Why the 1.8+ Gb Installs for US-based Servers?

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I'd played in US servers like, yesterday. It was fine, no problem, everything running smoothly. I'd played in EU servers yesterday. Fine, no problem, everything loaded, whoopee. Smooth, easy transition to rapid game entry (good, since Frostfell is winding down, and I still have things to do). Very cool, surprisingly efficient. :)

This afternoon. Mere hours to go before Frostfell poofs. Go from EU, where everyone's finished up there, back to the US and my home servers. 1.8+ Gb worth of install files. ?????????

Most of this nonsense is "paks/OP3EnglishVoiceOverXX.vpk," where "XX" is some number from the low single digits to into the 30s currently. Whatever the hell they are, they're apparently huge, and I don't see the need for them, especially since they almost always a) hang everything and have to be re-created (every time I have install problems/issues, it's because of them, historically), b) aren't broken down into smaller, more manageable chunks as installations have been in the past (not everyone owns a Cray supercomputer, o Powers), c) aren't handled by deleting the login cache (I guess that solution is much like "just turn it off and on! Reboot it! That'll fix any computer problem!" but one can hope).

How do I bypass this so I can actually get in to play before 7 am PST tomorrow? :-/

Uwk
    Febrith and Simparri like this.
  2. Simparri Active Member

I've been wondering myself about those massive download sizes when switching servers for last few years, since I started playing on EU server as well as US servers. I see no reason for them to be unable to download the major files only once(until they were changed later) & just have both sets in the EQ2 folder & just pick which set to use per game session.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Seriously, this is insane. I've played in both regions since the last patch/maintenance/update/hamster "motivational session" ("More whips! And they need to be BRIGHT red-hot, dammit, not just cherry-red!")/etc., nothing in my computer changed, and here I am tonight/this morning, praying that switching from playing in the EU for a bit over to the US wasn't a dumb maneuver that won't get me in before the servers go down here at 7 am. I've only got 6 hours... X-P

I really, really don't want to have to have 3 separate copies of the game again on my hard drive, like I did during Frostfell (US, EU, and Test; it was the ONLY way to get between the servers to my various toons quickly enough); each one does tend to clutter up the place a bit. :-/

Maybe I'd only need two: the US/Test and EU...or at least, have separate instances of EQ2.exe or something. 'Cause seriously, this is stupid. :-/

Uwk
    Febrith likes this.
  4. Febrith Well-Known Member

Well nothing's been done to fix it - it's infuriating having to wait so long for such massive downloads. So you overcame this by having two separate installs of the game on your hard drive Uwk, one for EU and one for US?
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, basically I sat through quite awhile of copying over all the files, then keeping one version in the US region and the other in the EU region. During Frostfell I had a third one for Public Test, since I was bouncing around between all three for the Santa Glug daily gifty scheduling. When you have dozens and dozens of alts, Excel and a good second hand on your computer clock display are your friends. ;->

Uwk
    who usually took 2-5 minutes, max., getting between regions that way, rather than 2-5 hours... :-/
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah! Finally found an older thread (from 2015) that's a lot more technical than my "Oh, just make a couple of copies. Heh. :confused:":

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/launchpad-forgetfulness.566579/

Basically, it was me forgetting how, precisely, to do/undo such a thing after Frostfell was over. Now I see I need to apparently keep it going all year 'round, but the suggestions about what to do re: screenshots, etc. weren't bad. ;->

Uwk
    who ain't gonna delete ANYTHING character-related, but may pop such things down onto a different drive :D
  7. Febrith Well-Known Member

Aaah thanks Puss for the help - now I've cracked it - a separate install of the US servers - wow what a time saver that's turned out to be - thanks a bunch:)
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Cool! Good to hear! :)

It took about half an hour or so to make the copy; I logged in on the copy to the EU region and got in after about 5-6 minutes. :D

Oh, and yeah, I did do some trimming; not sure what Beta server stuff and LoN were still doing there, but after ditching them, I went from over 60 Gb to under 45. :)

Uwk
  9. Febrith Well-Known Member

Nice:) Well for now I'll just keep the separate installs on my computer and log in to the US one periodically (even when I'm not visiting to do videos) just to keep it updated - genius! And thanks again:)
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

You're welcome! Glad to hear you got it to work! :)

Uwk
    whose biggest single directory was all those silly "paks" things...I blame the Art Department :-/