Why make it so hard on returning players?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Vuetee, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hmm! That's a thought...and the panda exploration things are easy, even for lower-level toons if you have flight or leaper mounts, since you get credit for discovering a place even in mid-air. ;->

Still, it's nice to have a few 90th+ toons here and there... ;->

Uwk
    who finally broke down and started buying the expacs again at KA and still is, mostly for the houses/building blocks and always when they go on sale ;)
    Cyrrena, Breanna and Soara like this.
  2. Soara Member

Well I stopped at PoP and unsubbed, so I had to do all 28 of mine (test server included) in one weekend before my gold ran out. lol The PoP faction quests I chose on all of them were the yrzu ones, it gets easier and faster on each one of course, when you know where you are going. Since I had paid for a year on both accounts, only one of mine is out atm. The other goes at the end of January. I figure since I have 12 more to work on for all the crafting mess I just have to have, gold isn't needed this year, and neither is CD. Hopefully you don't have the whole gold running out issue and can leisurely get them to 101. I easily burn myself out and get all bitter lol
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Nope, these were from the summer ethereal event. You got them by grinding heroics and event heroics etc. this past summer:
    [IMG]

The things most people would want to get with these coins are:
    [IMG]
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah! Okay, cool...kind of like the Void Shard stuff from way back when. ;->

Got it. Thanks! :)

Uwk
    Soara and Breanna like this.
  5. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I lived in Ireland at the time. I moved to the US with a company I worked for. My memory is not faulty in the least. Please be polite. We are talking 2 different things. I was speaking of selling items and you are talking about duping.

Also I did not mention duping. I said the sale of everything in the game was encouraged, they did not have a website where we could sell things, we used eBay and PayPal. There was even a castle created by Lord British and Lord Blackthorn that was inside of the guard zone that was auctioned on eBay by Origin/EA.
  6. Revel Well-Known Member

?????
    Soara likes this.
  7. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Yes, I forgot that I mentioned that, but we did not have checks and all that stuff in the beginning so we did not have check duping. I apologize for my oversight about mentioning the duping. I played from alpha until May of 2009 and did not suffer from any duping and I was mainly on Pacific and Catskills. I was a blue robe for Europa and Oceania and then became a red robe in January of 2006. I only played on the other servers if a person that ran a website that sold resources, needed something specific on other servers than the 4 I mentioned. I rarely played on Great Lakes.

You are correct, I did mention duping and I apologize that when I reread my post I did not realize that. My post was mainly to point out that selling of anything in game was not only allowed but encouraged by Origin/EA.
  8. Daalilama Well-Known Member

TBH we all kinda understand the destination the dev team wants us to get to (understand does not equate to agree) but the main problem is the path in which to get there which seems designed for a community that is no longer in their early teens or freshman year of college so the time commitments are illogical at best.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Exactly! Exactly. This isn't an issue like Men are From Azeroth, Women are From Norrath; more like No Country for Young Kids [Who Get Bored Easily Once They've "Won"], though there have been cheeringly notable exceptions in more than a few young people (I say "young" as in "anyone in the 13->18 demographic or younger"). ;)

Uwk
  10. Aeii New Member

I think the answer is one key dev has an idea that time consumption is how one measures the quality of what they are doing. This living in parents basement mentality is not fun for most people addictive as it may be. I am trying to get back into Eq2, ive paid for a year. But im afraid to make a character because i dont know what the heck is going on and if I'll find I made this individual devs least favorite class and picked the wrong server to just simply solo on. Reason I quit the game years ago was because I was competing with my 8 hour a day avg against the second guild guardian with a 10 hr a day average and then one day we needed to invite a Pally to clear a small part of content then we kicked him from group because he wasnt needed or helpful.. This sort of "balance" has to be removed from the development staff and still sounds like it is in the game.
    Juraiya and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  11. Aeii New Member

From reading what you said there it seems to me the changes being made are applying to the entire game. Rather than bumping HP is certain zones at higher level, the devs think a 5% universal modification to all NPCs is something worth trying.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You are all making a fundamental mistake in your thinking. They're not making things so you have to play 8 hours each day, they're trying to make it so that the expansion continues challenging us, hopefully until next summer at least.

Yes, some people are trying to get raid-ready instantly, and that's a big stress-inducing money-pit, for the most part. But if you don't raid, you can take your time getting geared. And you know what? Waiting hath its privileges also, because sometimes along the way they bend to player pressure and make some things easier.

So, for example, you can take your time with the overland zones, getting all the exploration, kilroy, cataloging quest, and dropped-quest achievements. Do the adventure and tradeskill sig lines. None of this needs any set amount of Resolve.

