lazy.
  18. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

[IMG]
    Wrong. Here is a screenshot of an item from back in EoF with set bonuses.

Set bonuses have always been a thing, the cloud mount gear however has not.

The set bonuses added to cloud mount gear way back in RoK(?) or TSO when the timeline was introduced were added to make leveling up easier for players.

The gear wasn't an issue on fallen gate because you didn't have a mere 2-5% increase in power per item from solo content to raid content.

The problem us players have is that the set bonuses are an way to make people actually think about their gear choices and decide if they want to break a set bonus to wear items, the set bonuses were also set at a 6 piece requirement, allowing you to pick which piece you wanted to be the last slot without breaking the set bonus.

This also goes deeper with TnT set bonuses, unicorn set bonus during EH, TSO has a myriad of cool set bonuses that made you do things like consider wearing a 2 set from this piece, a 4 from another for example. Now? You don't care, you don't think, it's just lazy itemization.

I really hope this is reconsidered by the time EoF rolls around.
  19. Kittik Well-Known Member

Completely agree.