Why do people prefer the old ugly models instead of SOGA?

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Sakura, Dec 19, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-sassafras Guest

Sakura wrote:
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer the non-soga models mostly. They look less cartoonish to me. There are some races where I prefer the soga male vs. the non-soga female and vice versa. To each their own. I wish it was tied more to our individual characters and not the other persons graphic preferences. It's alot how you see yourself versus how others view you. I'd prefer others to see me as I see myself. It's disappointing when I see a group photo where I am in soga model posted somewhere, because in my opinion, it's not the true me.
  2. ARCHIVED-Arslan2000 Guest

As I said earlier, what we all need to keep in mind is that when(if?) the skeleton revamp happens, all of this is moot. At that point we will all be starting with the same block set again. What I would like to see is the more venomous detracters from both sides calm down. Insulting other players because they play the game they want to see is none of our business. If anyone started insulting me via tells or in broadcast, I would immediately report them for harrassment. As a kerran player, and a fan of the Vah Shir, I do hope they make the Kerrans look better.
  3. ARCHIVED-Wildmage Guest

Arslan2000 wrote:
    I've looked at EQ1's Van Shir and EQ2's kerra and I don't see what exactly it is about Kerra other than the name, and the obvious jump in graphics between games that makes one look significantly different from the other.
  4. ARCHIVED-Arslan2000 Guest

Wildmage wrote:
    The female Kerran look skinny and spindly. Their bodies seem twisted out of proportion. In other words, they neither look very humanoid or feline. It's not like the sarnak and why they are bent. The female kerrans look off. The female Vah Shir looked so much better. The male kerrans have a good proportioned body, but their faces look fat. I never could get the slider to streamline the face or make it more feline in my point of view. They remind me of Saint bernards with jowls that's what the phrase I am looking for.

Some people disagree I am sure. It's only my point of view. Hopefully they do look into it though.
  5. ARCHIVED-MW2K2 Guest

Only problem with comparing the Kerran and the Vah Shir is they aren't the same race. The Vah Shir are from the moon Luclin while the Kerran lived on a small island off the coast of Toxxulia Forest on Odus.

EQ1 Kerran
    EQ1 Vah Shir

Keep in mind that the Kerran model is EQ1 of old, original release so isn't as up to date looking as the Vah Shir model but it still illustrates the difference.

The Kerran were small and thinner than the Vah Shir. I'm guessing this would have been an evolutionary circumstance of the Vah Shir having to live in a lot more hostile environment. Heck, maybe it was just the air. /shrug But as far as I know, they aren't the same race of "cat" at all. Kinda like **** Sapiens and Neanderthals. Both are "man" but different races.

BUT, I will say there are flaws with the Kerran model and it would be nice to see them corrected (like females feet are too small but IMO, ALL Kerrans should have KERRAN feet, IE cat feet, not fur covered human ones) and I never liked that they stood completely erect and always thought that using the Erudite model exactly how it is but retextured was wrong. Kerrans should remain lean and svelte but be more cat like in the body make-up.
  6. ARCHIVED-Guy De Alsace Guest

Always thought Kerran's in EQ2 looked like the Maasai tribesmen/women of Africa with the way they stood. It always struck me that way.
  7. ARCHIVED-Wildmage Guest

Snowdonia@Runnyeye wrote:
    Ill assume your aware that the Van Shir are just a geographically separated subspecies of Kerra and looking at those pictures I still see the Van Shir as just looking like upgraded graphics on the old Kerra Model only they get to wear shirts and pants. In Either case my POINT would be don't hold your breath for a second Cat race to ever show up Kerran, in EQ2 are the reintegration of the two previously geographically isolated subspecies. So rather than waste breathe demanding another Cat Race offer constructive criticism of the current Kerran/Van Shir hybrid race models. For the record I also hope that during the skeletal revamp they make Kerran and Iksar feet not look so inexplicably human looking.
  8. ARCHIVED-Arslan2000 Guest

Wildmage wrote:
    Let's see if I can spell better this post. My last post made my eyes bleed after I came back a day later to read it.
    Actually Wildmage, all I am hoping for is an update to the Kerran's look. I know better than to hope for a second feline race. Really that would be redundant.
  9. ARCHIVED-Wildmage Guest

Arslan2000 wrote:
    my god a sane reasonable post I may die of shock
  10. ARCHIVED-Arslan2000 Guest

I try to be reasonable most of the time.
  11. ARCHIVED-Yunna Guest

I for one only use the SOGA models. The old models are just horrible and have even less visual appeal than if they'd be replaced with cubes with "This is a human" written on the sides in pixelated low-rez textures.
  12. ARCHIVED-Trepan Guest

De gustibus non est disputandum

I juggle the Soga models for some sexes of some races on, some not. I enjoy the old Ogre model over the Soga (Kabuki monsters don't thrill me) for either sex. I've shifted back and forth a couple of times on other once depending on my mood.

