Why restrict available data?

Discussion in 'EQ2Players.com Website Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Thunderthyze, May 10, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Thunderthyze Guest

Why are people given the ability to deny others access to their characters' information? Surely this goes against the ethos of the internet towards open access?
    I can only see one possible defensible argument for the status quo and that is to aid an individual in avoiding a stalker, but that could just as easily be achieved by petitioning and having CS police the matter. Otherwise, the feature is usually taken advantage of by those wishing to hide something.
    I would prefer all character information to be made freely available and indeed extended to include guild membership history. When people know that there is nowhere they can hide their dirty laundry maybe they will take care of their own behaviour a little better.
  2. ARCHIVED-Dreyco Guest

Holymoly@Runnyeye wrote:
    When I roll a private alt, it is my business. Not anybody elses. It is often done to have some quite time, and I don't want that interrupted by folks who can just pull up my alt list and look.
    Sorry; the nature and choices in regards to their own privacy is up to the user.
  3. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

Holymoly@Runnyeye wrote:
    The argument of "if you have nothing to hide then you need no privacy" is completely and utterly false.
    If you really want to take your anti-privacy compaign further, you should demand player details be included, too. Because then the players would know there is "no where they can hide their dirty laundry..."
  4. ARCHIVED-arksun Guest

So you get burned by a bad recruit/member and you want everyones history to be public. While you're at it why don't we show everyone's CC numbers and home address?
    Everyone should be allowed to have their privacy if they want it.
  5. ARCHIVED-Netheir Guest

talk about toon data? thats fine. i dont see any valid reason to hide info like last online date, leaderboards stats or gear.
    what about account data? now thats privacy. everyone should be able to hide data that is related to their account like alt list etc
  6. ARCHIVED-Brook Guest

Holymoly@Runnyeye wrote:
    Not to try and argue if it should or shouldn't be allowed, but I have to wonder why would this be important to you?
    Is it really any of your business who I am in the game?