Why make it so hard on returning players?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Vuetee, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Niami may have an idea, but I have only seen the book in PoP thus far. Unlike a lot of other PoP rewards that keep appearing for CD content, /sigh.
    Soara and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. Denon Active Member

Thanks Sigrdrifa

I think the Equipment Infusing and all the tiers/layers for just that single mechanic is a pretty good example of the OP's original point on how this game would be pretty overwhelming to a returning player. You cant just jump in and play like the earlier days of EQ2. - You have to do a bunch of research on all these mechanics to get back into the game and be successful, especially if you intend to group.

I have been getting questions from returning people in game about different things like Infusing / Reforging / Experimenting / Resolve / Fervor / Deity ... I point them to your Wiki when I know the link to the topic.

On a side note: I am not exactly sure how a returning player would get their Fervor up. I took a break from grouping for a few years and was gearing up to get back into it. I have been able to get my resolve / pot up through master crafted refine/experiment/reforge/infuse ... but my Fervor is still pretty low at around 100. Any suggestions?
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Not my wiki, it's everybody's wiki. Anyone can edit, add new material, etc.
  4. Bloodguts Well-Known Member

I can attest to this. Fervor has been my biggest hurdle getting back into this game. Unable to get the Planar Fragments to upgrade Awakened Abilities and unable to get any of the Ethereal Fervor Runes that were available this summer.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I think what people are doing who are Real Serious is sending a toon to Isle of Refuge server, buying the stuff for Real World $, then transferring back.
  6. Soara2 Well-Known Member

7. wiouxev2 Active Member

Credit given where it's due.

This expansion is a lot easier than KA and PoP for returning players. Like a ton. That deserves some praise.

But it still needs a bit more. There is just an enumerable amount of systems, stats, etc that to *really* make a new player on a *reasonable* playing field, there is a lot to hand out. And frankly, as someone who did 90% of that work over the last decade or two, im okay with it. I want more players around.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I took a peek at what it costs to do the whole "transfer to IoR, buy stuff, and transfer back" schtick:

XFER to IoR = DBG$500 (US$5)
    XFER back = DBG$2450 (US$24.50)
    10 Krono = US$170
    = US$199.50

Rune of the Enigma = 100 Planar Ethereal Coin, 7,500p, 100K status
    Planar Ethereal Breastplate = 20 Planar Ethereal Coin, 1,000p, 150K status
    Planar Ethereal Pauldrons = 20 Planar Ethereal Coin, 1,000p, 150K status
    Ethereal Armor Essence = 1 Planar Ethereal Coin, 25p, 15K status (need 405 each)
    = 29,750p
    = 12,550,000 status
    = 950 Planar Ethereal Coin (~15,000p on IoR today) = 14,250,000 + 29,750p = 14,279,750p
    = ~8.4 Krono, assuming Krono value @ ~ 1.7m plat
    Conifur, Soara and Breanna like this.
  9. Tupperbeast Active Member

Anyone who claims that Fervor is a big advantage, I myself have some chars and none of them has nearly the fervor values as raid players or this last summer have made the event, but the fun part is that for example my necro dmg as much as makes others with 200 fervor.

Go away from the thought that you need 200 fervor or more with even with your 100 fervor you are well on the way and can do harm, the addon is no longer fixed on fervor only all mean it.
    Bring Potency - Crit Bonus - Crit Chance - AB Mode upwards and make sure that depending on the class you have your values on max like DC or Flurry but also autoattack plays a role once again who gets to deal with his char it will not get in vain to get a buff.

That's the problem at the moment is just too much talk about what who and not need test it itself is still the best way, and takes you times ACT at Hand.

Soara likes this.
  10. Bloodguts Well-Known Member

What I've been saying in my previous posts is that I can do harm, but not as much as healers or utility classes due to my lack of Fervor. I have over 72k potency now and 1500 resolve with all my other stats pretty much balanced but my lack of Fervor is not allowing me to get groups to do t2 or event heroic content. Even in t1s my damage is highly questionable when compared to these other classes that are not pure damage dealers.
    Soara and Dead Alt Account like this.
  11. Tommara Active Member

Well, if that is what is required for returning players to catch up and if what Bloodguts is saying is correct, this may be the last time I return, unless that problem is corrected.

I've only been playing solo/duo content so far and have been trying to get a character group worthy. I have a 110 paladin, templar, mystic, and ranger. My husband has a 110 fury. We have a bevy of 90+ between us. Between the two of us, we have all crafters at 110 with the CD tradeskill quests completed, and do have most of their Advanced Studies recipes, except for provisioner, which I have at level 100. The toon I'm trying to get ready for grouping is a 106 coercer (and is also the provisioner at 100), who used to be in a progression raiding guild, and so was fairly fleshed out for a level 80, and has a group role that I can handle without having had experience in any particular zone, whereas taking a tank who's clueless about each fight would be a disaster.

Despite extensive reading of forums and use of google, neither of us had any idea that provisioners had anything useful to make (of course, the food and drink, but from the profits we've made with the other crafters, that's been trivial to buy), so I greatly appreciate the information on the infusers, and will now make it a priority to get my provisioner to 110.