While you are doing that, you hopefully will be harvesting and doing daily tradeskill quests to get recipes, so you will be able to make some things for yourself and commission other crafters to make stuff for you to get you into a full set of Academic gear, which gives you the Resolve you need for Heroic T1 (you will need more Potency, but you'll get that).

As you play, hopefully you will be transmuting and salvaging gear you don't need, and making weapons essences out of unneeded weapons you get. The adventure sig line gets you a nice offhand, and when you have enough Archivists' Tremissis you can upgrade that offhand, and start weapon-infusing the offhand. Weapon infusing boosts Resolve and Potency.

When you get enough transmuted materials and salvagers, you (or a hired crafter) can make upgraded adornments, and also Reconstructed Infusers that you use to boost your Academic gear. Infusing can boost STA, POT, ABMod, and Crit Bonus.

At some point, your stats will be good enough to venture into T1 Heroics, where you will get gear upgrades, and that will ready you for T2, and so on.

The only issue is in how you frame this. If you think of it as a voyage that you're supposed to enjoy in a leisurely fashion, rather than attempting to be all über at once, it ain't so bad.
  13. Dead Alt Account Well-Known Member

You are the one making the fundamental mistake in your thinking. There is absolutely nothing challenging or entertaining about infusions, experimentations, etc. to obtain the stat requirements to play the game. It is a mindless, skill-less, and boring waste of time. It's certainly not worth paying a sub to play.
    Vuetee, Ursa Minor, Soara and 5 others like this.
  14. Twisty Well-Known Member

You sound dissatisfied. Not only in this post, but longer term, just by scanning your list of posts. Good news: there is a reasonable way out of your doldrums and onto excitement plateau, should you be a (wo)man of action. Find 5 other individuals of appropriate classes that share your distaste for grindy gear progression systems of non-vanila eq2 and go tackle heroic content. It won't be trivial to find these 5, but judging by number of likes across all your posts, you should be able to get enough on your server with a lil' advertising.

You sound like a person that likes a challenge, so this will kill both birds for you. I promise it's doable with right set of people, taking right progression steps, and I promise you it'll be challenging.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  15. quisling Well-Known Member

Huh...i sorta think its easier this time around on my alts. I've done very little for my alts and already have enough resolve and potency to raid...Now, he wont be winning any parses in raids, but hes also not just garbage either.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  16. Dead Alt Account Well-Known Member

Another empty, meaningless post from you.
  17. Tupperbeast Active Member

You do not really want to say for yourself that this is a constant unnecessary grind or farming fun for any thing, why in the last 3 years there are more and more dissatisfied players asking you why, EQ2 has lost its appeal in sight of MMO what it was one and was fun. Personally, I find the Raid play in EQ2 totally over the top. Many players get in as if it were real work just to be better, then things like real money come in to build a char, the only one who really has a profit is Daybreak and they laugh at such stupid people who put a lot of money into it into a virtual world. The game is a hobby for many that should be fun and not serious or end up breathing out, except for bot players who have to continue to sell or buy their kronos and sell platinum on third pages where unfortunately Daybreak does nothing, why is easy money the world reacts people are not ****.

And that's the truth, even if many do not like to see and hear, and yes, for newcomers, the game is not as easy as many think.

Every day you can see on servers how players search in vain for groups and why you are not taken with them, because the ignorant and wrong thinking of the players prevents them, and thus people stop not in vain has EQ2 more than 10000 in recent yearsLost accounts.

And now maybe you should reconsider your post where you have @ Dead Old Account approached because of his comment.

He's right about what he's saying in one direction but many of you are still running around in EQ2 wearing pink red glasses.

And I'm a player for 14 years and just play for fun because the excitement of what I want and DB does not get the suspense keeps the game in the Heroic content on hardcore basis to play more.

And before you say it again you have to recognize the content, yes English is not my first language.

Despite everything, I like to play in English as a European Server.

And now have fun kill stuff in Norrath and in Farming Stuff :p

Meneltel and Rhodris like this.
  18. Tommara Active Member

Implosion is quite beautiful to watch too. I've never liked an ability as much as I do Implosion. It's glorious!
    Pixistik and Soara2 like this.
  19. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Yes it is. I love etherialist
    Pixistik and Tommara like this.
  20. Tommara Active Member

Actually, I have plenty of time to play games.

What disturbs me is that DESPITE THE FACT THAT I HAVE TIME TO DO WHATEVER IT TAKES, the fact that I was not playing during the Summer Ethereal event means that I will never be as viable in a group as those who were.