Why I Have Multiple Accounts

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Almee, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Almee Well-Known Member

A number of people have questioned why I have multiple accounts and tonight is a good example of how this happened. When my family started playing EQ, back in the days of the dinosaurs, there was a lot of down time waiting for mobs.

Twiddling our thumbs has never been a favorite past time so my husband and I got two accounts, each, and the kids each got one. Today, the kids are grown and too busy to play. My husband passed on, 6 years ago, so I have 6 accounts available.

And tonight is one of those times when this is handy because of the bonuses. I have one character parked in Chomper's Pond, waiting for the big lug to spawn. I was grouped, earlier, with other players but for some reason I didn't get credit for the kill so I'm doing it again.

While I wait, I'll be logging on all my toons I parked in KP, to get the guide quest, and getting them back to my crafting house.

I never intended to have so many accounts, or characters, but life happens. I usually sub to my two main accounts and use FTP for the other accounts which I play when I'm waiting around with one of my main characters.

Sometimes it gets a little confusing, having so many accounts and characters, but it works for me. Not only do I have one character, of every class, but I also have a variety of levels so that I don't go bonkers when I get sick of grinding repeatable faction quests. For example, right now I'm sick of the PoP repeatables so I'm taking a break and playing lower-level characters.

I find this gives me a much wider variety of activities, when I play, and it helps keep the game fresh.
    Lateana, Cyrrena, kingmob23 and 5 others like this.
  2. Berret1 Member

Looks like my last message didn't post!
    I'm curious, I've seen a lot of people talking about having multiple accounts but no one talks about how they manage them all! How do you do it? :)
    Cyrrena, Kristabella and Soara2 like this.
  3. Soara2 Well-Known Member

I have 2 mainly and I paid sub on the wrong one this month so have been leveling my test server characters. That whole AA slider business. I already had my live characters on that account to 110. So, guess I am not managing this too well. Lol
    Cyrrena, Rhodris, Blazen and 2 others like this.
  4. Feara Well-Known Member

I only have two accounts, my main and the other is mostly FTP with one toon who is my place holder for my crafting guild so that I can move from Guild to Guild with my main toons. I also purchase an account for my granddaughter (I am 51 and she is 17). There are a total of 5 members and 3 generations in our family who play. I see why you sub your husbands, sorry for your loss.

I am not a toon alcoholic, I have 9 main toons on my account, gotta have my crafters :cool: and I recently rolled toons on Test which I should of done many years ago. I find myself wanting to contribute to this game that I love so much any way I can.
    Cyrrena, Rhodris, Blazen and 2 others like this.
  5. Finora Well-Known Member

I have several accounts. Partly stemming from old EQ1 days where my husband and I would each run 2 or three characters because certain characters were often necessary for a group, even if that wasn't the character you wanted to be playing and getting loot for and having a cleric, druid, and wizard on accounts separate from your main account was great.

Back pre-mecenaries I'd do the same stuff as back in Eq1, running two accounts so I could actually get things done when I didn't have time or desire to commit to an actual group.

As for managing them, I don't even try to keep up my main with the end game stuff. I'm just playing for fun now, not loots and power. I keep my other accounts because I've grown attached to the characters and the hopes that my kids and husband will play with me again over the summer =). I sometimes still 2 box and just do whatever my mood wants. I know I will never get all of my characters leveled and geared for 110 stuff, so it'd be insane for me to try. Working on crafting though slowly for the horde.
    Cyrrena, Rhodris, Rosyposy and 3 others like this.
  6. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

I have six accounts - because I have started several guilds on my own. Two of them are all-access, and my main account is also gold. I wish they were all gold, but alas, it's too late.

I keep a MS Excel workbook with a data sheet listing each toon. I have various other sheets, and pull pivot tables from my main data sheet when I want to drill down to something specific. (It's also partly because I don't want to lose my Excel skills. :cool: )

The only time all six accounts have been logged in was when I created the guilds; there is NO way I could 6-box. I do 2-box sometimes, but often I just play one toon.

My main guild on HoF raided and did a lot of heroics the last few xpacs, but our active membership has changed and we no longer have enough folks to do either. =(
    Soara2, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  7. NurmYokai New Member

"Why I Have Multiple Accounts"
    That started with running older content to collect raid trophies. There was little to no interest in running Veeshan's Peak at the time. You needed four different food groups to get past a certain dragon in VP; four accounts. Today that's a one-shot, but not then.

During slow times I use multiple accounts for fun and a challenge. Occasionally helping create guilds.

And for the occasional laugh. Sometimes a seriously ridiculous level of amusement.

Old content beware.
  8. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

I began to play several accounts at the same time, not always nevertheless, from time to time, but in all target type-games more than 10 years ago. And I cannot play mmo in a different way, differently as several accounts any more. To tell more precisely, it's not interesting to me to run one box. But the capacity of my computer limits me