However, this issue about Fervor concerns me a lot since it sounds like all the resources we have between the two of us are to no avail. We are both subscribers, but that's about as far as either of us will go towards "Pay to Win", much less "Pay to Get into a Group".
  12. Dead Alt Account Well-Known Member

How so? KA and PoP didn't have these ridiculous stat hurdles that required infusions/experimentations/craft items, or fervor gear purchased from IoR. You ran the quests, got your gear, ran heroics and that was pretty much it.
  13. Revel Well-Known Member

Your memory is quite a bit faulty. There was plenty of duping going on in UO. Not of rare items that could be tracked, but stackable things whose item id changed every time they were recombined, like diamonds or checks. As a long time Great Lakes player I knew many a person duping 1 million gold checks. When T2A and the recsu recdu dupe bug came out it only got easier. There is a reason the price of 1 million gold went from $200 to less than $20 in the span of a year and a half. Long after UO was relevant, it got even EASIER to dupe items. Once server transfers came, there was a way to transfer a character to another server and effectively keep the old character, essentially allowing you to dupe a character and everything in its backpack. Switching servers changed the id of every item (because it might have been in use on the new server) and thus became untracable.

If you live in the U.S. (or lots of other countries) you're aware this is felony level tax fraud right?
    Soara and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Blink? A) we shouldn't have to do this, that's ridiculous; and b) I thought we couldn't transfer off of Isle of Refuge? :-/

Uwk
    Juraiya, Soara and Rhodris like this.
  15. Ruckus Well-Known Member

I have over 1100 extra "summer ethereal" coins on my main on HoF server. I'd love to be able to hand them over to a few friends who missed out on the event, thanks to RL getting in the way of the game. This shuffling back and forth to IoR is just BS and there should be a way for those who missed out on the summer grind for coins to be able to earn them without a cash grab.
  16. Revel Well-Known Member

A) You're right we shouldn't, and it is
    B) $5 to transfer to IoR, and $30 to transfer off (Must also wait 30 days)

Oh, but you get that sub perk and a 10% discount, making everything better!
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Are these the things we get from doing the panda "exploration" runs? 'Cause those are like the Loyalty Tokens and are account-wide, and are never really "spent," but are probably just counters for them to keep track of how many of those excursions we've done. As far as I can see, they're not really used to buy anything off his list (unlike the Loyalty Tokens, which are actually "currency")? :-/

Uwk
    who only goes for the house items and the occasional familiar thing anyway... ;->
    Breanna and Soara like this.
  18. Soara Member

Only house items? nope. The divine buffs, yes. The ascension freebie levels, yes. The orange adorns, yes. These things show up in the panda's merchant window when u hit lvl 100 and more when you hit 101. He offers a total of 31 free ascension levels. Come on, that is worth doing alone. And you can get them on ALL your characters on that account. I have 13 on one and 7 on another so that is 620 free ascension levels there, that's just on live, for boxing these quests once per each quest. Although, some of the house items are pretty good, like the lady plushie one, these things are expensive and other items offered were sold on marketplace for REAL cash. So, even the house items, yes. (hint, maybe people that can't pay for gold would pay you to drop these items in their homes)
    But all that said, no the ethereal summer coins are much different then the exploration panda quests. If I am correct, and mind you I have not gone this far, they are coins earned by ubers during the summer in heroic or tough zones that they can use to buy more fervor, which apparently makes or breaks us later in life.
    And I wouldn't doubt if the game itself was the ones selling these coins on IoR,
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ahh...probably true. :-/

And yeah, my level 100+ toons have glanced occasionally at the gear, but the grand majority of them were, I blush to admit, "bought" level 100s with Tokens, whose provided stuff is better than the panda stuff, and I don't bother with any of the other things; I have no Ascended toons at all, and only...hmm........six 100s (no pluses, come to think, just exactly 100 [adventuring anyway]) out of 101 toons on Gold (my Bronze/Silver "kids" are rarely above 10th, poor things), and three of them are on Test. ;->

If I grouped these days at all with 100+ folks, I might be more concerned, but I hardly ever group nowadays without mentoring down, which is fine, and haven't with anyone other than various fellow guildies for years, literally (the last PuG I was in started well enough, but then the older brother of the kid got involved...oy. Disaster, imho). And I don't molo, though I have unlocked mercs for the simple unholy glee of being able to someday torment both Qho and Raffik, though sadly they can't both be hired at the same time by the same toon. Darn... ;->

So, instance-wise, I basically dive into some place where I know it's either grey or green to me, and usually don't unless there's something I need in there, like a plunderable house item. ;->

Uwk
    who's forever resisted instance running just for the sake of levelling and raiding and isn't about to change that :D
    Breanna, Seefar and Soara like this.
  20. Soara Member

Unless you don't have KA on the gold account, I think you would love to go ahead and get the freebie ascension levels. They offer some more AoE spells and other spells, and increase your damage pretty well there. Plus while you are piddling around, much like me, you can research them to higher tiers, your favorite ones, and if you decide later to play more with others, you will have them already upgraded some. I honestly don't know what I would do without etherflash, lol Ever since I got that spell, I was instantly in love and had to have it on all mine. That one is etherialist, lvl 3 spell. If the panda quests are just too much, well tbh I did all the first summer's ones but only what I needed to do of the 2nd round to get the 85 divine buffs. These also make your character much much stronger. And, you only have to be lvl 101 to get the most out of these, which took me 3 quick PoP faction quests with AA slider on 0 to AA for each of my lvl 100s.
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.