Why do people prefer the old ugly models instead of SOGA?

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Sakura, Dec 19, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

What would be nice would be for the new Skeletal models to have a weight slider, (Breast/Friliks/Spinalspikes qould each have their own as well)
  2. ARCHIVED-Cynzielle Guest

I tried to play with the old models on a few times, I even tried some of the suggestions seen on this thread and enable them on some of the races/sexes, but to no avail. I always just switch SOGA on every model, it's just so much smoother and a nicer appearance despite the proportion issues.

But it is a personal preference and to those who don't like the idea of other people seeing them as something else, well it's not like you can see what they see... I know it bothers me to think that people can view my character as her not so pretty original version, but there's nothing I can do about it and as long as I think they see me as I see it, there isn't a problem.. ^.^
  3. ARCHIVED-Lichbane Guest

Barbarian women look downright horrid with SOGA. They look mean and with no shred of humanity. No thanks. I'll stick with the old models.
  4. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Fuzzlefizz@Najena wrote:
    I could have sworn that Barbarians were Pre-Humans ;) with Erudites being Post-Humans.
  5. ARCHIVED-TheLopper Guest

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this also, but my DE's legs look slightly...malformed in the SOGA model form.

[IMG]
    Notice around where the knee starts of the calf is oddly pushed back, almost as if the character is leaning forward...this has always bothered me about that particular SOGA model.
    Here is a comparison of both models:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  6. ARCHIVED-TheLopper Guest

Another thing I noticed with Kerran Females...look at their backs, the armor is upside down. I don't know how long this bug has been about, but that always irked me about Kerran Females.
    Can you imagine how this bug persists? How come more people haven't noticed this and said "Dubya-tee-eff!?"
  7. ARCHIVED-MW2K2 Guest

Where's the comparison of the leg area? ;)
  8. ARCHIVED-WeatherMan Guest

Zabjade wrote:
    Okay....

<straps Zabjade to a chair and forces him to listen to William Shatner's Greatest Hits as punishment for the previous remark>

Now then, aside from the evolutionary ladder comparisons...

Barbarian women are one of the very few that I not only have no preference either which way, I have usually had no trouble getting the SOGA form to look fairly cheerful. Well, at the least, not torqued off. Maybe it's a (poor) recompense for not being able to make my original-model humans look decent.
  9. ARCHIVED-Nuladen Guest

[IMG] [IMG]

While I don't think the SOGA model (right hand side) is bad it's so odd in proportion I just cannot play with it on.
  10. ARCHIVED-eqaddict101 Guest

Tbh Had I known about SOGA when I created my toons I would have Only made ones with no option to see them in SOGA mode .. We have had this convo in my guild several times.. I just can't stand SOGA and I wish that they would fix it so that
    people only see my toons the way I choose to be seen.. I have a gnome with cute glasses and wild hair and a nice preportioned little body and ya turn on SOGA and she is hidious!!
    Also my lvl 80 Conj is a Erodite /cry she is pretty as far as bald Lavender colored ladys go .. But when I see her in SOGA it makes me want to delete and start over lol.. EQlive did have much cooler looking Erodites for sure but I like my EQ2 Erodite in the original form.. She is sleak and smart looking.. Turn on SOGA and she looks like she had a bad boob job :( .. Her neck grew 3in longer and instead of going out adventuring she is a secretary casue she has the secretary spread 0.o (IE her butt and hips gained 40lbs lol)
    IMO the SOGAs are ugly... Yes I know every one has diffrent taste.. But I just wish again there was someway we could have it where we are seen by all the way we choose to look...
    Any ideas if there will ever be changes in the models?...
  11. ARCHIVED-Aenielle Guest

Nuladen@Lucan DLere wrote:
    ZOMG! Special effects!
    But really, the problem with the soga model in this particualr case is the length of the torso/legs (the skirt thingy he is wearing prevents us from seeing exactly where does the torso end/legs begin).
    Anyone that ever took some art classes will remember the frist thing learned about human body representation; the 1/8 rule.
    Basically this states that humans are a more or less proportional species following the simplue rule of mathematics, the human body can be split into 8 equal height segments using the head as the first one (the one that determins the segment size). That would be the ideal body offcourse- less ideal variants can range from 7 segments (stocky) to 8 1/2 segments (particulary tall and lanky).
    Now the original model falls shorter then the ideal, having a stociker feeling (and seeming his head is somewhat large for his body) but that is actually a pretty faithull representation of about a third of the human species.
    The Soga model on the other hand is a bit taller then the ideal (a trick ofent used by artists when depicting heroes), but it was made so in a rather clumsy way.
    When elongating a human body one should still respect the canon wich states: When the arms are at the side, the wrist bone aligns with the groin area.
    If you dont the forearms will appear too short, or the legs/torso will appear too long.
    Also worth mentioning is the rule of 2 heads per shoulders. On a normal human shoulder width, side-to-side is about 2 to 2 1/3 heads wide. The original model follows that rule, Soga clearly doesnt- wich makes the head too small for the shoulder width.
    Now if the Soga model used a very athletic body type, that could be pushed as intentional (body builders for example dont fit into the average category), but one can hardly say the SOGA body is that of a professional swimmer or a body builder- it is just missproportioned.
    Some people are more sensitive about body proportion perception, some never notice it at all; so some find SOGA models too alien like and some think they are just fine. And offcourse not everyone is build perfectly proportional and we often judge other by our own image
  12. ARCHIVED-Ishina Guest

In most of the threads on this subjects, there are hints of some planned combination of both models...

