Why nerfs happen... maybe

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Owain, Feb 2, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Owain Guest

Hello Fellow Monks!

After the first Big Patch nerfed the 'Zerker class to bits, I put my lvl31 'Guardian-Lite' on ice and started a Brawler. I now I have a 27 monk and frankly prefer it even over the pre-nerfed 'Zerker. Or I did. Now I'm afraid that I might have to go back to the tin-can feller.

Anyway it seems to me that the real reason these major changes occur is not to address 'game balance', but to stop people levelling so rapidly. Once you think of it this way, every single change since launch begins to make sense. Unfortunately, SoE is so concerned with making the game hard enough to prevent players from 'finishing' it (ie get to level 50) before the expansion packs are ready, that they have failed to grasp that the single quickest way to lose players is to 'nerf' them. After all, who wants to put hours and hours into making a character more powerful only to have that character weaker than it was before?

Look back over the Berserker boards to see how the first nerf felt...Maybe SoE just wants us all to keep re-rolling characters and paying for the pleasure.:smileyvery-happy:

I still really like this game and appreciate the vast amount of effort that has gone into its creation and maintenance...but I just wish they'd stop 'balancing' and leave us to enjoy it in peace.

Annaspider xx

ps. After Nerf One, I thought about trying WoW - but was scared of the Cartoons-R-Us visuals. Has anyone played it, and is it any good for RP-ers?
  2. ARCHIVED-Craaq Guest

It's probably things like monks soloing things like The Brood Mother and 6 adds and only getting hit once for 770 that set off the red lights at SOE to crack the nerf bat out...but that's just my opinion.
    Message Edited by Craaq on 02-02-2005 04:34 PM
    Message Edited by Craaq on 02-02-2005 05:20 PM
    Message Edited by Craaq on 02-02-2005 05:21 PM
  3. ARCHIVED-Fleaball Guest

I agree, too much bragging about how uber you are over everyone else...and you'll get the big ol' nerf bat along side the head. Lil tip for everyone out there..if you are pwning everything in sight. SHHHHH keep it to yourself. :p
  4. ARCHIVED-Lebru1 Guest

Who was bragging and who solo'd the brood mother ? are there screenshots? or was it all hear say.
    Agil needed to be adjusted but not to this degree. Ive been attacked by the BroodMother while harvesting before the patch and it was everything i could do to get off FD before it killed me. Now after the patch im dead before i can even fd.

At 47 she is a green con so i should beable to take few hits and get Fd off. While i was there i watched a mystic and guardian duo her. The kicker they were level 42, so last night i decided to see how well i could do with a 45 mystic friend on the broodmother. Take a guess what happend. Thats right we had to run

So balance = any plate class and a mystic can duo group mobs 4 to 6 levels higher. Yet a monk (47) and a mystic cant because we get hit alot harder. How in the world that is balanced is beyond me. I think being 5 levels higher should allow me to tank better am i wrong?
  5. ARCHIVED-Izus Guest

I'm sure they will address the agility nerf again since it's obviously broken on the other extreme.
    Specifically answering your question that I quoted. I bought WoW after the patch (was suprised to actually find a copy) and tried it. It's definately got a cartoonish feel and in the few hours I played I was challenged to 4 duels and got one random guild invite. So the idiot factor seems extremely high. This was on a normal server and not a roleplaying server so it might be better on a dedicated roleplay server.
    The game is smooth and doesn't require zoning between areas. It's much easier to play and seems like a dummied down version of EQ2. However, you probably won't get smacked with the nerf bat as hard or as often in WoW. It doesn't seem to be a bad game but EQ2 will probably keep you interested much longer than WoW. I prefer EQ2 prior to this last patch over WoW.
  6. ARCHIVED-Morrizar Guest

Gage provided DPS logs and screenshots of him soloing Broodmother/guards. But he also plainly said that his other lvl 50 friends can do the same. This wasn't a direct monk nerf anyway + Gage said he can still kill her just not as easily :p.
  7. ARCHIVED-Cisgo Guest

I agree 100% about the powerlvling , board bragging monks that bring attn. to the class and cause adjustments (nerfs). I have seen it from the start of EQ1 and the same is shifting to EQ2. If you have a good thing going, you better off keeping it to yourself, rather than looking for attention from these boards on saying what you can kill and do. Another funny thing is that I see alot of advice given here from the powergamer monks that is not always correct. Pretty comical that just because you didn't move from your computer for the first 2 months of this game's release, you are anointed as some kind of guru.
    This is not intended to flame, but if shoe fits, my suggestion is to keep some of your accomplishments to yourself. I really don't want to see these boards fill up with brags, then whines from the same posters. Seen enough of that.
    Above all just have fun, and you powergamers, go get some air.
  8. ARCHIVED-Craaq Guest

9. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Yeah and I've said plenty of times it needs to be changed.
    The problem lies in the fact if one, yes ONE class can solo a group mob reliably then all classes have to be able to.
    While they have all but taken that from us I read post after post about other classes solo'ing right along.
    In fact I saw a Warlock post in their forums the other day that he was killing BLUE named mobs in about 5mins, heh.
    Also a fury posted in their forums that she had been reliably solo'ing green groub mobs after the patch.
    As much as I would like to believe the devs monitor my posts and hang on every word I say /sarcasm I doubt that is the case as they have proven time and time again to be able to ignore the vast majority of this board.
    So while you would single handedly credit me with the agility nerf (thank you, thank you, /bow) I'm sure there might have been a few thousand other things that ultimately led to the change. (Like perhaps tons of scouts posting pics of themselves tanking ++ red named mobs?).
    ;)
  10. ARCHIVED-Craaq Guest

Not singleing out you, I said "It's probably things" , if I wanted to single you out completely I'd say "it's definitely this post" that led to the nerf. It was that and the hundreds of other posts/screen shots like it that led the developers to say ,"Hey something wrong here." I picked a monk post cause this is the only forum I usually read.