I'm happy we have the option to choose!

Edit: "a grotesque bald robot child from the 8th plane of utter vile damnation" is my favorite quote from this thread )p
  13. ARCHIVED-Kursa Guest

I hate the SOGA models. So nasty.
    Even in my BIO, I have a message that says "I prefer to be seen in non-Soga please"
  14. ARCHIVED-Mirander_1 Guest

I go about half-and-half with the races that have the SOGA option. I use SOGA for all the various human and elven races, and use the originals for the following:

Ogres: just don't dig the klingon look

Gnomes: they lose the crazy old man look in SOGA, and that's just wrong.

Dwarves and Halflings: the proportions are all wrong on both of these. Dwarves aren't buff enough, and halflings aren't fat enough.
  15. ARCHIVED-Ceibalk Guest

The Half-Elve SOGA models make me feel like I'm playing some crappy Final Fantasy game. :O
  16. ARCHIVED-Morningside Guest

While this thread has lasted a long time, with various opinions being expressed on both sides of the fence, we have had to step in to remove several recent posts that were against the Forum Rules. Please remember that personal attacks and insults will not be tolerated.

Furthermore, if you happen to witness a clear violation of the Forum Rules, anywhere on the boards, it's always in everyone's best interest for you to use the Report link so that we can deal with the situation accordingly. Responding to such post usually ends up getting more people involved on the wrong side of the discussion.

Thank you.

Morningside
  17. ARCHIVED-Ceibalk Guest

Yet they don't remove my post..

=)
  18. ARCHIVED-Sapphirius Guest

Ceibalk wrote:
    Hehehe. Your post wasn't a personal attack.
  19. ARCHIVED-WeatherMan Guest

Mirander_1 wrote:
    I'll agree completely with the gnome part - the SOGA gnomes are just...wrong.

I agree that the SOGA ogres could stand to lose the Klingon bone ridge, but otherwise, there is enough there to keep me from using the horrid original model. That, and I know there will never be a re-work to lose the ridge, anyways. It is a small price to pay, in my opinion, to play an ogre that actually looks intelligent.

Humans, I use SOGA, if only to avoid the Down's Syndrome-and-Claymation look of the originals. Try as I might, I simply can NOT get the look right.

Elves? Original, no doubt, despite any gripes I may have - I've seen strung-out crack addicts on the local skid row who look better than SOGA elves, and the 'caught in the automatic rice-picker' SOGA elf ears...ugh, massive Creosote-style technicolor yawn. I have labeled all SOGA elves as descendants of Azerothian refugees (if not the actual refugees themselves). As I no longer play 'that other game', it bugs me that I have to look at elf reminders from it.

Dwarves and halflings - lately I've been separating by gender for these - original model for males and SOGA for females. With dwarves, the SOGA makes the females look...well...female, while the males still retain that 'classical' dwarven look. I simply cannot stomach the 'Dwarves - where the men are men and the women are, too!" look for the distaff side. I have problems with the SOGA look, sure, but compared to the alternative, I'll deal with it.

Halflings are a bit more complicated.

Males are easy - to me, they are the Norrathian personification of where the U.S. population is going - overweight, diabetic alcoholics who need to join Overeaters Anonymous. Original models, no doubt.

Females present a problem - I use SOGA mainly because I have a bruiser, and bruisers are supposed to be in good shape. I don't want a fat bruiser, so I simply state that she's a pre-Rivervale Misty Thicket cellwair-style throwback - which explains her fit physique, pointed ears, and so on. She has a permanent illusion that shows a 'normal', fat halfling, and people who cannot pierce it see only that, not the physically fit engine of destruction that she really is. It amuses me when I hear the dialogue of the troll NPC's in Freeport licking their chops - imperceptive lackbrains, the lot of them (I am betting they inspired the 'illusion' statement that I ripped off to use in my own bio). And I smile when I picture them even trying to grab a quick halfling snack, and getting their heads pulped for their efforts. Bruisers are brutal fighters, and being short and innocent-looking only makes it all the more amusing to me.

The conflict arises when I view certain characters that I know are better in original mode - the missus plays a halfling warden that has opened a soup kitchen/homeless center (and she did an awesome job on this!) in Beggar's Court - she walks around with a giant spoon on her back, she's a provisioner, and...well, she should have a plump, homebody look, and it irritates me that I can't view her as intended and keep my bruiser's look the way I want it.

So admittedly, I try to make a case for why I view certain races in the light I do, although (as with elves), I know many people will not agree with why I say what I say. I am hoping the skeletal revamp will solve more issues than it creates.

Edit: Spelling
  20. ARCHIVED-Nurvus Guest

I couldn't stand the old models back in the day. I didn't really get into EQ2 until I tried it with the SOGA models. I like how the SOGA models use decent quality textures to skin the models. They're not perfect at all, but I just don't like how the old models look all weird and clay-like.