Is this true?

The day I am forced to use anything resembling the SOGA models is the day I quit.
  13. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

TheLopper wrote:
    o_O He looks Cross-eyed in the Original model.
  14. ARCHIVED-Xanzibar Guest

Ishina wrote:
    Hopefully it's less of a "combination" and instead more of a "something vastly superior to either"!

I agree the the original models look clay-like (especially the numerous examples of play-doh hair), but I still prefer them to the SOGA models. The hints of an anime style aren't appealing to me, and the proportions seem "off"... . Also, there aren't nearly as many hair/beard choices on the SOGA models (at least, not the ones I looked at). And most of the options that do exist look like the emo Arasai hair (which may be fitting for the Arasai, but not every-freakin'-body).
  15. ARCHIVED-Amphibia Guest

Whoa, another SOGA vs original model discussion? Oh well, why not...

I've always preferred the SOGA model for male humans and elves. Why? Mainly because it gives the elves some sorely needed height (the original models are short like dwarves, unfortunantly) and the original human and elf models are not exactly easy on the eye.. but that's just my personal opinion, of course. The original human is just weird looking (what's up with those eyebrows?), while the SOGA model have a much more handsome look about it. And the SOGA dark elves have just the right appearance, do you ask me. Sinister, evil and beautiful. The original dark elf often just ends up looking like some kind of blue, twisted version of Santa Claus....

With that said, I'll agree with you that the proportion seems a little odd on both models, especially on the elves. The upper body on the male SOGA elves seem too small, somehow. But on the original models, the whole body is too small for the head... so none of them are perfect, but both are acceptable. Except the original male wood elf, which tends to end up looking like a tan version of Michael Jackson.

As for the female models, that's a different story. Take the original human female, for example - I think I've only known one person who actually likes them the way they are. They're very hard to make nice looking, and their breasts seem way too heavy for the rest of the body. The SOGA model is prettier (imo), but the proportions are all wrong and their legs are nothing but sticks. They also stand, walk and run funny. As for the elves, the original models are pretty enough, but the wood elf, half elf and dark elf are so short I could mistake them for dwarves. The high elf model is very nice, though. But the soga version of the female elf models are just as bad is the human models.

As for the other races, the female SOGA erudite looks like someone who's been really unlucky with a breast surgery. The male SOGA gnome's nose is nearly as big as the rest of the gnome, and the halfing male looks like a 10 year old boy....

.... and was all I had to say about that. :p
  16. ARCHIVED-Wildmage Guest

Nuladen@Lucan DLere wrote:
    the soga model on the right looks like he should bleed green and hail from a desert planet.
  17. ARCHIVED-MW2K2 Guest

Every time I look at it...

Those calves are HUGE and Popeye arms!! O_O
  18. ARCHIVED-Zehl_Ice-Fire Guest

I'm sure this has been said but I must add my opinion or I'll die!!! LOL
    I think most soga models are not that great. I keep dark elf female on old model and half elf and sometimes wood elf.
    I spent 2 hours designing Zehl in Dec of 05 and I love how she looked. DE girls look awful in soga, and the hairstyle all suck IMO. I loved the original hairstyles and spent a half hour trying to pick originally.
    DE boys and WE boys I prefer in soga, DE boys are ick in original, WE boys are still hotties in original.
    WE girls, half and half, my wood elf is cute either way, I think original we girls are adorable.
    half elf, I designed this georgous sultry vixen, and in soga she is so blah, cute but blah.
  19. ARCHIVED-WeatherMan Guest

Xanzibar@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    There are rumors - rumors, mind you - that the bodies will be new and exclusive for each race (i.e. all wood elf males will have the same body, all halfling females will have the same body, and so forth), but all will be built around a universal skeletal structure. This is the semi-mythical 'skeletal revamp we have all heard of - in the way we have all likely heard of the Sasquatch, but will likely never see one.

And then, on top of that, we have the heads. This might be the combination Ishina had heard about, but basically, this means you are allowed to choose one of the two heads you have now, original model or SOGA, and that is the only head you will display or that other people will see from that point on. The thought of having to look at elves in SOGA makes me want to toss my cookies, but more importantly is the idea that the owners of those elves will be afforded the option to display their night elves dark elves in SOGA mode...or what have you.

However - as I said, this is just a rumor. Until a dev confirms it, you should (as with most things relating to this game) not hold your breath.
  20. ARCHIVED-Amphibia Guest

WeatherMan wrote:
    Personally, I hope this happens. It would be nice if people see my character as I see him, because that's what he looks like to me. He's looked like that since I made him, and while I wouldn't quit if I'm forced to see him in clay-version, it would be disappointing.....

[IMG]

My toon is the redheaded prettyboy to the left, not Mr. Clayman to the right.

I also hope that if this business about the alternative and original models are gonna share bodies is true, that they'll be generous with the height slider and let us keep the height on our toons. Many of them are taller in SOGA, and personally I prefer that. If I wanted my character to be short, I'd pick one of the more than half a dozen midget races.