Why the heck did they ...

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-RollerDog, Sep 22, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-RollerDog Guest

require that we use a taunt for our solo HO? Are they afraid that the mob will just quit fighting us if we don't taunt it?

Fury has a nice little solo HO that requires one of their two HOTs to start it and the other HOT to end it. Nice and useful for every single fight. While we have to waste a CA to get the HO bonus.

Something is fishy here.
  2. ARCHIVED-x0rtrunks Guest

It's been that way since the beginning. Monks are fighters. Fighters are tanks. Tanks taunt. I don't see what the big deal is here. In fact, when tanking, I usually start off with the HO because it's basically free damage added to your taunt, boosting your aggro. When soloing, it turns your taunt into damage as well. What's the problem?
  3. ARCHIVED-Weizen Heimer Guest

Actually this lets you get dmg from a ca that normally doesn't do dmg, so its a plus in a way. Just make sure not to lose an autoattack to get it in.
  4. ARCHIVED-Wolphin Guest

when i'm soloing or duoing on my monk or my zerker, i normally use my lowest level taunt (using less power) to complete the HO. When I group, i'll use my normal single or the group one to finish them normally...
  5. ARCHIVED-Junaru Guest

Wolphin wrote:
    See I tried this but the lower level taunts would always get resisted.
  6. ARCHIVED-Raidi Sovin'faile Guest

Also, the level of the Heroic Opportunity effect is based on the level of the ability used to set it off.

That's why when playing a scout, if you hit the same attack to set off the solo HO, you will get a "Won't affect target" message since the skill buff is the same or lower level.. a higher level attack sets off a higher level HO buff which supersedes the other one and you get no message. Also, you end up with higher bonus.

So doing an HO with a low level taunt will get you low level damage and a chance to be resisted anyways. I try to toss in my Group Taunt since it's a couple levels higher than the single target.

Also.. fitting in the HO starter costs no time (0 cast time) and fighter Taunts are ridiculously fast (0.25s normally, before any casting haste). So doing an HO should never interfere with autoattack on it's own.
  7. ARCHIVED-x0rtrunks Guest

Plus the HO for me has a chance to do 250+ dmg, which is a bit better than my auto attack anyway. Furthermore, there are actually at least 3 different HOs that we can trigger. The most common one is sky cleave, which is single target damage. The next one is a Area of encounter attack that is nice for holding group aggro. And third is Hero's Armor, which is a nice little buff.
  8. ARCHIVED-RollerDog Guest

Thanks for all the replies; however, it still looks to me like we are getting the short end of the stick compared to Furies (for example).
    There is no reason to cast a taunt while soloing. Sure, we get some damage from a CA that would normally not give us any but we have to waste the power and time to use that CA. Furies do not have to waste anything: DOT1, DOT2, HO damage. By definition, this means our DPS is getting diluted compared to theirs.
  9. ARCHIVED-x0rtrunks Guest

Did you miss my posts? Our HO has the chance to do an AOE attack, as well as a self mitigation buff. Both very useful and worth the power while soloing as well as grouping. I don't see it as diluting us at all. It'd be nice if there was some more development on HOs and they became a bit more useful than they are, because as it is now, barely anyone uses them or even knows how to use them, which is unfortunate, because it's a fun way to make combat more interesting and team oriented.
  10. ARCHIVED-Nocturnal Abyss Guest

We don't necessarily have "solo HOs." Our HOs can be used in group just as easily as they can solo. As you've heard reported, several people use them to help gain aggro. Stop thinking of them as "solo" HOs, and you might have an easier time with it. Not all of the HOs are useful. In the example you gave, most Furies won't need to cast another heal spell if they're killing a mob off with one, since their heal spells regen, and in truth, the most common priest HO is a nuke followed by another nuke. Imagine the frustration of some of the mages when the HO that requires them to cast an AoE to complete the HO comes up, and they're only fighting one mob. Then again, imagine if they are fighting more than one.
    Now back to the fighter. Using a taunt may seem like a waste if you're soloing, but it's very nice when grouping/duo-ing. The HOs are there as a perk, and to give a reward for the people who have learned to work together well enough to get some of the nicer abilities. For instance, when a priest and a scout are duo-ing, it's better to have the priest start the HO. When a fighter and a priest are duo-ing, it's important to watch who completes the HO, as most of the buffs will be given to the person who completes the HO, and more often than not, you'll want them to be on the fighter.
    HOs are a perk, don't get too worked up over them.
  11. ARCHIVED-Anjin Guest

It's a shame fighters don't get Swindlers Luck (the medium rare Scout HO). It's a +melee buff for 6 minutes, which fighters probably need more than scouts tbh (considering they are more likely to be in a defensive stance and therefore have lower +melee skills.
  12. ARCHIVED-mattmandude Guest

I kind of feel like using HO's when I solo is a waste of pow.