All you have to do is:
    1) To support level of your fine motor skill in good condition
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine_motor_skill
    2) To seize skill not to press second time the left key of mouse upon transition from area of one active window (box) to another also active (in system tray). At first the skill of management of two windows (boxes), then three and so on becomes firm. Did you learn to control pedal of an accelerator of your car? It approximately too. This skill as ability to float or ride bicycle. When it's acquired you don't think further as you do it
    3)Technical obstacles. Needed to understand that "office computer" "will not pull" most likely more than two boxes in an active status during time of your game session. Kernels and gigahertzes are needed. Needed to be able to monitor OS productivity. Needed to understand as used access memory, which about 2 gigabytes on the account can be required is used. Briefly speaking it's needed to have game computer. And to be capable to use its hardware and its programs with understanding
  9. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I have 6 accounts - one all access, and five free to play. The only time the free accounts are logged in are if I have created a new character on the main account and want to join her to the guild I started. I periodically think about 2-boxing with some of the free characters, but haven't gotten around to trying that yet. May never, either - depends on how I feel on the day lol.
    Soara2, Cyrrena, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  10. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I have 4 accounts and like Rosy use spreadsheets to manage them all. I have all the events spreadsheets attached to them so there is a checklist for each character for all the events and holidays so they do not miss anything. There is a tradeskill recipe list for each and every recipe in the game so no crafter misses a recipe whether it is a faction recipe or a drop. I have quest checklists for everybody. Its basically a mish-mash of EQ2U,EQTraders, and EQFurniture. But I started it before I knew any of those existed. I do not box, I do not have the coordination to do so, even putting a character on follow it never fails I run them off a cliff or get them stuck on a rock or something and have to go a long way back to find them, so I just don't bother.
    Soara2, Rosyposy and Breanna like this.
  11. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

You are right. This game is quite good in order that it was interesting to play only one box (not for me) . Partly, and even in many respects, the affection to boxes was as a result of deficiency of game resources (here their surplus) and therefore extreme difficulty in overcoming of strong mobs, even impossibility of it differently than group of several characters (and this game in this plan is much more friendly). I think, many people continuing to play boxes, were motivated with the similar reasons. There are servers where approximately now, several players, everyone controlling group of the characters battle against very strong opponent. It can take place and here too. However, here boxers are limited to considerable number obligatory for application in fight of skills each character and hardly battle at the same time more than two (because just there is no time for use of skills of three and more characters during battle). Another thing is that it's possible to receive benefit from friendly buffs of passive characters of the group
    Cyrrena and Soara2 like this.
  12. Almee Well-Known Member

I primarily two-box but there are times when I will play three or more accounts at the same time. I usually limit this to times when on pair of characters are having to wait for a long spawn (30 minute wait) so I'll call up another pair, to do an easy quest or two, so that I'm not wasting play time.

For example, today I was hunting werewolves, in LP, and I had to wait for dark. Naturally I got there at the crack of dawn so I knew I would have a long wait. It was a good opportunity to clean out bags on other toons, on another account, while I waited.

I find two accounts are really handy; four accounts can be challenging; and six accounts is insanely complicated. But I'm attached to the characters, after all these years, so I try to play all the characters, each day, even if it is just to do an apprentice daily task. This has been much easier to do now that I mainly play on Maj'Dul.

Despite four of my accounts usually being FTP they still bring in a considerable amount of money, for DB, with the purchase of xpacs, and like now, when all six accounts are gold. But finances simply won't allow me to do that very often. Fortunately, this is the time of the year, when my utilities are at their lowest, which gives me a little extra money to play with. I'll make all six accounts gold, again, during the last month of the summer Panda quests--assuming they have them again this year.

And once the CD xpac goes on sale, I will upgrade to Premium packs for all my accounts. It's a shame they are so expensive as I'd rather use my money for monthly subscriptions, on all my accounts, but even at half price, that is a considerable layout of money for six, upgrade, Premium packs.
    Lateana, Breanna, Cyrrena and 2 others like this.
  13. Crock Member

I used to have a main account, with one toon being the one gathering all the achievements and everything the game has / had to offer. And second account to accompany for some old raid content, where mechanics didn't allow to proceed with just brute DPS / one-shot. Admittedly, second instance of EQ2 with accompanying toon following the main, could be quite a hassle to manage in real time with pressing the right keys and timing abilities correctly, but it allowed for some otherwise impossible gateways, like the final bosses in Plane of War which can't be done entirely solo due to old nasty scripts. Two instances of EQ2 - two accounts - two toons helping each other in real time, can be the way to go sometimes. If you can figure it out by yourself.
    Cyrrena and Soara2 like this.
  14. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Obviously as to beginners in EQii it's possible to recommend to try to play two accounts some time. For the best understanding of the game, how interaction in group is carried out. As there is a communication in chat. As quests are carried out in common. As skills of one character affect another, etc. Performance of quests for two at the same time will save to you a lot of time if both of them need to execute these quests. Or for three, etc. Briefly speaking - try! You will better master EQii, will better understand others, and as a result - derive more pleasure from the game and from communication in it. Playing two characters you can learn and check many things in this game without distracting other players once again. If you don't want to interact and/or to communicate with others, then two accounts at the same time or more it are healthy. And if you want to interact and/or to communicate with others, then and then - two accounts at the same time or more it's well.
    The hint - the second way of switching between active accounts this use of several virtual desktops (it seems - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/desktops (this utility inconvenient) but it's better to replace Windows Explorer with KDE or to look for other utility for these purposes) at the same time. Use of two and more monitors is represented to me excessive as one your character sees another, and you see both and on one monitor
    Soara2 and Cyrrena like this.
  15. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

As long as you use no third party software to control keystrokes of additional characters logged in, you are good.
    Soara2, Breanna and Rosyposy like this.
  16. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

I use one computer with two wide monitors. I can have up to four accounts showing at once. This way I don't need any fancy hardware or tricks to change between screens. I simply mouse across to which ever screen I need. This makes it very easy to have all characters interacting with an NPC. Of course, I do make extensive use of in-game macros to speed things up a bit. And the slowest character is always in the lead too;)