Why play a Berserker over a Monk? (honest input needed)

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Idrasticl, Mar 25, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Idrasticl Guest

First of all, I'm asking this seriously; not posting this to bait flames, etc. I honestly want input and points to consider, as I am a noob to eq2 :)

I want 1 thing as far as my char goes - a dps fighter that does massive dmg output - I dont care about tanking ability at all really. Mainly interested in 1v1 PvP fights (not really epic PvE raids, or huge PvP battles)

ATM, I have a lvl 9 Berserker and a Lvl 6 Monk. From what I've read, everyone is telling me that Monk will suit what I'm after better than a Zerker. So far, I tend to agree - Monk has great dmg output and even self heals.

So, my question to you guys is: What good reasons are there for playing a Berserker over a Monk? I wanna make sure Im not missing anything here. Could you guys enlighten me a little :)
  2. ARCHIVED-zaboron Guest

massive damage output, no tanking? roll a scout.
  3. ARCHIVED-ios_gr Guest

I second that.
  4. ARCHIVED-Idrasticl Guest

OK, I get what you guys are saying

but if you had to answer the question in the context of a Fighter - what would it be?

Also, for solo'ish PvP, is a Scout a better choice? I figured most Fighter classes would still pwn them 1v1... yes/no?
  5. ARCHIVED-The Moor Guest

Perhaps the brusier may suit you better. More dmg and a better self heal
  6. ARCHIVED-Bewts Guest

Fighter?
    High DPS?
    PK Server?

Shadow Knight and Harm Touch. Mages fear you, Scouts cringe. Priests, well lets hope they have reactives/wards up to live through a HT. Only issue you'd run into is other SK's and fighters with a massive resist line to... disease? Shoot at level 70 a SK can debuff disease by over 1k, then drop a HT and few opponents can live through one of those. Even if someone resists that wearing plate leaves you some leeway to handle any melee classes.

Brawlers for PvP looking at exclusively Fighter Archetypes? Shadow Knight is a better choice. A bad roll on avoidance from the start puts every brawler behind the eight ball scrambling to make up for the spike in damage. Even with self heals, ripostes, wards you'd still be hard pressed as a brawler to make up for getting caught off guard.
    As a brawler, giving ANY mage the first shot means a lot of trouble.
    Scouts... well if you get snared or rooted you better hope you are a monk and cast your cure before they get a dot on you and you can't cure away the snare/root
    Priests... better hope you can keep em chain stunned/stifled (bruiser best at stifle there) or they will just keep healing until you are OOP.
    Other fighters, its a toss up how long your avoidance gets good rolls before you run into trouble with some big hits.

Bottom line, I wouldn't play a brawler on a PvP server, but if I had to choose between the two I'd pick a Monk specifically because of self invis, ward, riposte. At least if I get jumped unaware I have a chance of recovering where as with a bruiser you better turn and bash their heads in before you die or tuck tail and hope you can outrun them.
  7. ARCHIVED-Thumatos Guest

Huh . monk = no scout

But anyway , see the message with 30 replies half a page down
    Message Edited by Thumatos on 03-26-200603:18 AM
  8. ARCHIVED-Wiou Guest

For PVP, don't play a berserker over a monk.
  9. ARCHIVED-Gungo Guest

for PvP i second shadowknight snares and stuns do wonders in pvp
  10. ARCHIVED-Code2501 Guest

All things being equal I see my monk dps being about even with berserker dps. Their procs can be fearsome. If PvP is what you want though, from everything i've read SK rules.
  11. ARCHIVED-DarkMirrax Guest

Bruiser if you want a fighter class but i would definatly reccomend a scout class as it sounds more what your looking for