Why have the "overcap" stats?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Prayos, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Prayos Well-Known Member

Okay, ELI5. Why have the "overcap" stats? Why not just raise/remove the cap altogether? Is it a gatekeeping thing? Is it a hardware/software limitation?

Also, since the stat turns blue when it's at/passed the cap, why not just let the number climb? It'd be nice to know exactly how much fervor I have and need to compensate for with overcap.
  2. Benj Well-Known Member

The easy and cynical answer is that the devs wanted yet another stat for us to chase, rather than reworking the stats we already had. It's probably not a technical limitation, as the overcap system would be harder for a computer to calculate (though in computer speeds, not that much harder).

Another possibility is to create trade-offs within the itemization, to force players to choose between items rather than chasing a single best-in-slot for every slot. In RoR, they certainly achieved this goal. I carry several Crit Bonus Overcap pieces and swap them in and out as necessary.

It has been a common request for years now to display both the actual value and the cap. I can see it being useful for a "quick view" of stats to only show the effective value (cap if capped, raw if under cap). I would certainly like to see both numbers when in my guild hall comparing items, but I would only like to see the effective value when I'm in combat and trying to cast spells which would increase fervor and effectively do nothing because I'm already capped.
    Iludiin likes this.